Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

I recently bought the new iPad 10.5 pro. And I’m trying to find something that will work on my van and not be totally be in the way. 9F3D20D3-36C6-45FA-A273-E0CB5E19C344.jpg

stevenboise

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
Member #

I recently bought the new iPad 10.5 pro. And I’m trying to find something that will work on my van and not be totally be in the way. View attachment 76291
We have a 10.5" iPad in our Tundra. I can tell you, there is nothing you can do with an iPad that big that won't, "be in the way." We compromised as best we could, and when it's not needed we take it down (especially on the highway) so it won't become a dangerous flying object when the airbags go off at 50+ mph.

But it will always be blocking access to the center console controls; or bumping up against the passenger's knees; or in your sightline out the front window.

Reactions: CaptainBuilt

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

We have a 10.5" iPad in our Tundra. I can tell you, there is nothing you can do with an iPad that big that won't, "be in the way." We compromised as best we could, and when it's not needed we take it down (especially on the highway) so it won't become a dangerous flying object when the airbags go off at 50+ mph.

But it will always be blocking access to the center console controls; or bumping up against the passenger's knees; or in your sightline out the front window.
That's what I'm araid of. I also have a iPad mini 2. I'll probably end up just using that. Even though, the new iPad 10.5 is so freaking sweet.

stevenboise

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
Member #

That's what I'm araid of. I also have a iPad mini 2. I'll probably end up just using that. Even though, the new iPad 10.5 is so freaking sweet.
We love ours. For us, it’s worth any inconvenience. Super easy to read while driving a full size rig.

I bet a smaller one would be just fine in a Taco or such.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
IMG_6696.JPG

7.5” I-Pad Air2 in my 5th gen Runner! Works perfect, beat the heck out of it in Death valley and never came loose or got in the way!

Reactions: Drifterman

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I will be purchasing a Panavice for my Outback
Not a fan of the Panavise mount for the 5th gen Outback by itself. I currently use it as a 2nd, stabilizing point for my iPad/inReach but that’s about all it’s good for. My experience is that there’s way too much movement and that’s before ever even hitting a trail. Perhaps it’s much better with a short arm and something lighter than an iPad Air2 but it’s also on the other side of the center console.

Here’s my post in this thread covering my current setup.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/ipad-mounts.11129/page-4#post-270753

Last edited:

bumpo83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

Not a fan of the Panavise mount for the 5th gen Outback by itself. I currently use it as a 2nd, stabilizing point for my iPad/inReach but that’s about all it’s good for. My experience is that there’s way too much movement and that’s before ever even hitting a trail. Perhaps it’s much better with a short arm and something lighter than an iPad Air2 but it’s also on the other side of the center console.

Here’s my post in this thread covering my current setup.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/ipad-mounts.11129/page-4#post-270753
That was my concern with the Panavise.... I love how it utilizes points behind the dash for attachment without having to cut/drill factory dash pieces but on this particular bracket only having one screw mounting it had me suspect to overall sturdiness. My wheels are turning and may end up using in a similar application ad you. I am also thinking of modifying one for the opposite side of the dash to use as a mounting point for an xmount and my iPhone. I will definitely be referencing your pictures when I tackle this winter project!! As always, than you tons!!

91B/91S

For Ram mounts, which is preferred, metal or composite size "B" balls? Looking to use with iPad Pro 10.5.

Thanks

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
For Ram mounts, which is preferred, metal or composite size "B" balls? Looking to use with iPad Pro 10.5.

Thanks
The composite works really well and sometimes is the only option depending on what part(s) you’re looking for but if you have the option... metal all the way.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Composite grips better than the metal ones.
I’d have to disagree since the metal ones are rubber covered. I have other brands that are bare meta that can lack some grip until you really clamp down on them. I’ve never seen a 1” metal RAM ball that wasn’t rubber covered and they grip amazingly.

91B/91S

Thanks fellas for replies regarding composite vs. metal Ram mounts. The reason for my question is I recently purchased the Panavise mount for my truck and did not know if metal versions of the Ram mounts would be too heavy to mount my iPad Pro 10.5 inch.

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 12.39.49 AM.png

RAM MOUNTS: https://www.rammount.com/consumer/brands/apple

I am currently running the Ram Mounts iPad mount and Phone mount on my Vector Offroad JKE dash bar. I am also utilizing the GAIA GPS application on my devices. The red thing on my visor is a DUAL GPS Receiver puck for instant blu-tooth GPS reception for my iPad. (Must download the maps prior to leaving to an area without cell service or wifi to use though) I have found the Apple iPad will NOT acquire your position without WiFi connection. Strange since you would think the GPS receiver would allow for the iPad to acquire your position on the maps online but the iPads need offline maps to opperate under these circumstances.

djmocknh

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

3rd Gen Tacoma.
  • Hondo Garage Un-Holey (This is the only part specific to my application.
  • Ram standard arm on 1 diamond mount and 1 round mount.
  • Ram EZ-ROLL'R for iPad Mini
I didn't like the looks of the white apple power cab to I ran it in some spiral loom. This also allows me to neatly add additional cable up to the mount should I decide to add something like a hotspot or such.

As always, you can't go wrong with Ram in many applications. Solid, well built, and adaptable for location and device.

IMG_0348.jpg IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg