Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Hello guys, new member here. Waiting for my badge number to be assigned. I'm in Des Moines and recently picked up a Jeep Commander. Its all stock for now, but I'm hoping to get a couple things ordered after the holidays. Hopefully a steel bumper w/Spare tire carrier and a lift kit. Not sure how much overland stuff I'll ever do, but, who knows!
Welcome to the forum. Always loved the Commander. Nice rigs with great capabilities.

TRYAGAIN

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Des Moines, Iowa
Member #

What are some of your favorite camping spots around Iowa? Maybe we need to coordinate small camping group as the Iowa members continue to grow.

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

What are some of your favorite camping spots around Iowa? Maybe we need to coordinate small camping group as the Iowa members continue to grow.
For me, I'm mostly on some property we own in Southern IA. I need something with 4WD to get around on it as there are some hills down into a creek. I don't camp there yet, as there aren't bathrooms around. (I do like camping, but not that primitive.) Also need the V8 w/towing package for towing the boat down there as well. Slippery wet ramp, so need to be able to pull the boat out of the water, etc.

Reactions: TRYAGAIN

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Wish I could say we camp in Iowa, but we don't. I like to head North when I can up to the U.P. of Michigan. Since my wife isn't much of a camper, we usually stay in cabins. We like remote locations, but she doesn't care to sleep on the ground. I spent 15 years in the Army so I'm fine with a poncho. lol. We're hoping this year to finally buy a camper though. I would also like an M416 to modify for overlanding and put an RTT on the top. Other things we like to do in the winter months is drive up and down along the Mississippi River and watch for bald eagles. Well, I enjoy it. My wife tolerates it.

Reactions: SteveR and TRYAGAIN

TRYAGAIN

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Des Moines, Iowa
Member #

I guess I got pretty lucky! My wife likes camping and sleeping on the ground lol We are also in the market for a RTT and M416 trailer, but it seems that everyone wants a ton of money for these trailers now. I'd consider building one, but have no experience in welding at the moment.

We recently stayed in our first cabin at Backbone and loved it, but I still like being secluded in the woods. I've looked into the U.P. of Michigan, and it looks like a blast!

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

I guess I got pretty lucky! My wife likes camping and sleeping on the ground lol We are also in the market for a RTT and M416 trailer, but it seems that everyone wants a ton of money for these trailers now. I'd consider building one, but have no experience in welding at the moment.

We recently stayed in our first cabin at Backbone and loved it, but I still like being secluded in the woods. I've looked into the U.P. of Michigan, and it looks like a blast!
I struggle with a RTT...it'd be much cheaper to find an Apache Eagle camper and mount that on an offroad style trailer IMO. Some have done just that...I struggle with the expense of them (RTT), with the added weight, etc. I think a trailer would be much more flexible.

phil

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Altoona, IA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Bryant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0APX
Another new member from Iowa checking in. I bought my WJ in the spring of 2014. For the most part we camp in state parks whenever we can get a weekend away. My favorite destination has been Colorado but we started focusing on Iowa parks last year for accessibility. It's really helped us appreciate the beauty hiding in our own backyard.

Reactions: ShawnR and TRYAGAIN

TRYAGAIN

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Des Moines, Iowa
Member #

Welcome @phil, This group is growing pretty quickly! I agree that there's a ton of great parks here in Iowa. Really surprised with the diversity of the parks.

Reactions: phil

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
We spend a lot of time in N. MN during the summer. My wife also won't camp, so you're not alone there. We're in cabins on the lakes up there boating and having a good time.
Northern Minnesota is a place I'd like to spend some time exploring.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army

Lots of great places to explore. Drummond Island is on my bucket list.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Another new member from Iowa checking in. I bought my WJ in the spring of 2014. For the most part we camp in state parks whenever we can get a weekend away. My favorite destination has been Colorado but we started focusing on Iowa parks last year for accessibility. It's really helped us appreciate the beauty hiding in our own backyard.
Welcome to the forum. If we keep getting more Iowans on here, we might actually have enough people to put together a weekend meet up.

Reactions: phil and TRYAGAIN

TRYAGAIN

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Des Moines, Iowa
Member #

Welcome to the forum. If we keep getting more Iowans on here, we might actually have enough people to put together a weekend meet up.

That would be awesome! There's a guy with an FJ at my work that I've been trying to run into to talk about overlanding, but who knows if he's even interested. The more members, the better!

Reactions: ShawnR

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

I posted this in the Rigs/Trailer section...but I just picked up this trailer today. It has some nice potential. Its a 1949 Supreme Off Road trailer. Thinking its the perfect jumping off point for an overland camping trailer.

Supreme_Trailer_1.jpg

Reactions: TRYAGAIN and ShawnR

TRYAGAIN

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Des Moines, Iowa
Member #

That looks like a pretty nice base to start your trailer. I've been looking for one as well, but may just end up going with a roof rack with RTT for the time being. Take my time finding the trailer I want and refurbishing it. Although I have little experience in that area ha!

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

That looks like a pretty nice base to start your trailer. I've been looking for one as well, but may just end up going with a roof rack with RTT for the time being. Take my time finding the trailer I want and refurbishing it. Although I have little experience in that area ha!
I'm a bit torn honestly. If I had to guess, my Commander will head off to college with my daughter in 18 mos. (Mine does not have the QD2, only the QT2 package.) So while its great in winter in the city, etc...its not the full off road drivetrain with a front locker.

We'll see. She'd like a Compass...so who knows. (I think I'd like a 4Runner, but they're pricey!!) So, by building a trailer, the tow vehicle(s) can come and go...but, like I said, no idea yet.

It does need a better hitch. I don't trust the one attached at all...tires still say 'Goodrich Silvertown', so they're at a minimum 30 years old. 16x6.00 , which says its a tractor tire. I do think a modern rim & trailer tire is required though.

Have a good week!

TRYAGAIN

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Des Moines, Iowa
Member #

Sounds like a little TLC will make the trailer go a long way. 4Runners are expensive! My wife really wants to replace our Infiniti G35x with one once our FJ is paid off, but we will see. I see you are in Johnston, I'm right down the street from you in Beaverdale. Let me know if you ever need help on the trailer, I'd love to check it out and learn to work on stuff like that.

Reactions: luchaDor