Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
Hey, new guy from Des Moines. Thought I'd stop in and say hello! Definitely not easy to find places around here to get off road unless you want to join up with the Jeep clubs or MIOBI and ride their trails on group runs.

My wife and I are just starting to build our new rig and our first planned trip is in the spring, headed to Superior National Forest for a few days. In the meantime we're just doing a bunch of weekend camping to sort out our gear but we might have to check out those maps SteveR posted.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Hey, new guy from Des Moines. Thought I'd stop in and say hello! Definitely not easy to find places around here to get off road unless you want to join up with the Jeep clubs or MIOBI and ride their trails on group runs.

My wife and I are just starting to build our new rig and our first planned trip is in the spring, headed to Superior National Forest for a few days. In the meantime we're just doing a bunch of weekend camping to sort out our gear but we might have to check out those maps SteveR posted.
Welcome to the forum. Superior National Forest is my kind of place. I lived in Phoenix for several years so I've no desire to head West. We generally make a trip to Northern Michigan each year. If money were no object I'd have a place up North somewhere. What vehicle do you have for overlanding?

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
We have an 05 Explorer Limited. Right now we're working on the interior storage since we've been doing a ton of weekend camping (I'm sitting in front of a campfire with a beer and a stogie as I type this haha) and once we have that and the electrical sorted I'll start working on suspension and driveline. The storage system is actually proving to be a challenge in itself. Almost all of our gear, plus a cooler (eventually a fridge), water and spare fuel, will all be carried inside the cabin in an effort to put as little on the roof as possible. Packing for this weekend was kind of a dry run before I finish the drawer system; see what fits and where, what needs adjusted or added. We want to upgrade to a rooftop tent at some point so we're basically designing our storage with that in mind.

Our trip to Superior in the spring will be another test run, as well as a trip down to The Ouachita mountains next fall. All of this is in preparation for two extended trips, the first one is a solo trip for our 10th wedding anniversary in 2018. That journey will take us through a northern route to Redwood National Forest and then back to Iowa on a southern route. The second trip will be a group run to Moab with a few of our friends. Part of that trip will be across Black Bear Pass and Kokopelli Trail so I have a ton of work to do to make sure the Explorer makes the trek in one piece.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
We have an 05 Explorer Limited. Right now we're working on the interior storage since we've been doing a ton of weekend camping (I'm sitting in front of a campfire with a beer and a stogie as I type this haha) and once we have that and the electrical sorted I'll start working on suspension and driveline. The storage system is actually proving to be a challenge in itself. Almost all of our gear, plus a cooler (eventually a fridge), water and spare fuel, will all be carried inside the cabin in an effort to put as little on the roof as possible. Packing for this weekend was kind of a dry run before I finish the drawer system; see what fits and where, what needs adjusted or added. We want to upgrade to a rooftop tent at some point so we're basically designing our storage with that in mind.

Our trip to Superior in the spring will be another test run, as well as a trip down to The Ouachita mountains next fall. All of this is in preparation for two extended trips, the first one is a solo trip for our 10th wedding anniversary in 2018. That journey will take us through a northern route to Redwood National Forest and then back to Iowa on a southern route. The second trip will be a group run to Moab with a few of our friends. Part of that trip will be across Black Bear Pass and Kokopelli Trail so I have a ton of work to do to make sure the Explorer makes the trek in one piece.
Sounds like a couple awesome trips planned. I put a roof rack on my JKU for additional space, but use it sparingly. Mostly light stuff. Eventually would like to build/buy a trailer and put an RTT on top of it. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Start a build thread if you're inclined to do so on here. And enjoy the cigar by the fire. That's about the only time my wife won't complain anymore if I light up a CAO Brazilia or a Rocky Patel.

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
I'll get a build thread going at some point. Just got back to Des Moines and processing what we learned. Definitely need to make some changes, but strangely enough we repacked everything for the drive home, better than we did when we left yesterday. Go figure. We definitely have a lot of work to do, just prepping for Moab will be a two-year process but that's mostly due to budget and timet; we simply can't afford to throw down for everything all at once, and even if we could, my job keeps me busy so I only have a couple hours here and there to work on the truck. It'll come together, though.

Reactions: ShawnR

SteveR

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marion, Iowa
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Richmond
So if you have 4 days and stuck in the mid-west, where would you go for a fun, slow, relaxing overlanding/roadtrip? I have thought about driving and doing a couple of days of the TAT or just staying around the midwest. Thoughts??? Possibly soing this over Labor Day Weekend...

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
Hmmm... Well, I know next summer/fall we're going down to the Ouachita National Forest. It's a solid ten hours with fuel stops (9h7m on Google Maps) but that leaves two full days to explore.

Edit:

There's always those route maps that were posted. Thinking about checking those out over Labor Day weekend.

Last edited:

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
So if you have 4 days and stuck in the mid-west, where would you go for a fun, slow, relaxing overlanding/roadtrip? I have thought about driving and doing a couple of days of the TAT or just staying around the midwest. Thoughts??? Possibly soing this over Labor Day Weekend...
Tough one. I'm a Northern kind of person though. I'm contemplating plotting a route up along Lake Michigan and stopping at the light houses and photographing them, as well as the old forts and such along the lake shore. Otherwise, a trip to the Ozarks and a little trail riding on one of the Jeep Badge of Honor trails. The wife and I are also looking at going to Kentucky to the Noahs Ark exhibit. Looks pretty cool. But we have to pre order our tickets online. So if we don't make it, we're out the money.

TRYAGAIN

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Des Moines, Iowa
Member #

Hey guys! I just recently joined the community, I'm in Des Moines and would love to meet up with some of you for some adventure travel in the future!

Reactions: ShawnR

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Hey guys! I just recently joined the community, I'm in Des Moines and would love to meet up with some of you for some adventure travel in the future!
Welcome to the forum. I haven't been on as much in awhile but it's good to see the Iowa ranks growing. I'm on the Eastern side of the state in Davenport.

Reactions: TRYAGAIN

Robert Walker

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Burlington, Iowa
Member #

Not very many people from Iowa on here. I'm thinking about becoming a member, I have been working on a overland trailer for my Jeep on and off the last 5 years. This group has kind of re sparked that desire to get out and explore more.

Reactions: ShawnR and TRYAGAIN

TRYAGAIN

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Des Moines, Iowa
Member #

Not very many people from Iowa on here. I'm thinking about becoming a member, I have been working on a overland trailer for my Jeep on and off the last 5 years. This group has kind of re sparked that desire to get out and explore more.

That's awesome! You should join! I'd love to build a trailer, got any pics of it?

What part of Iowa are you in?

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
[
View attachment 11261
Burlington. It's on the Mississippi River in the lower southeast part of the state. This is what it looks like right now. Have some plans for it spring and hope to have it in the spring.
I'm just up the road from you in Davenport. I travel down that way once in awhile. There are a few others on here from Eastern Iowa as well. We all faded away during the summer months, but will probably see a resurgence now that the snow is falling again.

TRYAGAIN

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Des Moines, Iowa
Member #

View attachment 11261
Burlington. It's on the Mississippi River in the lower southeast part of the state. This is what it looks like right now. Have some plans for it spring and hope to have it in the spring.
Nice looking trailer! What platform is that? I've been searching for a M416 trailer, but they are hard to find at a good price anymore! I was just out on the Mississippi River in Harpers Ferry and it was pretty awesome. I need to come check out the southern part.

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

Hello guys, new member here. Waiting for my badge number to be assigned. I'm in Des Moines and recently picked up a Jeep Commander. Its all stock for now, but I'm hoping to get a couple things ordered after the holidays. Hopefully a steel bumper w/Spare tire carrier and a lift kit. Not sure how much overland stuff I'll ever do, but, who knows!

Reactions: ShawnR and TRYAGAIN

TRYAGAIN

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Des Moines, Iowa
Member #

Hello guys, new member here. Waiting for my badge number to be assigned. I'm in Des Moines and recently picked up a Jeep Commander. Its all stock for now, but I'm hoping to get a couple things ordered after the holidays. Hopefully a steel bumper w/Spare tire carrier and a lift kit. Not sure how much overland stuff I'll ever do, but, who knows!

Welcome! I just received my official badge/package today! I'm in Des Moines as well, I'm glad to see a few more DSM people here. A few have chimed in from eastern Iowa.