Iowa

• HTML tutorial

ChewBaccus

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

West Des Moines, IA
Member #

Hey everybody! I live in West Des Moines and own a 2008 Ram 2500 Megacab Diesel. New to Iowa (moved from Northern CA in June), and new to Overlanding. But I love the outdoors and exploring! I'm used to camping and backpacking up in the Sierras. I'm looking forward to getting out and exploring the region!

So, my first question is....where are the nearest mountains??

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

Hey everybody! I live in West Des Moines and own a 2008 Ram 2500 Megacab Diesel. New to Iowa (moved from Northern CA in June), and new to Overlanding. But I love the outdoors and exploring! I'm used to camping and backpacking up in the Sierras. I'm looking forward to getting out and exploring the region!

So, my first question is....where are the nearest mountains??
First, welcome. I moved here from the East Bay about 15 years ago. Funny enough, I lived and worked where OB HQ is in Pleasanton, CA. Nice town...ok, technically, I was in San Ramon.

If its mountains you want...they're about 8 hours West.

Reactions: ChewBaccus

ChewBaccus

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

West Des Moines, IA
Member #

First, welcome. I moved here from the East Bay about 15 years ago. Funny enough, I lived and worked where OB HQ is in Pleasanton, CA. Nice town...ok, technically, I was in San Ramon.

If its mountains you want...they're about 8 hours West.
I appreciate it! I know San Ramon and Pleasanton really well! I grew up on the other side of Mt Diablo in Antioch, and I worked in Concord and Walnut Creek. Then I moved around the area a bit after I graduated and got married.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using OB Talk mobile app

ChewBaccus

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

West Des Moines, IA
Member #

Does anybody know of a trusted 4x4 and/or Diesel mechanic in the Des Moines area? I'm currently out of the area and I would like for my wife to take my truck in to get it serviced before the winter hits. The problem is that, since I'm new to the area, I don't have a network of mechanics yet.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Iowa thread bump!

How’s everyone doing? have some safe holidays. Still need to meet up with some of you on the east side. (Dubuque here)

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

Looking at some repairs on the Commander before I can really trust it out of town again...so its just my 1 mile commuter for now. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!

Tbell18

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dubuque, Iowa
Member #

Going good for me as well. Back in Johnston for the holidays and break from school. Installing a set of skid plates with my dad while I'm home. Rear bumper should be done in January. Id be down to meet up anytime assuming school timing allows it. Merry Christmas and Happy New Years everyone

Tbell18

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dubuque, Iowa
Member #

Hey guys, I’m finally getting around to lifting my Tacoma. I think I’m going to go with a Toytec lift. Any shop recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I have bought some parts from total truck on 2nd avenue. Everyone there was nice to deal with. My buddy had his wrangler and his duramax lifted there without an issue.