Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wakefield, NE, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

Hey guys I'm starting to get back into being on OB more. I'm over in Sioux City. Any idea for meet ups or a trip as group? I frequent the DSM area since my fiance is from there.

Lijink

Rank 0

Traveler I

I am a newbie here. Moved to Ames, Iowa from India 6 years back. Love travelling and overlanding. I have been to all 49 states in US and the 50th state will be completed this December (Super excited :grin:).! Future plans for overlanding to central and south Americas. Very interested to meet up like minded people who loves travelling and overland. Ping me up for any general meet up or weekend trips. I am so glad to see lot of Iowans here in the forum :blush:

Have a stock Lexus Land cruiser with a Tepui roof top tent. We create videos and movie when travelling, but don't have a YouTube channel yet.

Attachments

Swhirstein

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Davenport, Iowa, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Hirstein
Member #

I am a newbie here. Moved to Ames, Iowa from India 6 years back. Love travelling and overlanding. I have been to all 49 states in US and the 50th state will be completed this December (Super excited :grin:).! Future plans for overlanding to central and south Americas. Very interested to meet up like minded people who loves travelling and overland. Ping me up for any general meet up or weekend trips. I am so glad to see lot of Iowans here in the forum :blush:

Have a stock Lexus Land cruiser with a Tepui roof top tent. We create videos and movie when travelling, but don't have a YouTube channel yet.
Very cool, Welcome! How do you like your Tepui? I just got an old M416 trailer and now looking for a roof top tent, been reading a ton of reviews both on this forum and various online sites.

Reactions: Lijink

Lijink

Rank 0

Traveler I

Very cool, Welcome! How do you like your Tepui? I just got an old M416 trailer and now looking for a roof top tent, been reading a ton of reviews both on this forum and various online sites.
We really love our Tepui. Our model is Kukenam sky.

Good-
Cheaper compared to most other brands.
Mine sleeps 2 adults and a kid comfortable.
In built comfortable mattress
Good quality materials

Bad-
Wind noise
Heavy- Need 2-3 people to mount and take off. So we mounted it permanently now.

You are more than welcome to look at the tent, deploy it, get in to it and may be take the rig for a test drive to hear the wind noise. We live in west Ames :)

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Swhirstein

Swhirstein

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Davenport, Iowa, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Hirstein
Member #

We really love our Tepui. Our model is Kukenam sky.

Good-
Cheaper compared to most other brands.
Mine sleeps 2 adults and a kid comfortable.
In built comfortable mattress
Good quality materials

Bad-
Wind noise
Heavy- Need 2-3 people to mount and take off. So we mounted it permanently now.

You are more than welcome to look at the tent, deploy it, get in to it and may be take the rig for a test drive to hear the wind noise. We live in west Ames :)

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Cool. Thanks. I will let you know if I am ever up in your neck of the woods.

LabOps

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Its nice to see this thread is picking up again. I am having some really bad cabin fever and can't wait to get out camp!

I would be interested in seeing how many people would be interested in a meet up over at Yellow River State Forest. While its not really the boonies there would be plenty of room to set up camp around vehicles and then go on hiking, fishing, ect. for those who want to.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Places-to-Go/State-Forests/Yellow-River-State-Forest

Tbell18

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dubuque, Iowa
Member #

Its nice to see this thread is picking up again. I am having some really bad cabin fever and can't wait to get out camp!

I would be interested in seeing how many people would be interested in a meet up over at Yellow River State Forest. While its not really the boonies there would be plenty of room to set up camp around vehicles and then go on hiking, fishing, ect. for those who want to.

I’d be in for some camping and hiking there!

Reactions: ChewBaccus

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

ya i need to plan some trips

Swhirstein

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Davenport, Iowa, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Hirstein
Member #

Scenic View Campgrounds is near there and a nice spot to camp & kayak. They will take you up river so you can float back to the campgrounds or will follow you downstream to drop your car off and take you back to the campgrounds so you can kayak to your vehicle. My wife and I went 2 years ago and hoping to go back this year.

OverlandIowa

Rank II

Advocate II

That's my neck of the woods! I work in Waukon, which is like 20 miles from the forest. There are a few cool spots to drive, but a lot of camping areas and hiking/mtb areas. Here's a pic from the forest I took last year..

It's a small trail with this water crossing. I didn't explore any more of it, but plan to later this year.

ChewBaccus

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

West Des Moines, IA
Member #

Stopping in to say hello, I live in Des Moines and work in West Des Moines if you see me around stop and say hello!

Hey there! Don't know why I wasn't getting post notifications, but I live in WDM. I look forward to seeing you around! If you see me around, Holler!20180310_143011.jpg

"The best part of getting lost is finding yourself!"

Reactions: lmyamen

ChewBaccus

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

West Des Moines, IA
Member #

That would be great! I'm definitely interested!

Tbell18

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dubuque, Iowa
Member #

That's my neck of the woods! I work in Waukon, which is like 20 miles from the forest. There are a few cool spots to drive, but a lot of camping areas and hiking/mtb areas. Here's a pic from the forest I took last year..

It's a small trail with this water crossing. I didn't explore any more of it, but plan to later this year.
If you want someone to explore with up there let me know! Im down in dubuque right now but I have family in Decorah. I may have even seen your t4r when i was up there this summer parked at the hiking trail kinda behind topling and goliath

Reactions: OverlandIowa

OverlandIowa

Rank II

Advocate II

If you want someone to explore with up there let me know! Im down in dubuque right now but I have family in Decorah. I may have even seen your t4r when i was up there this summer parked at the hiking trail kinda behind topling and goliath
Yup that's where I mountain-bike. The trails in Decorah are epic. I think I saw your rig one night when I was at Pulpit Rock Brewery and my jaw dropped! lol

Reactions: Tbell18

Tbell18

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dubuque, Iowa
Member #

Yup that's where I mountain-bike. The trails in Decorah are epic. I think I saw your rig one night when I was at Pulpit Rock Brewery and my jaw dropped! lol
Ill have to bring the bike up next time and try out the trails. Lol thanks but now i feel bad for distracting you from the beer!

ChewBaccus

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

West Des Moines, IA
Member #

Man, there were a lot of loaded up SUVs and trucks rolling through Des Moines today! It seemed like everybody was heading out on adventures. Not gonna lie, I was a bit jealous, lol.

Reactions: Road

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I haven't been on this board in awhile. Glad to see so many people from Iowa joining in. Hoping this crappy weather breaks soon so we can get out and enjoy some hiking and camping. I don't mind the weather, but the wife hates it.