Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

Has anyone camped in the desert by yourself?
Our first night in the Chihuahuan Desert. Not for the faint in camping but for the truly adventurous. This remote area of West Texas features rugged mountains, steep canyons, amazing views, unparalleled night skies, and solitude in a high desert setting.
It was spectacular! Check out some pics here: Video

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

Has anyone camped in the desert by yourself?
Our first night in the Chihuahuan Desert. Not for the faint in camping but for the truly adventurous. This remote area of West Texas features rugged mountains, steep canyons, amazing views, unparalleled night skies, and solitude in a high desert setting.
It was spectacular! Check out some pics here: Video
I have. It can be spectacular.

When I drove the Pony Express trail from Salt Lake to Lake Tahoe I’d initially planned to go with friends, with my son as my co-driver. One by one, they all dropped out, so I charged up my InReach and went solo.

The trail is not technical, and the experience was beautiful.

Reactions: Tommys

UAmatt89

Rank IV

Advocate II

Sierra Vista, AZ, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Carroll
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6HNY
Service Branch
USAF retired
The next 2-3 months is perfect weather for camping in southern Arizona. In SE Arizona you're in the transition zone between the Sonoran and Chihuahuan deserts. You'll find warm days and cool nights whether you're on the desert floor or in the mountains. In summer, the sky island mountains are a must to get relief from the heat at a few thousand feet of altitude with the added benefit of tree cover.

Of course Death Valley (below) is really nice this time of year too.
DSC07105.JPG

Reactions: AustinBlack

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

"Has anyone camped in the desert by yourself?"
Why yes, many times. But not in this particular area. It looks nice, thanks for the look.
BTW, what town or city might I be seeing in the background of this shot from your vid?
Ojinaga, Mexico!

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

The next 2-3 months is perfect weather for camping in southern Arizona. In SE Arizona you're in the transition zone between the Sonoran and Chihuahuan deserts. You'll find warm days and cool nights whether you're on the desert floor or in the mountains. In summer, the sky island mountains are a must to get relief from the heat at a few thousand feet of altitude with the added benefit of tree cover.

Of course Death Valley (below) is really nice this time of year too.
View attachment 276013
Fantastic!

AustinBlack

Rank I

Contributor III

utah
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Black
I've been going to various places in Nevada for decades. Here is a link to one of my trips on my blog;

And if you like videos;

Nice, thanks for sharing. I will surely check it out. Another thing that I want to tell you is: do you also think that sometimes these assignments get very hard to complete? If yes, then you can get help from this UK Assignment Help - Best Experts. Cheap Prices. Online Support. website, which will write for you if you pay them. I have used them, and I can say that they are the best in terms of price, and when it comes to their work, they are very professional in it.

Nice, thanks for sharing. I will surely check it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: genocache

UAmatt89

Rank IV

Advocate II

Sierra Vista, AZ, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Carroll
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6HNY
Service Branch
USAF retired
Not quite alone, but I just returned from three days with a buddy in the Dragoon and Chiricahua mountains southeast of Tucson.
tempImageXsNDai.png
tempImagenCPxj8.png