Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

i do plan on putting more windows in, but it seems like some windows are questionable at best, so i'm going to see how the one i ordered ends up being for quality and ease of install. i saw some vents that i'd like, but the ones i like are about half the cost of getting a window, so that's why i went this route. the cheap vents haven't sold me on preventing water intrusion and also sealing out dust when on dirt roads.

socal geek guy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

this is the window that i got, i plan on getting some automotive seam sealer for install.

it is unavailable now, but it was around $110. i'm crossing my fingers its decent quality and if it is, i'll look into getting maybe 2 more. looks like the brand is "land camp".

yesterday i measured out door dimensions and my rv style latch/lock dimensions, then made templates in cardboard to play around with location to see what works and what doesn't before cutting into the door. i'll most likely get that installed this weekend and finish up the side door.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
The picture looks like a decent product. When I got mine, Rec Pro had the best selection. With everyone "staying Home" for COVID, they sold out of their products quickly and last I talked to them were having issues getting new ones.

Seal the window with this Butyl Tape. Make sure you put it in the freezer for a bit before installing it. Otherwise the tape will stick to the backing paper and make your life miserable if you don't.

Looking at your window, it said for 1.5 inch wall. If your wall is thinner than that, you will have to make a shim out of some wood so it clamps properly.

socal geek guy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

awesome tip on the butyl tape, i never heard of that, but makes sense and will use it. with the wall thickness, i will be real close, if not right at the 1.5 inch wall.

i'm definitely seeing a huge amount of camper/rv parts seem to be a huge demand for sure. guess the van life has truly exploded into the mainstream.

thanks for the input and tips, great to hear this kind of stuff and i appreciate the sharing of knowledge.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I hope you will review the many good video's on you tube concerning converting a cargo trailer for camping. They cover everything that has been discussed here in the forum. Window installation, electrical wiring, flooring, both painting and vinyl covering, solar installation, and anything else you care to know. So far the advise you are getting here has been pretty good IMO.

The reason I am aware of these video's is because I purchased a 6x10x 6.6" interior height International Patriot model in December 2020. I originally put a deposit on a 5x8x5' high trailer. When I drove 220 miles to see and inspect the trailer I realized I needed something a little taller because of my recently acquired physical handicaps. They had a 6x10 on the lot that I had also put a deposit on just in case I wanted it. After inspection of both I decided on the larger one for my needs. I am in the process of doing everything you are having to do. I cant do the work on it myself and depend on hired help to do it for me. Help is hard to find presently but that has not stopped me from acquiring all the necessary building materials needed. The windows you ordered are the right thickness because the combined thickness of your 1" steel frame and the 3/8" plywood interior wall covering will make up the 1 1/2" window thickness after you seal the exterior with the butyl tape. Good luck with your project, I will be following you on this forum. This is my cargo trailer. I have not finalized my build plan as yet but I'm leaning toward this floor plan layout because of the rear storage and deck type ramp. I have an 8x8 screen enclosed canopy that will fit over the rear ramp to create an outside room.

Attachments

Reactions: wowf and grubworm

socal geek guy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

window showed up this afternoon and i hauled ass to get it installed after work while the weather was still nice (it's supposed to rain the next two days). got the hole cut in the skin, then cut the hole in the insulation and plywood wall. once i got the window mocked up, i put in a piece of 1 inch box tube to be just below the window and connect the two wall frame rails together. figured it would be a good brace and also a bit of support for the bottom of the window. went in pretty easy, but i still need go around with a bit of extra sealant to make sure i have a good seal.

i did get the rv door latch in the other day and both doors buttoned up with the plywood on the interior. moving right along .

a couple things i picked up when i went to get the 1 inch box tube for the window brace was some tie downs to help secure my gear from sliding around. i also got a dead bolt for each door (i may or may not get them installed in time for the weekend, and some great stuff expanding foam for a couple areas that are hard to reach that will need some insulation.

Attachments

socal geek guy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

i got a lot of little stuff done today and also got most of the front end put together. i put in new boards underneath on the curved edges in the front to fill the gaps in so i could put in foam to fill the rest of the voids in the frame. i still need to trim back the foam when it dries, then seal up those areas with silicone. since it's underneath the trailer, i don't have to worry about it looking pretty.

i got the front plywood wall back in, so the front is nice and insulated and no gaps where you can see daylight/the ground. i haven't put in the corner pieces that came with the trailer for the front part where the curved corners are inside. they used sheet metal and i'm not a fan of them and they're sharp edges. i'll probably get some flexible plywood and close it up. my plans are to use carpet on the walls, so you won't really see any of that, but there will be something solid to hold the carpet.

i used a little plastic storage bin as a little tray to hold my cell phone, keys, and other random stuff when i go to sleep. another thing i added was 2 coat hooks. i also added some tie downs shackles to the walls up front to secure my storage totes up forward and another one in the middle to have as a tether for my dog while we're in there. i wanted to have a secure place to anchor him to in case i need to hop out of the trailer in a hurry and don't want him jumping out with me.

the led rope light that i got shortly after buying the trailer was hooked up temporarily for next weekend's camping trip, but will be installed a lot nicer once i get the ceiling insulation and plywood cover installed. zip ties will do for now, and once it got dark i went out and tested them. i got a decent amount of light and it's nice that i can change the colors. i'm not sure how long these lights will last, but they should hold me over until i get a legit light/power system hooked up.

i'm pretty much good to go on most of the trailer, just need to finish the front sealing work. i also have a dead bolt for the side door and another for the rear door that i will get installed this week.

spare tires are a pain in the ass to find used and cheap without them being on super rusty wheels and 10 year old tires. ultimately i want to run the same wheels/tires that i have on my gl450, but that is a little later down the line. i just want a spare to hold me over.

Attachments

socal geek guy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

got dead bolts installed on the doors to make it easier to lock the doors from the inside and add a little extra security as well. i have the trailer set up good enough for a super basic camping trip this weekend, so i'm excited to spend my first night in it tomorrow night.

i think i have figured out a solution for the awning mounts, i just need to go to the hardware store and look if i can find materials to make it work. i'm even contemplating getting a cheap awning for the rear door, but it's not "mandatory" yet since i do have a canopy from rei that i can set up back there. eventually i'd like to set up a screen for both the rear door and side door for better air flow in the warmer months.

for now i picked up a $16 rug from ikea to use on the floor, it will probably be used outside once i get the permanent floor figured out. at least for now it will cover up some of the wood and help protect my air mattress for this trip.

speaking of mattresses, i'm still on the fence about getting a fold up mattress that could double as a couch. i have been thinking about a thicker regular foam mattress and store it by suspending it in the overhead, but drop it down on the floor when sleeping. this is all dependent on how heavy the mattress is, but i like that idea in order to keep the mattress clean/dry and to free up more floor space. i'm also considering making a removable platform for the mattress to be up higher and store bins under the platform. all still ideas and working out what direction to go, but it will make more sense after actually spending some time in the trailer out camping vs time working on stuff in the garage.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I started out planning on using a tri fold mattress as a bed/couch. I ended up making a platform and using an 8 inch thick memory foam mattress. All I can say is, wow, it is sooooo comfortable. if I went with the trifold, I would have used a mattress topper.
My platform is removable to access the hatch for my water tank and is hinged to access my floor compartment. When its in place, I stuff all kinds of crap under it.

I made my awnings with 1" eyebolts, tarp and painters pole's. I have small carabiners on the tarp to clip in when I want to use it. I have been using this setup on my cruiser for years. My trailer will get a permanent one eventually but for now, this works

socal geek guy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

nice, i've been leaning towards a full size mattress because most of the fold ups are 4 inches thick and i'm a big guy. i might just keep looking for now and use the air matress in the mean time.

i already have a smittybilt 6'x8' awning that i would attach to my roof rack on the suv, but it's going to be perfect for the trailer since its 8' long and so is the awning. will be nice when i'm a little further in the build.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
If you get into my area before you make something, check out this mattress. I never thought a foam mattress could be this nice

socal geek guy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

Took the trailer on a little camping trip this weekend and overall it was pretty good for the bare bones set up. it was nice having the solid walls as it was a bit windy, but not too bad. it was cold out and the trailer was still chilly inside, so i really do need to get the ceiling insulated (already planned on it, just need to get it done). i also need to get a little heater for those really cold nights.

the trailer towed well and did great under hard breaking when jack asses would cut out in front of me in traffic. on the trail, it bounces quite a bit, so i wonder about getting shocks on the trailer or switching to the timbren suspension later down the line. i'll run it as is for a while until i settle on a more long term solution, but it is something on my radar.

i really enjoyed the ease of loading up at the end of the trip and getting home was nice where i didn't have to completely unload everything.

here's some pictures from the weekend.

Attachments

socal geek guy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

Deep Creek Hotsprings Campground near Hesperia, CA. I had never been there and it was a cool little spot. The views were nice and the hot springs are a couple mile hike from the campground.

oh, and i forgot to mention that my air mattress finally died on the second night. i've had the $7 intech super basic air mattress for about 5 years and it served me well, so i don't feel bad. now it's time to get a mattress.

Last edited:

socal geek guy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

oh, for sure. there were a lot of things that i like with the timbren set up, eventually i see myself getting it. thanks for checking out the thread and thanks for the compliment.