Intel Needed for South Georgia (Lagrange, Macon, Valdosta, Savannah, etc.)

• HTML tutorial

thedaddybadger

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Dallas, GA, USA
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Boles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREZ965
I'm looking for solid intel on places to #GOXPLOR in the southern-half of the Peach State. I know North Georgia like the back of my hand, but I'm afraid once I reach the Piedmont and Coastal Plains areas of the state, I'm not well versed. Doesn't have to be technical or even "off road" but I'm looking for as much off-pavement and off-highway travel as possible, and point-to-point (no dead-ends). Thanks in advance!

Areas of particular interest that I'm hoping you can help me with ...

• Savannah / Brunswick area
  • Valdosta
  • Columbus
  • Waycross
  • Georgetown
  • Americus
  • Tifton
  • Bainbridge
  • Augusta
  • Sardis
  • Oconee

basically... anything south of the Columbus-Macon-Augusta line, but especially the Upper & Lower Coastal Plains regions.

adrianmorrell

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
Best place I can think of is to go explore the dirt roads West of the Okefenokee Swamp. I think that would be Clinch county. I spent a day over there exploring several years ago, but I can't really recommend any particular routes.

Watching this thread, I hope you get some good replies, because I'd like some good places nearby to go explore myself.

Adrian

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: thedaddybadger

zim87

Rank 0

Contributor I

Georgia, USA
First Name
Zim
Last Name
Lindley
Bainbridge doesn’t have much to offer in my opinion. I grew up there. You can get on some county dirt roads and they will lead you all over the place. If you have a kayak you should check out spring creek. Good luck

Jay61

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leesburg Georgia
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Brimberry
Member #

There are miles upon miles of grated county roads in Southwest GA. Sometimes when I am heading places in the area, Garmin will send me down them as a faster route. Especially in Lee, Sumter, Macon and Oglethorpe Counties.

Kenneth Rountree

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

634 North Broad Street, Lenox, GA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KR4LNX
I’m in the Tifton/Valdosta area. Not much around here off-roading wise. We have our share of dirt roads so it depends on where you want to go. One of the frontier roads in the area was the Old Coffee Road that I believe ran from Savannah, GA to Port St Joe, FL. Portions of it are paved, some are dirt and some are gone. One day I hope to do some research and try and ride whats left of it.

TheBeardedSam

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Norman Park, GA
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Baker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4OSP
I have driven the Georgia Adventure Trail from Rochelle (near Cordele) to the Florida boarder. Some of the roads are super sandy, but it’s just dirt roads. Scenic, but not intense.

There just isn’t much public land via National Forrests or WMAs down here. People off-road in the river beds (a practice I am vocally and adamantly opposed to) so it would be nice to see some good trails come to light.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

I can't agree more that there just isn't anywhere here(Savannah) or around worth a kaput!! I'd like to get a group together that is more in this area and plan some small excursions. Unfortunately for the time being I am limited on the days I can take off from work but I can make some stuff happen. I did get to go up and check out Boggs Creek and some of Vogel State park(forest service rd) a couple weekends ago. Haven't gone anywhere else or crazy though. Just getting started and working on trying to get my rig built.

TheBeardedSam

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Norman Park, GA
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Baker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4OSP
I am set on exploring Southwest and Middle GA over the next months. I will report any findings to this thread. My initial focus is on any speck of public land (WMAs). Let me know if there is an area you are interested in and I’ll try to check it out. I live next to Reed Bingham State Park, so if it’s relatively close, I’ll do my best.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

I am set on exploring Southwest and Middle GA over the next months. I will report any findings to this thread. My initial focus is on any speck of public land (WMAs). Let me know if there is an area you are interested in and I’ll try to check it out. I live next to Reed Bingham State Park, so if it’s relatively close, I’ll do my best.
Im about 3 and half hours east of there. Maybe theres something we can hook up on and explore?

Reactions: thedaddybadger

thedaddybadger

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Dallas, GA, USA
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Boles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREZ965
I appreciate that! I’ve covered the entirety of the GAT north-to-south. Love that route, and my buddy Tony for taking time out to create it. We’re actually creating a couple of longer routes that will (hopefully) connect GAT, GA Traverse, and a few other things together.

Until then, hope y’all can join the fun this weekend for our Backyard Campout. #backyardcamping (see: )

Dan Boles
Peach State Overland
www.peachstateoverland.com

DocMartin

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ocala, FL, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04IKI
We love Reed Bingham. We have camped there many times.