Inreach, which model and what plan?

• HTML tutorial

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

We have only had it for a month now and find the lowest cost freedom safety plan will work for us. With the three preset messages and the 10 base messages should cover us. And we can always jump up a plan if we have a big trip. Even if we have to pay for 10 extra messages a month it's only $5. Still a lot less than the next plan.

Our preset messages.

1. Got to/leaving camp. Everything fine. We send this when we get to camp and agin when we leave in the morning.

2. We are doing good, everything is fine. Setting waypoint. This is the one we send just during the day when we think about sending one.

3. We haven't settled on this message yet. The other two cover most what we need to send.

When you setup a preset message you also set who it goes to, So we have our two daughters and my wife and I and also the map webpage. You can put in emails addresss or phone numbers for text messages. You can also put in other peoples InReach ID and send them messages.

Hope this helps.

Todd

Reactions: eagle_A40

Dseck63

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Daly City, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Seck
Member #

Question here, I've been wondering how the sos works on this unit. My concern is going on a hike and having hit the button by accident so does the inreach confirm that this is what you want to do by prompting you with a yes/no option?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Question here, I've been wondering how the sos works on this unit. My concern is going on a hike and having hit the button by accident so does the inreach confirm that this is what you want to do by prompting you with a yes/no option?
There is a slider/switch (at least on the larger models) you have to move 1st and then do the SOS. While there have been false alarms I have never had one. Never come close to having one. Not sure how the other folks set theirs off.

Dseck63

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Daly City, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Seck
Member #

There is a slider/switch (at least on the larger models) you have to move 1st and then do the SOS. While there have been false alarms I have never had one. Never come close to having one. Not sure how the other folks set theirs off.
Thanks for clarifying, I'd hate to be one of the ones that make that mistake.