Inreach, which model and what plan?

• HTML tutorial

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

We have been looking in getting an Inreach and am getting some mixed information. Of course the SOS is one of the reasons we want one (that we hope to never use) but my wife wants it so out kids can reach us by text message if they need too. I like the idea of the breadcrumb trail. I read @1Louder message a few weeks ago and it got me thinking that we don't have a network of friends we could txt for help like in his case. We let family know where we are going and when we will be back, and I like the they could look at a web page and see our tracks.

I was told the mini will do breadcrumbs and I was told it wouldn't. Anyone know for sure?

Also I was told you make a white list of who you want to receive txt messages from and you only get those. I have to be on a group text thread for work and can get 25-30 messages in a weekend, I don't want to be paying for those. How do messages come? Do you get a notice then retrieve them?

I use Gaia for maps is there any reason to get the Explorer over the Mini?

What plan do you use and how well does it work out? I am still researching plans and looking for real use info.

Todd

Reactions: CTO1Mike

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
I have the Inreach Explorer. I have not started a service plan yet, so I would also be interested in any opinions.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I have the early version inReach by Delorme. Garmin bought them a few years ago. I have the Freedom plan because it allows me to scale up or scale down my service depending on what I need that month. Each tier runs a little more for that flexibility though. Unlimited texting is available on the expedition tier at 49.95/month on annual contract or 64.95 a month on Freedom plan. I have yet to move up to that tier. I am usually at the 14.95 Safety or 34.95 Recreation plan if I am gonna do breadcrumbs. On annual contract, those plans would be 11.95 and 24.95 respectively.

There is a way to use a Mapshare page to handle lots of messages but I don't know much about it. Sorry.

Reactions: Road and Todd & Meg

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

I have the Inreach Explorer. I have not started a service plan yet, so I would also be interested in any opinions.
I found this site that gives some good info. He writes off the safety plan because it doesn't work for him. But I think that is what we will go with on the annual plan because we don't have an off season. Also read the comments some good info there too.

Knowing the free preset messages also work as a tracking point is good to know. I saw one guy said he has a preset that says "Checking in, all good DO NOT REPLY" and will send it every hour or so, sometimes sooner if he is going in a tough spot (he is a solo backpacker and climber). also said it's important to leave a detailed plan with the people you are sending messages to.

The other useful info was one guy said most month 10 custom messages are find with the presets. But when he does a big trip, paying for the extra messages rarely will get him close the next plan price.

Todd

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I got the Mini just last week and subscribed to the Freedom / Recreational Plan. While there is Unlimited Preset Messages, I know my family/wife, they will want more details than just the 3 pretext that I can reply to. With the Freedom Plan you can suspend your subscription the months you will not use the device, which I will do.

There is also the extra yearly insurance that supports the SOS for Search and Rescue calls should you ever use it. It's like $17.95 / year.

InreachPlans.JPG

The Mini does have tracking. You can choose between 10 minute tracking send internal and 1 second log interval (eats up A LOT of battery), 10 minute tracking with 5 minute interval, and extended tracking mode with 30 minute tracking send interval.

Not sure about group text since I have no contacts that have an Inreach device. You are however, assigned an InReach email address. I have already sent test messages to myself (free) and you get the messages either on the device (InReach to InReach) or via the Earthmate app or an email, which can show your location as well.

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
I got the Mini just last week and subscribed to the Freedom / Recreational Plan. While there is Unlimited Preset Messages, I know my family/wife, they will want more details than just the 3 pretext that I can reply to. With the Freedom Plan you can suspend your subscription the months you will not use the device, which I will do.

There is also the extra yearly insurance that supports the SOS for Search and Rescue calls should you ever use it. It's like $17.95 / year.

The Mini does have tracking. You can choose between 10 minute tracking send internal and 1 second log interval (eats up A LOT of battery), 10 minute tracking with 5 minute interval, and extended tracking mode with 30 minute tracking send interval.

Not sure about group text since I have no contacts that have an Inreach device. You are however, assigned an InReach email address. I have already sent test messages to myself (free) and you get the messages either on the device (InReach to InReach) or via the Earthmate app or an email, which can show your location as well.
Yeah, I have read up on all the plans, just was wondering how people used the different plans and what was their thinking behind the decision.
I am also still considering how I will be using my Inreach and how often that will be. At least for now I will know where on the planet I am located. LOL

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Yeah, I have read up on all the plans, just was wondering how people used the different plans and what was their thinking behind the decision.
I am also still considering how I will be using my Inreach and how often that will be. At least for now I will know where on the planet I am located. LOL
Yeah I can't image that I will use it that often and will just use of course for emergencies. With 3 kids, 10 and under, who knows what can happen. Plus we can use the device when we are on vacation in other parts of the world, not just overlanding.

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
Typically I go with the Freedom/Recreation plan if I will be out 2 or more weeks. I send the free presets each evening and morning from camp to family and friends that are following along and of course my designated overwatch. The MapShare page lets those I wish to have following me see my progress pretty much in real-time. I save the other messages for whatever might happen.

Remember, the InReach has an electronic address just like your phone. I find it very useful to have the InReach address for others I am traveling with. You can communicate InReach to InReach, though there may be a delay based on how often you have your InReach set to check for messages. That capability has helped me rendezvous with friends in areas where we couldn't communicate any other way.

Also, whether you have an active plan or not, the InReach will Bluetooth to your phone or tablet providing fairly accurate GPS data. I run Gaia on an iPad and this set up hasn't failed me yet.

Reactions: John Smith

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
If you send a text message to a group text with five other people will that count as one message?

Todd
From what I see here if you send one message to say 5,10 people that is one message. But if 3 of 5 reply back, then that 3 counts as separate messages/costs. Total of 4 used messages.

Last edited:

Greg Rich

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Talent, Oregon
First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7KAI
I bought a used InReach SE off eBay a couple of years ago and it has worked out very well for me. I went with the annual Safety plan after much debate and am glad I did. I am often out of cell range when I am out exploring. What prompted the purchase is my wife is very nervous when we get out of cell coverage due to my medical condition. I needed something simple and foolproof in an emergency. I also wanted some way to contact friends if I needed less than emergency help. The ability to send texts via the InReach fit the bill and has been handy in occasionally sending "all's good" messages. My logic in going with the Annual Safety plan was that for the price difference I could pay the overage charges a number of times and still be money ahead. I use it year-round so I didn't think having the option to change usage plans by month was worth the extra money. As I mentioned earlier, this was a good choice for me.

As an earlier poster mentioned I also use GaiaGPS and an iPad for navigation. The iPad I have does not have a GPS chip so I Bluetooth link to the InReach to get my GPS signal and it works great! I can also then use the Earthmate app for texting via the InReach. One of my concerns regarding texting was if all my regular texts would get sent to my InReach but that is not how it works. The InReach has its own unique address so only someone responding to your text sent from the InReach, or someone you have given your InReach address to, can send messages to you.

Hope this information was helpful.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Timely thread, I go out along often and I sometimes worry about breaking down in a location with no cell reception, or even more likely a medical emergency. I've used all the punches on my open heart surgery card. I see these can be reasonable priced on evil bay. For under $200 I can have that peace of mind.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Also I was told you make a white list of who you want to receive txt messages from and you only get those. I have to be on a group text thread for work and can get 25-30 messages in a weekend, I don't want to be paying for those. How do messages come? Do you get a notice then retrieve them?
There is no phone number associated with these devices. So there really is no way to be spammed or for a group of people to randomly add you to a group text like your phone. You can set up a webpage via Garmin which will allow people to text you and see where you are. This can be password protected. Only folks with the password can reach out to you. I posted a screenshot of that in another thread.

The device will chirp when you have received an incoming message. You then read them on the device or on your smartphone or tablet. The messages remain your tablet until you decide to delete them. You create an address book with the device as well. This makes it easier for you to send messages to specific people. The manuals are free to download online. I would encourage folks to take a look at those prior to purchasing. It can give you a better idea of how these work. I am on a monthly plan basic plan. I don't send a lot of texts. In a pinch it is cheaper for me to pay the per message fee vs one of the higher plans with unlimited texts. A friend of mine is opposite. He has the unlimited plan and his family texts him a ton when he is out of cell range.

I have an older Delorme. At some point I would like to get the smaller device. These fall into the "How much is your life worth?" category of gadgets.

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

There is no phone number associated with these devices. So there really is no way to be spammed or for a group of people to randomly add you to a group text like your phone. You can set up a webpage via Garmin which will allow people to text you and see where you are. This can be password protected. Only folks with the password can reach out to you. I posted a screenshot of that in another thread.

The device will chirp when you have received an incoming message. You then read them on the device or on your smartphone or tablet. The messages remain your tablet until you decide to delete them. You create an address book with the device as well. This makes it easier for you to send messages to specific people. The manuals are free to download online. I would encourage folks to take a look at those prior to purchasing. It can give you a better idea of how these work. I am on a monthly plan basic plan. I don't send a lot of texts. In a pinch it is cheaper for me to pay the per message fee vs one of the higher plans with unlimited texts. A friend of mine is opposite. He has the unlimited plan and his family texts him a ton when he is out of cell range.

I have an older Delorme. At some point I would like to get the smaller device. These fall into the "How much is your life worth?" category of gadgets.
We did get a mini and have figured a lot of this out. I'll say I'm not impressed, it has taken up to 12 hours to send preset messages many times. Keep getting poor GPS signal, over the weekend we were on the rim for over a hour and it never changed from poor GPS signal. That was on the edge of the rim with no tree coverage. I probably need to call and see what the problem is, because as it stands, it's not very useful.

Todd

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
We did get a mini and have figured a lot of this out. I'll say I'm not impressed, it has taken up to 12 hours to send preset messages many times. Keep getting poor GPS signal, over the weekend we were on the rim for over a hour and it never changed from poor GPS signal. That was on the edge of the rim with no tree coverage. I probably need to call and see what the problem is, because as it stands, it's not very useful.

Todd
Sounds like I should stick with my old one until it dies. I’ve rarely had issues sending or receiving messages.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

Todd
Wow, the only time I have ever had a delay wih my older inReach is when I moved a large distance and first turned it on. Sounds like something is wrong with it. I would definitely give them a call. Keep us updated.

Greg Rich

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Talent, Oregon
First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7KAI
I have never had a problem getting a signal or sending messages on my older InReach SE either. I agree with Brewbud, give them a call, that shouldn't be happening.

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

I have been playing with is a little more. Seems like when it is in the Jeep I get poor GPS signal and it takes forever to get a signal. Even if I take it outside with a clear view of the sky. If I turn it off and back on outside It will send a message within 4-10 minutes.

Still need to call. I'll update when I hear something,

Todd