InReach Explorer hahaha

• HTML tutorial

mase001

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

i decided to get rid of my satellite phone and pick up an inreach explorer. Ordered it yesterday and this morning Garmin announced the new and improved Inreach Explorer+

That's my luck I guess

I did some reading and other than changing the case to a more traditional Garmin looking case and adding a few things i couldn't find any major differences. It's actually bigger and heavier now too.

I'll do some more research but looks like the older version may be more what I wanted anyway!

Anyone with more experience than me with the inreach that wants to look at the new specs and tell me if I am better off returning it and waiting for new one I'd appreciate it. Fwiw it says 6-8 weeks for approval before they can sell new one.

Thanks!
Mason

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

At first glance, I don't see anything that would make me want to drop it and wait.
What is your primary reason for the unit? SOS, Text Messaging, Tracking? Or GPS and navigation?

mase001

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

My primary goal is for emergency contact. That being said the draw of having a handheld redundant GPS with nav and topo maps (either good or not great depending on which review you read) is pretty high considering it's only $60 more than the SE

I think I'll just keep it. Don't want to wait 2+ months especially to find out it's essentially the same only bulkier!

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

We tried really hard to use it as an all-in-one... short story is the GPS and Earthmate App is sub-par at best.
However, the satellite comms are awesome! Once we gave up on the GPS side of the unit we came to love it a lot more. Now with the weather report option it's even better.
I think you'll be happy with your choice.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
We were behind schedule on day 1 of our latest adventure. Meeting friends in Moab and with no phone service they would have been clueless as to what our status was. While not an emergency being able to communicate easily via my InReach kept them informed. They helped book hotel rooms for us because by the time we arrived we were in no mood to setup camp. Great product. Now for the + will have to wait and see. I prefer to use my phone and tablet for navigation and carry backup power sources for them.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

NoOneBetter

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I saw the announcement for the new model too, just a month after I purchased the Delorme Inreach Explorer. So far its been great to use, hopefully I won't miss to much of the new features.

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

We tried really hard to use it as an all-in-one... short story is the GPS and Earthmate App is sub-par at best.
However, the satellite comms are awesome! Once we gave up on the GPS side of the unit we came to love it a lot more. Now with the weather report option it's even better.
I think you'll be happy with your choice.
When I was looking, I was told the same thing from multiple people, that the GPS was worthless. I ended up ordering the SE on sale for $229. It will live in my truck and be blue-tooth tethered to my tablet as a GPS receiver. That said, I can pretty much guaranty that the new one set to be released with Garmin GPS will be a well working unit, but I don't plant on dropping that kind of coin on it considering I already own a few handheld Garmin GPS units.

Contributor I

Oman
I have had the SE model for some time. Great unit and use it all the time here in the 3rd world. I thought that the navigation feature of the Explorer was a bit much so I went with the Comms only model. The + version does have a baraometer that the older model does not. Probably not enough to justify the price difference.

RichardS

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charleston, SC
Member #

I've got the InReach mounted with a RAM suction cup. I want to be able to use it to run Gaia or Off-Road Trail Guide (shameless plug for a buddy's company). Haven't figured that out yet.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Henrik Strand

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Exeter, New Hampshire
Member #

I just got one for our rig. Mainly just a peace of mind and emergency beacon for us, but never hurts to be able to pinpoint our GPS location as well. Looking forward to really testing it out more once we hit the trails harder!

Reactions: RichardS

American Overlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Waconia, MN
Member #

I use my inreach explorer with my wifi iPad. I use both Earthmate and MotionX gps for nav. This combo is amazing. The SOS is important when I'm in Northern Mn in Superior National forest. No cell coverage. Also my wife likes the 2 way texting. I wouldn't spend the extra money for the Garmin explorer since you wouldn't want the new maps on that small screen when driving. You just want the gps, sos, and texting.

Attachments

Last edited:

jsreid1

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Yuma
First Name
John
Last Name
Reid
Member #

I have the inReach Explore and love it. We had to use it this past year while canoeing down the Colorado River. We had someone tear a calf muscle. Once communications were established, the member was picked up by the NPS and taken to the hospital. This is a must have.

Last edited:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have the inReach Explore and love it. We had to use it this past year while canoeing down the Colorado River. We had someone tire a calf muscle. Once communications were established, the member was picked up by the NPS and taken to the hospital. This is a must have.
Great example of why 2 way communications is so valuable.

CatButt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redondo Beach, Ca
First Name
Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
LOVE mine...I also suggest a PLB of some sort. Yes the InReach might be considered that, but it is fairly low power. Most PLBs are 10 times the power AND on a dedicated system of gov't satellites. There are also NO monthly or yearly charges. The ARC PLBs start at $275 and guaranteed for 5 years of battery standby. I think both InReach and PLBs are very good tools to have in hand when out of cell range.

Jaydub514

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rangsipat
Member #

Definitely been meaning to pick one of these up mainly for sos / sat com purposes, so t feel like I would need the GPS functions on a handheld.

Is there a consensus best place to pick one up?

Reactions: reidbailey

reidbailey

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Charlotte
Member #

Definitely been meaning to pick one of these up mainly for sos / sat com purposes, so t feel like I would need the GPS functions on a handheld.

Is there a consensus best place to pick one up?
I'm a big fan of REI. They've always treated me well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jaydub514