• HTML tutorial

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-REVISED-HYBRID-CABIN/1942322.uts

So. Here is my take on a few things. As a New Overlander, and especially one who is not exactly made of money. I am looking at more of a budget then I would like at the moment, especially till I get a new career. So I started looking into decent sized, well made, ground tents. They will be easy to store and right now can at least strap to the rack once I order it. An RTT won't happen unless I can figure out a trailer situation.

I am more inclined to try and keep my rack open to storage and use. My goal for my rig will be anywhere and everywhere. I want my rack to be able to have my Kayak on it when its right for it and still be able to fit coolers, storage, whatever I may deem fit for that adventure. I am a very avid hunter so being able to transport game and game meat with coolers will be important.

This is the first tent I really got to looking over and the reviews are a huge help. Figured I would ask the opinion here and see if anyone else has recommendations. Thanks all!

Reactions: Drifterman

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Are you really after the "best tent" as your title suggests, or the best bang for the buck, best tent under $XXX, etc.? There are several really nice tents out there well over $1000, and really nice, usable ones under $100.

Here's a list of threads here on Overland Bound where we have discussed various tents, both rooftop and ground:
https://overlandbound.com/forums/search/272736/?q=tent&o=date&c[title_only]=1

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

I guess its a bit of both? I think its more of for my purpose? I mean I know you spend the money you get what you buy you know? So I guess best bang for buck but I am also looking to see whats out there and what I can get later in time.

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

There are so many options out there it's really a matter of personal preference in so many categories. I use a Marmot Limestone 6 because I can sleep a few people and dogs very comfortably, stand up fully inside and it takes me about 15 minutes to fully set up. Couple wool blankets under your sleeping pad and very comfortable to be in. It all packs away very easily into a manageable size that I put in a dry bag and strap to the roof. Doesn't take up much room at all but weighs about 19lbs. It was the right price at the right time and worked out well for me.

I should add, this tent has been used on about 40 camping trips and was blown off the roof of a car in the back country (while being moved in a very very lazy way) and rolled through many cactus AND was run over by some idiot on an ATV at a campground…no holes or scratches. lol

ClearwaterScott

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia, Missouri
Member #

I ended up buying a lightly used Nemo wagontop 6 person tent this past summer. I love it. Lots of space and you can stand up inside easily. The separate vestibule area makes great place for storing gear and the kids think it's super cool. Poles are a little long but my 6 year old helps me set up in less then 10. Great company with great reliability. Having said so, I have used marmot tents for many years. Last year my ten year old 2 person tent failed. When I sent it to Marmot they said it couldn't be repaired. And gave me $300 credit to purchase replacement from the website.

I've gotten a lot of used gear from used geartrade.com and a backpacking online forum. Lots of light weight and ultra light weight stuff there. I typically have made an offer below asking price and frequently get really good deal on near new equipment.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I'm not gonna lie.. I use a cheap Coleman fast pitch 6 man tent when I'm ground camping or camping from the wife's car
Cost me about $120 and sets up in 6 to 8 minutes. 99 percent of the time, however, I am in my truck with my try which is 100000 times more comfortable.

sexytacoma

Rank 0

Contributor I

Orange County SoCal
Member #

Honestly bro I started with a huge tent from Walmart cost $200 or something like that. Still have it to this day. It's done Utah 4 times and it even rained. Up and down Cali Coast. Fits 2 inflatable queen size beds. Now that I have the RTT I bring it along every time only because people always want more space. Or a changing area. Anyway my 2 cents.

Amansh

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Walker louisiana
Member #

I've got a coleman yarborough pass fast pitch I picked up for around 85 bucks at Academy. Seems more of a three season tent but we've been sleeping in snow the past week with very little issue. It holds heat pretty well and is definitely waterproof. Says it's rated for six people. I've got three and a dog with plenty of room for a few bags or a small propane heater. Once out of original packaging it stores in the same bag pretty easily although it bulges a bit. I'd say maybe 30"x 12"x 15" weighs about fifteen pounds stakes rods fly and extra tarp in the bag that I added.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

Cottonwoody

US West Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Also considering the MSR Storm King for its 5 person 4 season abilities. Really debating if I need the wood stove or stand up height features.

Sent from my XT1254 using OB Talk mobile app

Caretaker

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Jonesboro, Arkansas
Member #

For when its just me and the girlfriend and I'm not using my hammock, I use my North Face Tadpole 23 tent. Its just about the right size for two people and has a fast setup/teardown. When my brothers, dogs and I all go on a fishing/camping trip we take a big cheap 6 person from walmart... Cant beat a cheap coleman.

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

I'm not gonna lie.. I use a cheap Coleman fast pitch 6 man tent when I'm ground camping or camping from the wife's car
Cost me about $120 and sets up in 6 to 8 minutes. 99 percent of the time, however, I am in my truck with my try which is 100000 times more comfortable.
I have a couple of the 6 man Coleman Instant Tents. They are inexpensive and literally go up in under a minute. Add another 5 to stake it down, if you want to. Bought my first one for $100 and 2nd on Craigslist in perfect condition for $40. Not the best for 4 season camping, but for fair weather, they work pretty well. They'll survive windy and rainy conditions if staked down properly (tent and rainfly).

ClearwaterScott

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia, Missouri
Member #

My experience with the Coleman and other quick pop tents is that you need to protect the center of the floor. Otherwise you'll find a hole in the floor from the quick stand mechanisms rubbing against.

Or just get some nice duck tape and create a strong spot.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

I think most of the ground tents that I've seen that I think I would actually spend money on are made in Australia. And generally not made or sold in the US which is a real shame.

I currently use a 6 person Ozark trail tent from Walmart that I applied Star Brite waterproofing to. It fits 2 queen size air mattresses and 2 of my plano sportsman 1719 totes.

Sent from my SM-N900V using OB Talk mobile app

SC4runner

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

St. Matthews, SC
Member #

I have the Eureka! Silver Canyon 6. I caught it on sale at Dicks for around 200. It's been rained on, snowed on, and survived several nasty thunderstorms (with hefty wind gusts) and keeps on trucking. The floor material seems a little thin, but I just spread out a tarp underneath to add a little extra protection. It's tall enough that I can stand up to get dressed and has enough floor space for a queen size cot and all of our gear.

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

OP, since you've got military/government affiliation, you should sign up with Experticity (formerly ProMotive). I purchased my OzTent and sleep system though them and I'm glad I did. Nemo, Kelty, Big Agnes and a lot of other brands are on there as well if you're looking for outdoors stuff.

Cavo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Great Falls, VA, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Richard
Member #

Marmot Tungsten 3P Tent This has been far and above my expectations. Great 3 person tent, with enough space for my 2 dogs in the corners too. We place our double bed blowup bed inside and all is comfy. Definitely a 3 season tent however, with its greatest part coming in the Summer when no rain is expected, just leave rain fly off and the entire top is just mesh. We love looking at the stars on clear nights. Only weighs about 6 lbs total and we set it up in about 3-4 minutes.

A roof top tent would be my last expense, if at all. The convenience, weight and space needed with this Marmot make it easy to wait a long time for the rooftop.

Cheers