• ABS Plastic sheet
  • (1) RAM Ball Adapter with AMPS Plate
  • (1) RAM Composite Double Socket Arm
  • (1) RAM Track Ball with T-Bolt Attachment
  • Wire loom tubing ¾”
  • Zip ties
  • 6x8mm machine screws
ic-2730.jpg

I took the power cable supplied by ICOM and routed it through the firewall in the same grommet the main wire loom runs. I cut off the in-line fuses on the power cable and crimped on ring terminals. The ring terminals were installed on the Blue Seas fuse block I already had in place.

fuse block.jpg

The power cable and antenna wires were run under the plastic trim near the drivers left side on the floor, then run under the channel that the seat sits on.

antenna power cable near door.jpg

power under seat.jpg

The power and antenna cables exit the channel and connect to the main radio unit under the driver's seat.

radio body.jpg

I removed the dash bezel and installed the Expedition Essentials TTM (sorry didn't take any pictures of the setup). There are tons of walk-thrus on this in other forums.

I also removed the plastic trim on the center console that surrounds the shifter. Again I completely forgot to get pictures of this. While all the plastic was removed I routed the cable for the head unit up from under the driver's seat, into the center console, past the shifter, up behind the main radio unit. I then re-installed the dash bezel and made sure there was a good 4 inches of power cable poking through.

The radio's head unit was mounted to a DIY mounting plate that I created out of ABS plastic. The mounting plate was bolted to a couple Ram Mounts pieces and installed in the TTM. I re-installed the center console trim then fired up the radio. Turned on with no problems.

radio head.jpg

radio head side.jpg

radio head side 2.jpg

radio front.jpg

Going to be moving the hand mic in the future. Just going to enjoy it as it is for now though.

I've also got a more thorough write up on our blog Tacoma Ham Radio Install | Emergency Comms - Oak Abode

Let me know if you have any questions!

DaPyrate

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Hamilton, Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8PBK
Service Branch
U.S. Army Veteran
Nice install. I have been looking at ideas to install my Ftm-400 and I like what you did with the mounting the mic next to the head. I may do something similar.

Ian_Hgn

Rank 0

Contributor I

Milwaukee, WI, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Hagen
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9NBT
Nice install. I have been looking at ideas to install my Ftm-400 and I like what you did with the mounting the mic next to the head. I may do something similar.
Thanks! I did actually just move the mic down below finally. It was just bulky and got in the way up by the head of the radio. I didn't like it. I put in the short taco button keystone holder and moved my mic down below. still don't really like the current place of the mic. Still a work in progress.

Reactions: DaPyrate

DaPyrate

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Hamilton, Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8PBK
Service Branch
U.S. Army Veteran
Thanks! I did actually just move the mic down below finally. It was just bulky and got in the way up by the head of the radio. I didn't like it. I put in the short taco button keystone holder and moved my mic down below. still don't really like the current place of the mic. Still a work in progress.
Just out of curiosity did you ground the negative to the battery or the chassis? Also do you have any extra noise when TX using the fuse block? I am trying to decide how to wire mine. I thought about going with Anderson power poles and grounding to chassis but undecided.

Ian_Hgn

Rank 0

Contributor I

Milwaukee, WI, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Hagen
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9NBT
Just out of curiosity did you ground the negative to the battery or the chassis? Also do you have any extra noise when TX using the fuse block? I am trying to decide how to wire mine. I thought about going with Anderson power poles and grounding to chassis but undecided.
My Blue Seas block is grounded to the chasis and the radio is grounded to the block. I don't have any amount of interference whatsoever. I need to do a little more testing with tx but I have not had any issues so far. It's been set up like this for just about a year now.

Reactions: DaPyrate

DaPyrate

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Hamilton, Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8PBK
Service Branch
U.S. Army Veteran
My Blue Seas block is grounded to the chasis and the radio is grounded to the block. I don't have any amount of interference whatsoever. I need to do a little more testing with tx but I have not had any issues so far. It's been set up like this for just about a year now.
Thanks. One more question what size breaker is that and do you currently have anything else hooked up to the fuse block?