Icom 2730a and Mobilinkd are OTW, who is ready for APRS?

• HTML tutorial

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
So I pulled the trigger on the Icom 2730a and Mobilinkd. Wanted a mobile for the GX for a long while and finally did it. I hope those Japanese radios live up to their hype. I really wanted to run some APRS stuff and the 2730a has no native way to do that so I figured the Mobilinkd would be worth a shot to try out.

Anyone running APRS?
Anyone using it for stuff in addition to position, like for texts/emails/status?

What about the mobilinkd tnc?

Anyone using the 2730a? How do you like it?

Last edited:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
APRS, absolutely.
MobilinkD - yep, impressive little device (@M Rose). I understand that the Android APRS software is great but I use an ipad and the only supported software I have tried is APRS.FI's and it is fairly limited.
Anyone using it for stuff in addition to position, like for texts/emails/status? - Yep. I think there is great unrealized potential for convoy management with APRS. Let me know if you want to chew the rag on this.

Do not count on APRS as a "safety net" as you will lose coverage outside of most cities and certainly in the wild places.

I use Kenwood radios because they have APRS built in (certain models anyway) and allow full access to the TNC for external apps such as WinLink. You can do WinLink (email) with the MobilinkD I believe. I bought my MobilinkD to further a work project and it has been on loan pretty much since I received it - longer than the pandemic anyway. I prefer mobiles to HTs but do carry a Kenwood TH-D74A for giggles. Awesome unit!

My Kenwood TM-D700 install. Gray box in front of the radio is a Ras Pi that supplies the radio with GPS data (NMEA 0183) and does other fun things.
A7A24C23-9882-4D45-882A-4CEBE9D60CD2_1_105_c.jpegF7F37B6E-7E2E-4DDE-AEBC-70D18E1D2488_1_105_c.jpeg

I also run an APRS iGate/digi and welcome questions should you get interested in that.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So I pulled the trigger on the Icom 2730a and Mobilinkd. Wanted a mobile for the GX for a long while and finally did it. I hope those Japanese radios live up to their hype. I really wanted to run some APRS stuff and the Icom has no native way to do that so I figured the Mobilinkd would be worth a shot to try out.

Anyone running APRS?
Anyone using it for stuff in addition to position, like for texts/emails/status?

Icom non native APRS, I think not... the IC7100 does APRS just need a $10.00 gps antenna...

As far as Icom radios in general:.. I love em... again I’m running a IC-7100.

What else do I do besides APRS... how out Winlink, JS8Cal, WISPER, FT-4, FT8, getting into D-Star

Mobilinked TNC3 is connected to either a Baofeng GT3 or my Kenwood TK-790 for strictly packet email and FL-Digi.

Reactions: Ubiety

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
As @Greg Eigsti said I use the TNC3 because of the IOS support... but even with out the IOS support, it’s the only one of the three Mobilinked TNCs that offers 9600 baud rates. And it’s the only one that connects via Bluetooth to newer laptops... I had to buy a new Bluetooth dongle for my Desktop PC and a new laptop (for field work) to be able to use my TNC3.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
One last thing, the Icom ID-5100A Deluxe is also a APRS capable radio. And I saw about 13 other APRS capable Icom radios.

the radio bellow allows APRS data to be transferred to a tablet or laptop via an optional Bluetooth Module.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
One thing about using the Mobilinked TNC3 with the Icom 2730, you will loose the ability to use voice without disconnecting the TNC from the radio.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
One thing about using the Mobilinked TNC3 with the Icom 2730, you will loose the ability to use voice without disconnecting the TNC from the radio.
Thank you Mike, I forgot this. The MobilinkD requires that the APRS (or whatever digital band it is using) have PTT assigned to it. This means you could listen on the other band (on a dual bander) but not speak on it unless you want to play games switching PTT around.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thank you Mike, I forgot this. The MobilinkD requires that the APRS (or whatever digital band it is using) have PTT assigned to it. This means you could listen on the other band (on a dual bander) but not speak on it unless you want to play games switching PTT around.
Exactly... that’s why I’m using the TK-790H as my primary APRS radio... no APRS capable radio exceeds 50 watts... the TK-790h is a 110w radio that I’ve bumped up to 150 watts, with 45 watts low, 75 Watts medium, and 150 watts Full power.

• Love

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
One last thing, the Icom ID-5100A Deluxe is also a APRS capable radio
That will most likely be my next mobile radio. It is what I really wanted but could not justify the extra $150 for it as I have not been using my HAM enough as is. But if I start finding more time to use my radio it will be easier for me to justify buying another radio.

Reactions: M Rose and Ubiety

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
APRS, absolutely.
Very nice Kenwood!

Running "convoy management with APRS" is exactly what I was thinking. Also, a great way to relay info that we might want to refer back to without having to write it down.

On the Ras Pi, what version are you running? What all are you using it for?
I was looking at the Ras Pi party for using CHRIP on the road and possibly as a TNC if I could hack in some CTCSS detection for Voice Alert, which I will not be able to do when the Mobilinkd.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I run APRS via a Mobilinkd and android tablet.
I didn't want an either or situation between aprs and voice so I went with a separate stand alone 2m mobile for aprs.
The Kenwood TM-V71a can do both at the same time even though aprs is not built in, something to keep in mind if you decide to change radios.
When looking at a radio be aware that DPRS/D-PRS is not quite the same as APRS as it relies on the D-star network.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Very nice Kenwood!

Running "convoy management with APRS" is exactly what I was thinking. Also, a great way to relay info that we might want to refer back to without having to write it down.

I was looking at the Ras Pi party for using CHRIP on the road and possibly as a TNC if I could hack in some CTCSS detection for Voice Alert, which I will not be able to do when the Mobilinkd.
I would love to see navigation software that utilizes APRS to place members of the convoy on each other's screens, allows messaging and supports placing objects on each other's screens - all of this is built into the APRS protocol already. Maybe APRSDroid does all of this but I don't have an Android device to look at it with (APRSDroid is supposed to be pretty awesome). I think placing objects would be pretty cool - such as "next stop" or "meetup after gassing up" or "camp" - as this would give a dynamic experience that could be updated at the whim of the group and everybody would have it right there on their map. And some filtering to remove cruft and keep your group's data, and not other's data, first and foremost. It would support different map types and downloaded map tiles for those times when you have no network (cell/wifi).

It is a Ras Pi 3 with USB GPS puck and Iridium modem connected. It runs GPSD and shoves NMEA 0183 from the GPS out to the radio since the older TM-D700s do not have an inbuilt GPS. It also runs some custom SW to chat with the Iridium modem to enable a "satcom SMS like experience". If you are looking at purchasing a new Ras Pi definitely look at V 4 as they are much more capable (faster, potentially more RAM, etc.) and give a near "desktop like" experience.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@Greg Eigsti APRSdroid does most all of that except the static objects, though I wish it did.
It uses Google maps but I am not aware of any topo or satellite maps.
It does plot you and all other packets received on a map and you can very easily send a message to one of those people. It also shows your track on the map.

Attachments

Reactions: CatButt and Ubiety

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
So I pulled the trigger on the Icom 2730a and Mobilinkd. Wanted a mobile for the GX for a long while and finally did it. I hope those Japanese radios live up to their hype. I really wanted to run some APRS stuff and the 2730a has no native way to do that so I figured the Mobilinkd would be worth a shot to try out.

Anyone running APRS?

I have three of the 2730 radios, one in each Jeep and one set up as a base radio in the house, also have the ID5100 in the Ram. The 5100 has some cool features including gps, touch screen and D-star, but overall I prefer the 2730. the audio is super clear, controls are very intuitive, and has proven to have exceptional range in the mountains. Neither radio is well suited for APRS as they will only transmit on one band at a time. I have purchased a mobilnkd device to use with my old Yeasu FT470 HT but have yet to get it set up and working. Not super concerned about long distance APRS, but want to be able to use if for lead and tail positions on a trail run, Hope to set up a second unit with a cheap Boefang HT that could be handed out to someone on a run.

I do not have much need for aprs in most of my vehicles, but once I have had a chance to play with it, I will likely either change the 2730 in my Wj to a Kenwood D710 or similar or add a dedicated 2 meter radio just for aprs. More research and a better understanding of different radio capabilities will be required. A cheap 2 meter rig would be easy, but would be yet another radio, and a 5th porqupine quill on the roof...

Reactions: Ubiety and KM4DWS

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have three of the 2730 radios, one in each Jeep and one set up as a base radio in the house, also have the ID5100 in the Ram. The 5100 has some cool features including gps, touch screen and D-star, but overall I prefer the 2730. the audio is super clear, controls are very intuitive, and has proven to have exceptional range in the mountains. Neither radio is well suited for APRS as they will only transmit on one band at a time. I have purchased a mobilnkd device to use with my old Yeasu FT470 HT but have yet to get it set up and working. Not super concerned about long distance APRS, but want to be able to use if for lead and tail positions on a trail run, Hope to set up a second unit with a cheap Boefang HT that could be handed out to someone on a run.

I do not have much need for aprs in most of my vehicles, but once I have had a chance to play with it, I will likely either change the 2730 in my Wj to a Kenwood D710 or similar or add a dedicated 2 meter radio just for aprs. More research and a better understanding of different radio capabilities will be required. A cheap 2 meter rig would be easy, but would be yet another radio, and a 5th porqupine quill on the roof...
Cheap 2m radio is the Kenwood TK790H... if you watch eBay for one that won’t turn on... most people don’t know how to turn them on, they have an internal relay that needs triggered from an ignition source, or bypass the ignition source back to the main battery connection. I picked up my Kenwood for $35.00 on eBay... the only problem with the KT-X90 radios is that they don’t have a VFO so you have to use a laptop to program the radio. And most come without a microphone or speaker... hence it works great for APRS, but not so good for a voice communication radio.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Very nice Kenwood!

How do you use a Rasp Pi as a TNC? Are you meaning running DireWolf Sound Modem? If so, they are very finicky and email gaitways (Winlink gates), don’t play well with sound modems... they work, but not as good as the Mobilinked.

Reactions: KM4DWS and Ubiety

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
How do you use a Rasp Pi as a TNC? Are you meaning running DireWolf Sound Modem? If so, they are very finicky and email gaitways (Winlink gates), don’t play well with sound modems... they work, but not as good as the Mobilinked.
Thank you that is good to know.

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS

I do not have much need for aprs in most of my vehicles, but once I have had a chance to play with it, I will likely either change the 2730 in my Wj to a Kenwood D710 or similar or add a dedicated 2 meter radio just for aprs. More research and a better understanding of different radio capabilities will be required. A cheap 2-meter rig would be easy, but would be yet another radio, and a 5th porqupine quill on the roof...
3 of 2730 sounds like putting your money where your mouth is! That makes me think I made a decent choice for my first Mobile rig. Currently, I am using a Baofeng HT as my only radio.

So during my research the ID5100 seemed that the default was D-PRS but it seems that it has other options. What I could not find was if one could use it as APRS.

My biggest thing is using APRSdriod on a tablet. The same tablet with GiaGPS on it, which means I can use APRSdriod to view objects on GiaGPS downloaded map.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
@Greg Eigsti APRSdroid does most all of that except the static objects, though I wish it did.
It uses Google maps but I am not aware of any topo or satellite maps.
It does plot you and all other packets received on a map and you can very easily send a message to one of those people. It also shows your track on the map.
I have heard that APRSDroid is awesome! One thing I have considered in the past is running Xastir on the pi and allow it to control the radio (puts it in raw TNC mode) and then VNC into the pi with the iPad.

I am glad others are interested in the same kinds of geeky things that fill my head ;)

Reactions: Drclaypool