I want to see the Rams

• HTML tutorial

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I’ve been looking at their rear leafs but I need to talk to them first and figure out what it will do to my towing capacity. I can’t wait to see what the sway bar does. It may make up my mind for me on the coils and leafs. One of these days I will need to get a new tow rig.
I guess I shouldn't feel that strange about it. It Carli is doing the install in their R&D bay so I know it will be done right. I had their full leaf springs on my 2007 I just sold. They made a huge difference in the ride. I did lose some weight capacity but I don't tow much so it was never a big deal. It towed my Jeeps on a trailer fine. You can always add airbags and cradles if needed.

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
I have Don Thurens full leafs and shackles on my '06 Megapig and they are super plush, but to tow my trailer I had to install Carli's air bag setup. The air bags limit travel about 1-1/2" which sucks balls considering a big reason to go with these high performance suspensions is the travel they afford. And they bleed air over time which makes maintenance a pain unless you have a built in auto air setup. In short, I'd avoid the air bag setup if you can.

Reactions: Neuvik

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I guess I shouldn't feel that strange about it. It Carli is doing the install in their R&D bay so I know it will be done right. I had their full leaf springs on my 2007 I just sold. They made a huge difference in the ride. I did lose some weight capacity but I don't tow much so it was never a big deal. It towed my Jeeps on a trailer fine. You can always add airbags and cradles if needed.
I may have to start piecing together the kit I want. I had the ok from the wife to buy it all not too long ago. Problem is my cheap ass has a hard time spending that much when what I have hasn’t let me down yet. But if it rides that much better, it is hard not to consider.

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I have Don Thurens full leafs and shackles on my '06 Megapig they are super plush and to tow my trailer I had to install Carli's air bag setup. The air bags limit travel about 1-1/2" which sucks balls considering a big reason to go with these high performance suspensions is the travel they afford. And they bleed air over time which makes maintenance a pain unless you have a built in auto air setup. In short, I'd avoid the air bag setup if you can.
That’s part of my problem. I really don’t want air bags. And I have on board air already. I’ve thought about the mini pack from carli that just replaces the great big thick spring that doesn’t flex.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

That’s part of my problem. I really don’t want air bags. And I have on board air already. I’ve thought about the mini pack from carli that just replaces the great big thick spring that doesn’t flex.
Look into the Daystar Air Bag Cradles. They claim to not limit travel. I haven't used the product but I know others that have. I pulled my bags when I decided to go full suspension.

Fulls have a much better ride than the mini-packs. I had the mini-packs on for a year or so before I upgraded to fulls. In fact, my old springs with the mini-packs installed are still on the side of the house waiting for my friend to pick them up. And a brand new set of Carli 3" coil springs too.

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Look into the Daystar Air Bag Cradles. They claim to not limit travel. I haven't used the product but I know others that have. I pulled my bags when I decided to go full suspension.

Fulls have a much better ride than the mini-packs. I had the mini-packs on for a year or so before I upgraded to fulls. In fact, my old springs with the mini-packs installed are still on the side of the house waiting for my friend to pick them up. And a brand new set of Carli 3" coil springs too.
I need a friend like you to save me some parts. What about the hd full progressive leafs? Know anybody running those? I am curious what they do to payload. I don’t run around with 1500 lbs extra in my bed but I bet my shell weighs close to 400. Then by the time I gear it up for a camping trip I’m probably close to that. I am wondering what that set up would do for pulling a trailer and daily driving with no weight in the back.

Reactions: Brewbud

AnthonyD1978

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott, AZ, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
D
Looks great! The Front Runner water tank is super cool, but damn is it expensive!
Yes, but when I priced 2 quality jerry cans and mounts the price difference was minimal. Then you add in the fact that the Front Runner setup holds more water than 2 jerry cans and has a hose attachment.

At least that's how I justified it in my head :tonguewink:

I just ordered their 6ft awning. It's actually pretty cheap, but I also ordered their swing out arm for it.....that's not cheap :cry:

JDCarguy

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Sheridan wyoming
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Cattaneo
Member #

Hey guys! Awesome thread and great rigs! Getting some great ideas for my build here!
Well here we go. She is getting a little old but I have only had her a year. 2004 ram 2500 cummins. She has the 6 speed manual and limited slip difs front and rear.

I got her with the Bradford Built flatbed all rusty and glorious. Painted that (bed liner) and mounted two yard sale special tool boxes to her. Have all of my tools and gear, room for camping goodies, and am working on my third battery setup with solar and on board air.

I just got done leveling the front with simple 3 inch spacers, but I also added on Carli signature series shocks with Thuren upper and lower control arms and drag link. Ordering Thurens rear shackles to lift the back up to match, and Carli shocks for it as well. Rocking 37" Toyos (also second hand. Sue me tires are expensive!)

In the process of custom building a front mount for a used DV8 bumper of a 2018 ram 1500 with winch mount, and a whole lot of lights.

I also swapped out the front seats for some leather captains chairs from a ford van, and have an 80 gallon fuel tank in the bed that feeds via a second pump and filter right into the main tank. On a bad day I have roughly 1200 miles of range. Give or take 50. Hope you like it!!!

Attachments

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Hey guys! Awesome thread and great rigs! Getting some great ideas for my build here!
Well here we go. She is getting a little old but I have only had her a year. 2004 ram 2500 cummins. She has the 6 speed manual and limited slip difs front and rear.

I got her with the Bradford Built flatbed all rusty and glorious. Painted that (bed liner) and mounted two yard sale special tool boxes to her. Have all of my tools and gear, room for camping goodies, and am working on my third battery setup with solar and on board air.

I just got done leveling the front with simple 3 inch spacers, but I also added on Carli signature series shocks with Thuren upper and lower control arms and drag link. Ordering Thurens rear shackles to lift the back up to match, and Carli shocks for it as well. Rocking 37" Toyos (also second hand. Sue me tires are expensive!)

In the process of custom building a front mount for a used DV8 bumper of a 2018 ram 1500 with winch mount, and a whole lot of lights.

I also swapped out the front seats for some leather captains chairs from a ford van, and have an 80 gallon fuel tank in the bed that feeds via a second pump and filter right into the main tank. On a bad day I have roughly 1200 miles of range. Give or take 50. Hope you like it!!!
Nice! I just had my Long-Range 60-Gallon Fuel Tank installed on my 3500 Cummins, and I love it! Clearly not as much fuel as you, but way better than the OEM 35-Gallons. Looks great!

Reactions: JDCarguy

JDCarguy

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Sheridan wyoming
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Cattaneo
Member #

Nice! I just had my Long-Range 60-Gallon Fuel Tank installed on my 3500 Cummins, and I love it! Clearly not as much fuel as you, but way better than the OEM 35-Gallons. Looks great!
Thanks man! Ya having the extra range makes all the difference even just for regular road trips. Can plan it out to get the best price fuel and such. Game changer.

Reactions: DaleRF

AnthonyD1978

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott, AZ, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
D

So good! I wish I could fit a bigger tank on my Power Wagon. That's the PWs greatest flaw (besides no diesel option).

Reactions: JDCarguy