I feel like an apple freak. It's bronco release day. Ha ha.

• HTML tutorial

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

My only disappointment is that the 2.7L can't have the 7-speed manual. I'm hoping they do the same as they did with the Ranger and offer a performance package for the 2.3L and that the 7-speed will be rated to handle it.

I'm also hoping that this is the kick in the pants Toyota needs to bring back an FJ or a 2-door 4Runner in the next generation with at least an 8 speed transmission and room for 35's. Probably dreaming but it looks like my next purchase will be the 2dr Bronco in 3-4 years if they don't step up.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I posted this elsewhere. In addition to this let me say that I prefer to drive a vehicle, especially off pavement, not the vehicle driving me. FE8F5C48-B681-4739-9CBE-DEC7263B4844.jpeg

Reactions: Louiston

sgthusk

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

1773 Steward Harbough Road, Williamsburg, Ohio 45176, United States
First Name
James
Last Name
Huskey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W8JWH
Well I was impressed. I really didn’t think they’d have got so close to the mark. My wife said she thinks they’ve been listening in every time I’m telling her what I think they should have done with the Explorer and Escape or what they have to do with the Bronco to really hit the bullseye.
Now to let them settle in for a couple years and see them in person. I’d really like to get a better idea of the sizes. The Sport is supposed to be based on the Escape. I’m thinking a Sport type that’s Explorer size would do great for overlanding.
Also the Bronco Offrodeo mentioned on the website sounds intriguing. Specially if they offer training. A how to/ what it’s capable of class to get people comfortable driving in any condition.

Reactions: Kent R

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

I'm not usually excited about anything new and not in the market to buy, but this one has me curious on how close to the mark they get.
Let' hope it is not a lot of gadgets, gizmos, cupholders, badges and looks over a ho-hum chassis.

WOW! Nice job Ford. Ok with the IFS if it proves strong enough, and wary of all the electronics. But that is my hang up I suppose as I like the old fashioned analog world. If it doesn't break or get electrons confused, this is a great platform. Very impressed at the different factory options/packages. What flavor do you want? They likely have a package for you. This will be a serious contender to Jeep if there is enough economy left to keep it profitable for Ford and in production.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Wow, I’m impressed... and for Ford, let alone any auto manufacturer to impress me is saying a lot... the only thing I’m not impressed with is the engine options, and can’t get the 7 speed with the V-6... and the transfer case is an option... what the heck Ford... why would I want a 2 WD Bronco for.

But seriously I can’t wait for these to hit the lot, I’m going for a test drive oncea week. I’m going to put a lot of miles on the Mustard Yellow 2 Door... just so I can buy it at a used price :)

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Wow, I’m impressed... and for Ford, let alone any auto manufacturer to impress me is saying a lot... the only thing I’m not impressed with is the engine options, and can’t get the 7 speed with the V-6... and the transfer case is an option... what the heck Ford... why would I want a 2 WD Bronco for.

But seriously I can’t wait for these to hit the lot, I’m going for a test drive oncea week. I’m going to put a lot of miles on the Mustard Yellow 2 Door... just so I can buy it at a used price :)
4x4 is standard on all models.

Reactions: Downs and BigRedDog

TIER 7

Rank 0

Contributor I

USA
First Name
J
Last Name
T
I may be the be the only one to say it, but I was not impressed with the Bronco line up. At least the styling anyway.

Maybe it was being spoiled by some pretty cool fan inspired designs years before this release, but the styling was a big let down.

Until I bought my JKUR, was always a Ford guy. Still am, love my Explorer. But the new Broncos - ugh, no thanks.

I am very, very happy Ford put them out there and based on everyone’s responses so far, it looks like they’ll be a hit. The bigger success they are, the cheaper used Jeeps will become which suits me just fine!

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

Well done Ford. Well done.

First thought was Jeep will still own the segment until Ford begins deliveries next year. But after looking at the trim levels/options/thoroughness of Ford's focus, internet chatter, not so sure. How many Wrangler folks will postpone buying until they can kick a Bronco's tires? I know of one for certain.

Don't know who FoMoCo included in their focus group to develop the Bronco family, but sure shines a lazer beam on FCA's milking of the segment.

IMAO - a hemi and factory winch option isn't going to cut it in this throw down.

It'll be fun to watch.

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

Not from what I read... and have been reading for about 4 years now
Straight from the Ford website:
"each of the four available models comes standard with 4x4"

Edit: This is for the Bronco Sport. The Bronco also comes standard with "4x4" although I'm wondering if the base model is just all-wheel drive.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
so many ways to be sarcastic..... :grinning::expressionless::expressionless:

but seriously, it was just released yesterday
If you owned a Bronco, you would know that the talk has been out for about 10 years now... Ford announced in 2016 that they were going to have the New Bronco Released in 2018, then 2020, and now pushed back to early 2021. Ford had been talking with Early Bronco Owners as well as FSB owners for what it would take to get us to buy a new Bronco... while I won’t be retiring my FSB, the New Bronco is the only new rig released since 1993 that I HAVE to see. I was skeptical before the release, with all the hype Ford put into the rig, I didn’t think it could compete even with the B2. But I’m impressed... other than the 2.3 and v-6 only options and to get my manual transmission and t-case it has to be the 2.3l. I wonder if I can order it without a engine and transmission so I can stuff a Coyote motor and ZF6 between the frame rails... Real Broncos have V-8s

Reactions: Givemethewillys

Red Ox Overland

Rank IV

Pathfinder III

Olympic mtns, WA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Modispacher
Member #

My only real issue is that it is an IFS, which is a big one for me. However I think they did an absolute awesome job on design. This is probably the only new 4x4 I’d consider buying new.

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Well done Ford. Well done.

First thought was Jeep will still own the segment until Ford begins deliveries next year. But after looking at the trim levels/options/thoroughness of Ford's focus, internet chatter, not so sure. How many Wrangler folks will postpone buying until they can kick a Bronco's tires? I know of one for certain.

Don't know who FoMoCo included in their focus group to develop the Bronco family, but sure shines a lazer beam on FCA's milking of the segment.

IMAO - a hemi and factory winch option isn't going to cut it in this throw down.

It'll be fun to watch.
Yes, in spite of what I said about all this earlier, it will be fun to watch. This is the first direct competition to the wrangler platform in decades.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

If you owned a Bronco, you would know that the talk has been out for about 10 years now... Ford announced in 2016 that they were going to have the New Bronco Released in 2018, then 2020, and now pushed back to early 2021. Ford had been talking with Early Bronco Owners as well as FSB owners for what it would take to get us to buy a new Bronco... while I won’t be retiring my FSB, the New Bronco is the only new rig released since 1993 that I HAVE to see. I was skeptical before the release, with all the hype Ford put into the rig, I didn’t think it could compete even with the B2. But I’m impressed... other than the 2.3 and v-6 only options and to get my manual transmission and t-case it has to be the 2.3l. I wonder if I can order it without a engine and transmission so I can stuff a Coyote motor and ZF6 between the frame rails... Real Broncos have V-8s
Im sure you could order a roller but you would have to wait awhile but it would most likely be stripped down. You could always buy it with the small engine and trans pull it out and sell it

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Im sure you could order a roller but you would have to wait awhile but it would most likely be stripped down. You could always buy it with the small engine and trans pull it out and sell it
That is something the wife and I have been discussing

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

I think they hit the nail on the head.
Not only is it a direct competitor to the Wrangler but it takes the (US based) fight right to the 4Runner's front door.
It does everything a Wrangler does, except for a solid front axle which is NOT a big deal for bulk, average consumers.
It does everything a 4Runner does, except rival the towing capacity or option a 3rd row which ARE big deals for bulk, average consumers.

Only time will tell on reliability.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
The 4 door would make for a great Overlanding platform as is, but part of me hopes for an enhanced payload option too (which I’ve seen no evidence of, but only recently learned about as an option on the F150).

1300 lbs is the number I’ve seen for Payload, which is close to the jeep, but if you option the Rubicon with the skid plates, lockers, etc. That payload drops to only 850 lbs ands I suspect the 1300 lbs figure from Ford will also drop depending on the package. But, if they offered an enhanced payload option, it would do pretty much everything the Jeep does, but it will also address the Jeeps’ Achilles heel. If that enhanced payload option gets the Bronco to threaten a ton of payload (i.e. 1800 lbs +), it makes it a rival also for the Defender and potentially the Ineos Grenadier, too (if that comes to production, which I hope it does).

The offerings of 4x4s in North America give Overlanders an incredible array of rigs to choose from. What a great time to be in the hobby!

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

That is something the wife and I have been discussing
Thats a good discussion a better one would be buying a cheap jeep or maybe a toyota and put that drivetrain in it