alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
Do you guys know how busy it gets up there during the 4th? I want to go up on the 3rd but don’t want it to be jam packed.

Just looking for some secluded overland camping areas

CascadeTraveler

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Lynnwood, WA, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Ulman
Member #

Do you guys know how busy it gets up there during the 4th? I want to go up on the 3rd but don’t want it to be jam packed.

Just looking for some secluded overland camping areas
That whole Cle-elum area gets pretty crowded all year, if you have a rig that will fit on the trails you can camp up the trails and have a good chance of being alone.

Drannan Tidwell

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sherwood, OR, USA
First Name
Drannan
Last Name
Tidwell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LKL
It's not usually open this early so it may not be on too many people's radar...but on weekends it gets pretty busy. So you'd probably not see too many 3rd and 4th, my guess it'll fill up from the 5th on

MattF

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cedar Hill, TN - Enumclaw, WA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Fyke
Member #

I did it from salmon la sac (turned off at 47.479861 -121.044444) and went almost up to the lake a few weeks ago, but had to turn back due to time constraints. My stock 4Runner did great, you just need to take your time and watch your lines carefully in a few spots.

NickS

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakewood, WA
Member #

I did it from salmon la sac (turned off at 47.479861 -121.044444) and went almost up to the lake a few weeks ago, but had to turn back due to time constraints. My stock 4Runner did great, you just need to take your time and watch your lines carefully in a few spots.

Can you give an estimate of how long it takes (conservatively) to get up there from Salmon La Sac? I’d like to go before the end of the summer and would like to plan accordingly.

Thanks!

CascadeTraveler

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Lynnwood, WA, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Ulman
Member #

Can you give an estimate of how long it takes (conservatively) to get up there from Salmon La Sac? I’d like to go before the end of the summer and would like to plan accordingly.

Thanks!
you are looking at 15-30 to the trailhead from the pavement ending and Hour+ each way on the trail if you haul I would budget 1.5-2 hours each direction on the trail if you want to take it slower.

Reactions: MattF and NickS

Drannan Tidwell

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sherwood, OR, USA
First Name
Drannan
Last Name
Tidwell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LKL
There are two ways to get to about the middle of the trail aka the 301, the easier way is pretty much a dirt road and shaved a 30 off last time I was up there. If you're looking to extend your technical wheeling to its fullest follow the 301 from the start. I'll have to get back to you on the number for the trail, but it's the one my GPS defaulted to.

Reactions: NickS

Drannan Tidwell

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sherwood, OR, USA
First Name
Drannan
Last Name
Tidwell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LKL
The second trail is the 160 or fortune Creek trail, 47.479861 -121.044444 is the turn off to the 301, the 160 is the next road branching off past that but I don't have those coordinates

Reactions: NickS

NickS

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakewood, WA
Member #

The second trail is the 160 or fortune Creek trail, 47.479861 -121.044444 is the turn off to the 301, the 160 is the next road branching off past that but I don't have those coordinates
Thank you for the info. I look forward to hopefully making it out there sometime before October.

Drannan Tidwell

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sherwood, OR, USA
First Name
Drannan
Last Name
Tidwell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LKL
Short wheel base will help, however I made it up in my Nissan... battleship...I mean crew cab long bed Frontier

Reactions: MattF