Sherwood, OR, USA
First Name
Drannan
Last Name
Tidwell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LKL
I'm looking at planning a trip up to Gallagher head Lake for some camping first part of August. Was wondering if anybody could give me information on trail conditions and how difficult it is?

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I'm looking at planning a trip up to Gallagher head Lake for some camping first part of August. Was wondering if anybody could give me information on trail conditions and how difficult it is?
I haven't been up there since last year. It seems that the trail has gotten a little worse year over year, so I would imagine that how difficult depends on your experience and your rig.

So, I'll ask that question, what is your experience and what are you running?

Drannan Tidwell

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sherwood, OR, USA
First Name
Drannan
Last Name
Tidwell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LKL
My rig is a Nissan Frontier with a mild lift running 33s

I've done a fair amount of wheeling in my time just not recently. I guess the biggest question is will my wife's heartburn be an ulcer by the time we make it?

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I expect you'll be ok as long as you keep an eye on things. My Commander is on 33 (ish) tires, and it has a longer wheel base, it's wider, and it pulled a trailer up last year.

The only thing that might be an issue, is that I've heard there is still a fair amount of snow on the trail. (there was a post about it in the OBNW facebook group)

So, that might slow you down.

Otherwise, just take it slow on some of the rockier sections and you should be fine.

Drannan Tidwell

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sherwood, OR, USA
First Name
Drannan
Last Name
Tidwell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LKL
Thank you, I'm looking at the first weekend in August but wanted to get info in case I needed to do mods.

Reactions: RainGoat

Drannan Tidwell

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sherwood, OR, USA
First Name
Drannan
Last Name
Tidwell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LKL
Ah man there go the smores...kidding. I usually run propane for my little grill and stove for cooking and star gazing / early meteor shower is part if the draw. So a fire won't be missed too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: megacabcummins

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ah man there go the smores...kidding. I usually run propane for my little grill and stove for cooking and star gazing / early meteor shower is part if the draw. So a fire won't be missed too much.
Last August we dispersed camped next to some guys who had that $100 Costco fire pit they used for s’mores, etc. Totally okay with the burn ban. Thinking about it myself.

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

Me and a few mates headed up there this past weekend. Was still snowed in on the trails so didn't make it to the lake yet. Will be looking forward later in the summer when I can make it through and camp up top. Otherwise an awesome trail :)

@DK_XV | PNW | '17 Colorado Diesel

Drannan Tidwell

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sherwood, OR, USA
First Name
Drannan
Last Name
Tidwell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LKL
I'm looking at the first weekend in August so hopefully the snow is gone by then. Thanks for the pics looks like a lot of fun.

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Has anyone been up Gallagher Head Lake/Fortune Creek yet this season (2019). I’m wondering if the snow has all melted yet & what’s the current trail condition?