Hurricane Creek Trail in NC

• HTML tutorial

ArtieD73

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Hello new member as of the 1st of the year, had a chance to run the Hurricane Creek Trail in Waynesville North Carolina on Jan 3rd and I would recommend if you are in the area to take the time to run the trail, plan about 2 1/2 to 3 hours to make it all they way to Max Patch it is worth it, want to give a big shout out to Drake from roadside cafe for steering me to the trail

Virginia Overlander

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Charles City, VA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRCJ633
Hello new member as of the 1st of the year, had a chance to run the Hurricane Creek Trail in Waynesville North Carolina on Jan 3rd and I would recommend if you are in the area to take the time to run the trail, plan about 2 1/2 to 3 hours to make it all they way to Max Patch it is worth it, want to give a big shout out to Drake from roadside cafe for steering me to the trail
Any tips on just where to locate this trail

Virginia Overlander

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Charles City, VA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRCJ633
Found GPX track on GAIA. Disregard last message thanks

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran

BigBlueOx_TRD

Rank VII
Investor

World Traveler III

East Bend
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04ACI
Can stock rig make it?
We took my Stock 18 TRD PRO 4runner a stock 08 Sequoia and a 1.5" lifted Tacoma and had no issues at all. There was also 2 stock JKs that came up the trail while we were there.
This was 2 days after the hurricane came right through the area also so washouts were pretty rough in areas and still made it through no problem.
Make sure you plan enough time to hit MaxPatch and also Buzzards Roost Overlook (can be found on Google Maps)
I attached a few photos for you.
You'll have a blast.
Happy Trails!20181013_123020.jpeg20181013_133242.jpeg20181014_120517.jpeg20181014_135146.jpeg

H60Flyer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

NC, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Wolfen
Member #

We took my Stock 18 TRD PRO 4runner a stock 08 Sequoia and a 1.5" lifted Tacoma and had no issues at all. There was also 2 stock JKs that came up the trail while we were there.
This was 2 days after the hurricane came right through the area also so washouts were pretty rough in areas and still made it through no problem.
Make sure you plan enough time to hit MaxPatch and also Buzzards Roost Overlook (can be found on Google Maps)
I attached a few photos for you.
You'll have a blast.
Happy Trails!View attachment 84982View attachment 84983View attachment 84984View attachment 84985
Nice post, thanks for the info!

BigBlueOx_TRD

Rank VII
Investor

World Traveler III

East Bend
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04ACI
Nice post, thanks for the info!
No problem at all. If you have any other questions I'm happy to help. We had a blast and have considered going again.
The trail has it all too; Mud, rock steps, multiple water crossings (very shallow though), gravel road, hill descents and beautiful scenery.

H60Flyer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

NC, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Wolfen
Member #

No problem at all. If you have any other questions I'm happy to help. We had a blast and have considered going again.
The trail has it all too; Mud, rock steps, multiple water crossings (very shallow though), gravel road, hill descents and beautiful scenery.
Perfect, thx!

Qmed Joe

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fleetwood, NC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
QMED
Member #

How long does it take to get to Max Patch? ( sorry, I can’t watch the video, on a ship headed to Brazil)

BigBlueOx_TRD

Rank VII
Investor

World Traveler III

East Bend
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04ACI
How long does it take to get to Max Patch? ( sorry, I can’t watch the video, on a ship headed to Brazil)
Once you get to the end of hurricane creek you'll exit and take a sharp left. On a huge tree there is a small wooden sign saying Max patch on your left. Head down that path for about 10 mins. If you have Gaia maps it's super helpful for this part and guiding the forest service roads.

Reactions: Qmed Joe

Qmed Joe

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fleetwood, NC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
QMED
Member #

Once you get to the end of hurricane creek you'll exit and take a sharp left. On a huge tree there is a small wooden sign saying Max patch on your left. Head down that path for about 10 mins. If you have Gaia maps it's super helpful for this part and guiding the forest service roads.
Thanks! I have Gaia, I’ll make sure to use it!

Reactions: BigBlueOx_TRD

BigBlueOx_TRD

Rank VII
Investor

World Traveler III

East Bend
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04ACI
Thanks! I have Gaia, I’ll make sure to use it!
I have tried to figure out how to post routes through GAIA on OB. I've seen other members do this, but I cannot find ot how. If you know how, or anyone else, and can explain, I'll post the route I saved

Reactions: Qmed Joe

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
All of these questions and more have been answered in the thread I posted..

I have tried to figure out how to post routes through GAIA on OB. I've seen other members do this, but I cannot find ot how. If you know how, or anyone else, and can explain, I'll post the route I saved
You have to export the route as a KML or GPX file and then you an upload it.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign