Rank V

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Jackson Jr
Member #

Hopefully doing this right building out my Rig a 2001 Yukon XL 4x4 that I have had 17yrs started with 6 1/2" BDS Suspension lift & 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers and just dropped in new crate 5.3L replacement motor last week

Have done lots of state park tent camping, some hunting and lots of fishing but never what i would classify as full vehicle dependent overlanding.

Houston Area

Looking to learn a lot on getting my rig built right the first time and sharing what little bit I know

Attachments

Last edited:

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Welcome from just west of you in Georgetown. If you are ever in the area, we have a monthly meet up and also do some day trips, as well as overnighters.

Reactions: TxasYukonXL

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hopefully doing this right building out my Rig a 2001 Yukon XL 4x4 that I have had 17yrs started with 6 1/2" BDS Suspension lift & 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers and just dropped in new crate 5.3L replacement motor last week

Have done lots of state park tent camping, some hunting and lots of fishing but never what i would classify as full vehicle dependent overlanding.

Houston Area

Looking to learn a lot on getting my rig built right the first time and sharing what little bit I know
Welcome to Overland Bound
I do have one piece of advice for you about the lift. Hopefully the shop that installed the lift also upgraded the CV axles, this is very important with this vehicle. DM to follow.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative is @Prerunner1982
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

TxasYukonXL

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Jackson Jr
Member #

Welcome to Overland Bound
I do have one piece of advice for you about the lift. Hopefully the shop that installed the lift also upgraded the CV axles, this is very important with this vehicle. DM to follow.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative is @Prerunner1982
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Did not upgrade the CV axles but will put on my list and thanks for the advice exactly why I joined Overland Bound...

Reactions: Kent R

TxasYukonXL

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Jackson Jr
Member #

Welcome from just west of you in Georgetown. If you are ever in the area, we have a monthly meet up and also do some day trips, as well as overnighters.

Thanks Roots66 may take you up on that once i get passed this 500mile new motor break-in period and can open her up for some distance travel

TxJeeper75

Rank VI

Steward I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
Did not upgrade the CV axles but will put on my list and thanks for the advice exactly why I joined Overland Bound...
Welcome from San Antonio. I just want to say I second the suggestion from Kent R about upgrading the cv axles. I had an 05 Sierra with a 6 in. lift, and I learned real quick that a lot of stress is put on the joints at the new angle. I only found this out after mine had a catastrophic failure. Heard a clunk one day while on the highway. Pulled over and saw the boot was torn near the hub. Called for a tow, but they were going to be an hour, with a $250 cost. I wasn't too far from home, so I tried to limp it back, but 3 blocks from home, the tire fell off. Luckily I was only going 10mph when it happened. I skidded it the rest of the way. Not sure what failed first, the cv or the hub assembly, but it was after doing some research that I learned the cv was prone to failure after lifting the vehicle.

Attachments

TxasYukonXL

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Jackson Jr
Member #

Welcome from San Antonio. I just want to say I second the suggestion from Kent R about upgrading the cv axles. I had an 05 Sierra with a 6 in. lift, and I learned real quick that a lot of stress is put on the joints at the new angle. I only found this out after mine had a catastrophic failure. Heard a clunk one day while on the highway. Pulled over and saw the boot was torn near the hub. Called for a tow, but they were going to be an hour, with a $250 cost. I wasn't too far from home, so I tried to limp it back, but 3 blocks from home, the tire fell off. Luckily I was only going 10mph when it happened. I skidded it the rest of the way. Not sure what failed first, the cv or the hub assembly, but it was after doing some research that I learned the cv was prone to failure after lifting the vehicle.
Thanks for the info couple of questions What type of lift did you have on that truck? What did you replace your cv axles with?

TxJeeper75

Rank VI

Steward I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
Thanks for the info couple of questions What type of lift did you have on that truck? What did you replace your cv axles with?
The lift was Tuff Country. As for the axle, I was already planning on selling the truck, so I just found a replacement. There are options out there for beefier CVs.
Maybe someone else on here will have more info for that. If I had the money, I would go with these.

Last edited:

TxasYukonXL

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Jackson Jr
Member #

The lift was Tuff Country. As for the axle, I was already planning on selling the truck, so I just found a replacement. There are options out there for beefier CVs. You just have to do some research. If I had the money, I would go with these.
Thanks again... those are some nice CV axles but considering I am still breaking in my new motor think I will get a spare stock set and keep in truck with tools for now until the budget says different

Wish i had photo of original angles to compare to current below which I don’t think are too bad although i know that is different from strength

Attachments

Last edited:

TxasYukonXL

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Jackson Jr
Member #

Mike,
Did some homework and wheeling this weekend in Sam Houston National Forest solo and started thinking about how I would not want to get caught in the middle of nowhere ... so ordered these CV Axels from O’Reilly looks a more robust than stock also will add some tire rod sleeves as i don’t plan on doing any Rock Crawling but hoping that keeps me steady and on the road for some time while i am discovering what kind of overlanding i plan on doing

Will stall these and keep my stock as spares in the truck with tools to do the swap on the trail if necessary

Thanks again for the advice hope you are enjoying the Jeep now believe i have a few years in Yukon XL before i max out its capabilities

Attachments

Reactions: TxJeeper75

TxasYukonXL

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Jackson Jr
Member #

Engine Break-In is officially done a couple of day trips to the Sam Houston National Forest no under my belt..sharing a few pics and some notes made on pdf map i was using to find my way around hopefully useful to Newbies like me likely old info for you wheeling seniors

Plan on making my way back in a couple of weeks with my kayak and may do an overnight once i knock some dust off my tent after digging it out of the garage

Attachments

TxJeeper75

Rank VI

Steward I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
Mike,
Did some homework and wheeling this weekend in Sam Houston National Forest solo and started thinking about how I would not want to get caught in the middle of nowhere ... so ordered these CV Axels from O’Reilly looks a more robust than stock also will add some tire rod sleeves as i don’t plan on doing any Rock Crawling but hoping that keeps me steady and on the road for some time while i am discovering what kind of overlanding i plan on doing

Will stall these and keep my stock as spares in the truck with tools to do the swap on the trail if necessary

Thanks again for the advice hope you are enjoying the Jeep now believe i have a few years in Yukon XL before i max out its capabilities
Those look like they'll do the job. Glad to see you were able to find something more affordable. They should last you a good while. Having a good time gearing up the Jeep. Recently installed a gas can mount and a mount for my shower tank. Waiting on a rear window from Smittybilt so I can work on the fridge slide and drawers.
Inked20200913_194735_LI.jpg20200815_192847.jpg

TxasYukonXL

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Jackson Jr
Member #

Those look like they'll do the job. Glad to see you were able to find something more affordable. They should last you a good while. Having a good time gearing up the Jeep. Recently installed a gas can mount and a mount for my shower tank. Waiting on a rear window from Smittybilt so I can work on the fridge slide and drawers.
View attachment 170148View attachment 170149

TxasYukonXL

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Jackson Jr
Member #

View attachment 170148View attachment 170149
Setup looks Great one of the best thng about Jeeps is that so much is available aftermarket... Do you have to pump the handle on the shower to build pressure or do you have a battery operated pump? How long are you out when you go on a walk about?

Picked up the battery operated shower system below to rinse off after kayaking having a mount would save lots of hassle as i need to fill water bucket for source

Spending more time doing day trips to the Sam Houston National Forest starting to figure out what i need to carry every trip and nice to haves.

Attachments

Reactions: TxJeeper75

David H

Local Expert Southern ID

Traveler III

Boise, ID, 83713 USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKQ684
Service Branch
U.S.A.F.

Houston Area

Henry,
Idaho sends you a warm welcome to Overland Bound.

Reactions: TxasYukonXL