Howdy from Burbank!

• HTML tutorial
J

Jeff Wright

Hey there! Just joined in the last week, and got encouraged to post an intro message. Here's the scoop:

1) LOCATION: We split our time between Burbank, CA and Missoula, Montana.
2) Favorite locations: The California high desert, the Eastern Sierras and the mountains of Western Montana.
3) PREVIOUS RIG: 2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD
4) CURRENT RIG(S): There are a pair of vehicles that we take on trips: a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport (speed, comfort, space for kids and gear) to get to a basecamp and a 1985 Jeep CJ7 that handles the exploration duties.
5) EXPERIENCE: My wife and I both grew up camping, backpacking and enjoying the outdoors and we have been doing trips with our kids since our first was 6 months old. The first time I left the pavement was when I was 5 years old in my uncle's '58 M-38A1 and ever since then I've loved being off road. We're working to make sure our kids fall in love with it as well, and I'm looking forward to learning more from this community, meeting some cool people and most of all taking some great trips!

Attached are a couple pics from this past weekend in the Sierras.

Thanks for reading and happy overlanding!

IMG_5087.jpg IMG_5078.jpg

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Welcome, several of us down this way.
Nice looking Jeep, i have fond memories of the CJ7.

Nice pics, too.
I would like to explore Montana more, breathtaking scenery.

Dan.

vonfogel

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Burbank, CA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Fogel
Member #

Hey Jeff - I'm new here as well, and also from Burbank! Hope to meet you and other nearby members soon!

Reactions: Jeff Wright

RedRyder

Rank VI

Influencer I

Rathdrum, ID
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Bendel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6MFB
Service Branch
CA State Guard
Welcome! I loved exploring the Sierras when I lived in SoCal. Lots of great fishing in the lakes and streams tucked in there. Moved up to the Idaho Panhandle a few years back so I'm only about 3 hours from Missoula. Maybe we can organize some sort of event with all the local members next time you're in our neck of the woods.

J

Jeff Wright

Thanks all! To those of you in the Burbank area, I'd love to hear about good local trips, maybe even day trips, that you've done just to get some dirt under your tires. Looking forward to hearing from you! --jw

vonfogel

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Burbank, CA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Fogel
Member #

Thanks all! To those of you in the Burbank area, I'd love to hear about good local trips, maybe even day trips, that you've done just to get some dirt under your tires. Looking forward to hearing from you! --jw
Southern California is full of so many amazing places within just a few hours! Some of my recent favorite trips have been Red Rock Canyon State Park and Anza Borrego State Park! I also did Trona Pinnacles and Alabama Hills last weekend which were both fantastic. Tons of great stuff up 395 near Bishop/Mammoth which will be fun to check out after the snow melts...

Reactions: Jeff Wright
J

Jeff Wright

Southern California is full of so many amazing places within just a few hours! Some of my recent favorite trips have been Red Rock Canyon State Park and Anza Borrego State Park! I also did Trona Pinnacles and Alabama Hills last weekend which were both fantastic. Tons of great stuff up 395 near Bishop/Mammoth which will be fun to check out after the snow melts...
Red Rock and Alabama Hills are 2 of my favorite spots. We were just out in Lone Pine/Alabama Hills last weekend! I need to check out Trona Pinnacles and definitely want to get down to Anza Borrego. What's good out in the Joshua Tree/Yucca Valley/29 Palms area?

vonfogel

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Burbank, CA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Fogel
Member #

No way, what a coincidence!
Anza Borrego is a must - check out Lower Coyote Creek and 17 Palms Oasis when you go (there's a ton of other trails there which I have yet to explore).
In Joshua Tree we did Geology Tour Road and Berdoo Canyon which were great (though next time I would start Berdoo from the south)

Caliber1

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Los Alamitos CA
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Mejia
Member #

I am about 30 miles away from Burbank and am ready to get to know the local trails as well.