• HTML tutorial

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

They are eager to learn. I have been thinking about making a video on various fire making methods and tinders.
This is from this past weekend...there are some of us who know the skills. Shot some video to edit down into a blog video in the future of the process too. This is what I posted on Instagram while I was in camp.

With our group was a Aussie ex-pat that we taught how to use the flint and steel, as well as a rod and he even attempted a bow friction start (the first two were successful).

IMG_20160213_144844.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthStar96

Advocate II

Rob I'll See what I can get done. I git some different ideas for a video. Would you guys like one video or maybe a couple shorts like on covering some different man made tinders, on on different natural tinders and then one on lighting firs with sime different tinders and methods?

Last edited:

OkieMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Marty
Last Name
AAAA
Member #

Last weekend we did a little spur of the moment campfire. My 4 year old got to try the ferro rod method out for the first time. She loved it, had to help her obviously but she thought she was the coolest thing ever getting a fire going.

I like to have a few methods around and keep proficient with all. Ferro rod and lighter are the favorites but I have a steel I got at a medieval fair also, although I'm not as great with it.

Fat wood, char cloth, and cotton rounds and Vasoline are my favorite tinders and have treated my right when I needed to depend on them.

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
When I was in Boy Scouts, we would cut cardboard into 1-2 inch strips, then wrap them into a roll that would fit inside of a tuna can. Then we would melt paraffin into the top of that. We used these more for trail markers at night than for starting fires, but they worked well in a Sterno stove, too. They would burn for 30-45 min. 8>)

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I use dryer lint soaked in Vasoline and then stuffed into a toilet paper roll then store them in ziploc bags. 3 rolls will fit into a sandwich size bag. Any small spark or flame sets them ablaze.

Reactions: SLO Rob

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I keep altoid tins with various tinder in side, usually cotton balls soaked in vasoline or superfine steel wool.

Sent from my iPad using Overland Bound Talk

Last edited:

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

My wife and kids use the cardboard style egg cartons, dryer lint, and wax. They put the dryer lint in each little egg carton pocket and then pour leftover candle wax into it. Each little egg carton section is then cut and we store them in ziplock bags. When needed we just take 1 or 2 out.

Reactions: RiverCityDave

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

It might have been mentioned in the thread already, but a couple of item that we stock in our boxes.
  1. Long Lighters (2x)
  2. Fire Starter logs - these work wonders in wet environments to get something to take off and are compact in size to fit anywhere.
  3. Lint - this is free, and if you do laundry as much as us you have an endless supply of it. Also a great form of fire starter but for dryer environments. This can also be compressed and packed tightly.
So far this has gotten us through dry, rain, snow, sleet, you name it and all packs down nice and neat.

Runamok

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gainesville, Florida
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4NWP
Cotton balls in vasoline then dip in hot wax. Makes them waterproof and then can burn like a candle too. They last a long time.

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
We save our bacon grease, egg cartons, lint, the little TP rolls, PT rolls cut in half, newspaper, anything that burns. The grease gets applied to cotton balls, lint, newspaper, whatever. Then we use all of that stuff to fill the egg cartons, TP and PT rolls. We stuff em into Ziploc bags and store them in a box so they're ready when needed.

Reactions: TreXTerra