Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I'd listed a UST BlastMatch in mt list back on page one. What I like about it vs. other ferosteel rod fire starters is that it can be operated one-handed, and it is easier to place the spark where you want it. Here's a demo video showing using one.

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

I'd listed a UST BlastMatch in mt list back on page one. What I like about it vs. other ferosteel rod fire starters is that it can be operated one-handed, and it is easier to place the spark where you want it. Here's a demo video showing using one.

omg thats awesome!!

Reactions: Steve

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

The ultimate cheat for quick in-camp fires? Fireplace logs!

Yes, light the paper and watch it burn, put the crappy wet "authorized for use in the National/State Park" wood you had to buy when you arrived on it and actually get the wood to burn!

Reactions: IronPercheron

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

The ultimate cheat for quick in-camp fires? Fireplace logs!

Yes, light the paper and watch it burn, put the crappy wet "authorized for use in the National/State Park" wood you had to buy when you arrived on it and actually get the wood to burn!
Sawdust bound by wax. Make them yourself at 1/4 the price

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

Or throw some Doritos in the pit. Swear by it...
I mentioned this at the Heart of Texas Off Road Club Bonfire run this last weekend. I was met with disbelief. So I tossed three or four into the fire, and people were amazed at how much heat was added, and how big the flare up was.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Well, I could start with some dryer lint soaked in petroleum jelly, some dry tinder, carefully prepared kindling, and gradually step up to large logs.

I could even show off and start it with a single match, or better yet, some flint and steel.

Aww, who am I kidding? I bring a propane blowtorch from Harbor Freight and just throw a bunch of sticks and such in a messy pile and hit it with the blowtorch for a few seconds.

Yeah, I'm a damn cheat.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Problem with that pic is each log is going to roll a different direction than the one below it, and drive the one above in the same direction as the one below it. This greatly increases the chances of the whole shebang coming down in one pile and ruining the engineer's day.

I was a machinist. My job was to point out to the engineers what could and couldn't be done and why.

Advocate II

I tend to try and use natural tinder such as Birch bark, fat wood, feather sticks, dry grasses etc.. whenever I can. I do have a fire kit with wet tinder, cotton pads, a magnesium rod, char-cloth and a few other things in it. To start a fire I generally use matches or a lighter if I need a quick fire, however I prefer to use a firesteel or flint and steel. Like to keep up on my basic survival skills and makes for good lessons for the wife and kids.