How To: Off-Road Trail Tire Repair

• HTML tutorial

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

Ahhh, yes....done this many, many, many times. Never in the mountains, never in the forest, always near home getting nails on the road. At one time I had 2 plugs in one back tire, another in the other back tire and one in one of my front tires. Really easy to do, and last. I never replaced the tires because of these, only when it was time, about 30,000 miles! They work!

Reactions: Michael

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ahhh, yes....done this many, many, many times. Never in the mountains, never in the forest, always near home getting nails on the road. At one time I had 2 plugs in one back tire, another in the other back tire and one in one of my front tires. Really easy to do, and last. I never replaced the tires because of these, only when it was time, about 30,000 miles! They work!
re: nails on the road - Sounds about right for our luck! Too bad a nail in the road doesn't make for an exciting story. :)

Mirek

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

EL Dorado Hills CA
Member #

Michael I want you to know that I'm very impressed with you, I don't know many people that would drill a hole in perfectly good front tire, but you did . You took one for OB crew so the rest of us can learn. You took one for the team !!

Last edited:

Corbie

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have a tire plug kit in all 3 of my vehicles and have used them several times on my cars and other. No need for a fancy kit. I have the $3 dollar kits from walmart. They work great.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Deluxe-Reamer-Plugger/47301725
I would agree, to a point, I have used plenty of cheap kits, i will say get one with a T handle vs. a screw driver type handle it is much easier on the hands while reaming and plugging. My 2¢

Reactions: WilhelmB and britz

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I have needed to repair a tire,with my kit, a time or two. Once, driving at night, In Mexico (Never a good idea). Some bad guys slid boards with many nails in them, across the street. I ended up with at least 12 punctures in both my steer tires. Once the bandits rummaged through my stuff, and stole what they wanted, I preceded to get to work. I put on my spare tire, and plugged the other. It was tuff going, ant took me a bit of time. I was finally able to get back on the road.

Corbie

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have needed to repair a tire,with my kit, a time or two. Once, driving at night, In Mexico (Never a good idea). Some bad guys slid boards with many nails in them, across the street. I ended up with at least 12 punctures in both my steer tires. Once the bandits rummaged through my stuff, and stole what they wanted, I preceded to get to work. I put on my spare tire, and plugged the other. It was tuff going, ant took me a bit of time. I was finally able to get back on the road.
That sounds like an entertaining story. One that should be told around a campfire. Glad you made it out okay

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
That sounds like an entertaining story. One that should be told around a campfire. Glad you made it out okay

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I would love to make it to Abu Dhabi to play in the sand dunes. If this trip makes it on my calendar, will let you know.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Now that sounds interesting! I have read that you never drive at night in Mexico, even their visitor site warns against it due to animals, never figure they were referring to 4 legged ones.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Now that sounds interesting! I have read that you never drive at night in Mexico, even their visitor site warns a gainst it due to animals, never figure they were referring to 4 legged ones.
Live and learn! I try to stay on the toll roads now.

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

I'd noticed a slow leak that I had checked out at the tire shop, but they found nothing. I dealt with it for months, filling the tire every 10 days, or so.

My brother, his son, and I decided to take off across Utah's West Desert in search of the Topaz Mountain Japanese Internment Site near Delta, Utah. At one stop to look at some very interesting rock formations my nephew said, "Uh, your tire is leaking." And sure enough, it was! Air was rushing from a small hole where a piece of metal had been hiding and my slow leak was going to cause real problems.

I popped open my tool box and found the cheapest tire plug kit I'd been able to find at AutoZone 5 years before. We tore it open, followed the instructions as closely as possible, and got a plug in the hole with 29psi to spare! Having that kit saved the day. (Or at least saved me from having to put my spare on...!)

In the repair process we bent the heck out of that cheap little tool and the first thing I did upon our return home was to buy the sturdiest tire plug kit I could find at AutoZone.

That plug was still in the tire, still holding air 15,000 miles later when the tread was worn out and I picked up new "shoes".

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I have plugged so many tires over the years I have lost count. Lately, most have been in my wife's Evogue. Not sure where she is picking them up. The tire companies out here in CA have told her I should never plug a tire and only use a patch. I have had a patch fail but never a plug. I used to use the cheapy plug kits, but after bending a few I spent the money for the better-made versions like ARB and Boulder. It was money well spent. I also added a good pair of Knipex pliers to the kits after having a difficult time getting a screw out in the Disneyland parking lot.

Reactions: sabjku

PDB

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wales, UK
First Name
PD
Last Name
B
Member #

I second Colby emergency tyre valves and pliers, plus a quality valve threader. I also pack a bag of balance beads in case I throw a bead when aired down - this will throw out the wheel balance. I have the ARB kit. The little box with emergency tyre valve caps saved the day with the sun going down out in the remote hills, in the rain, with a sheared off valve stem. The ARB valve threader tool is junk though and failed. Silicone tape and gorilla tape managed to bodge a valve repair enough to hold 1.5 Bar to get me home. That was an hour driving at 50 after we left the trail - let it not be said the ST Maxx is not a tough tyre. I now carry Colby tyre valves and..... a full spare!