Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
This is what my wife and I came up with, I think the quick fist clamps and the craftsman ladder mount and a locking tie down costed around 60 bucks. I'll post up some pics with it mounted

Attachments

Reactions: FishinCrzy

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

Damn awesome! Looks great! These mounting brackets are so much better then shelling out $100+, so glad I found this thread. I also have the 11 gallon footwell water tank myself, can't wait to use it this season. Got a tankless water heater shower set up I'm itching to use on longer trips as well. Here's what I came up with for mounting on my rack for now. Stupid short garage door means I'll have to leave it off till I gear up for a trip but oh well, it's easy enough to get on/off with a couple bolts.
If you re drilled the holes 2"-3" lower you could move the strap down toward the middle of the tank and most likely be able to use both holes.

XJ5280

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Silverton
If you re drilled the holes 2"-3" lower you could move the strap down toward the middle of the tank and most likely be able to use both holes.
Thought about doing something like that but on the other side where the strap connects its on a welded tab so I'd have to cut the tab off and weld on a new one a couple inches lower. Eventually that may be something I tackle to make perfect but it's worked for me the entire summer with no issues the way it is rigged up now. I did use a bottle jack to bow out the sides a bit so that the tank doesn't rub on either side and create some potential issues. I also covered the rear with tool drawer liner to cut down on metal on metal rubbing. Still a far better solution than spending double-triple the price on a dedicated mount from some of these "overland" accessory companies. 2021-10-12.jpg

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

Thought about doing something like that but on the other side where the strap connects its on a welded tab so I'd have to cut the tab off and weld on a new one a couple inches lower. Eventually that may be something I tackle to make perfect but it's worked for me the entire summer with no issues the way it is rigged up now. I did use a bottle jack to bow out the sides a bit so that the tank doesn't rub on either side and create some potential issues. I also covered the rear with tool drawer liner to cut down on metal on metal rubbing. Still a far better solution than spending double-triple the price on a dedicated mount from some of these "overland" accessory companies. View attachment 212551
I forgot about the tab on the other side. It would just take a bit more work. But if its doing the job why mess with it.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Thought about doing something like that but on the other side where the strap connects its on a welded tab so I'd have to cut the tab off and weld on a new one a couple inches lower. Eventually that may be something I tackle to make perfect but it's worked for me the entire summer with no issues the way it is rigged up now. I did use a bottle jack to bow out the sides a bit so that the tank doesn't rub on either side and create some potential issues. I also covered the rear with tool drawer liner to cut down on metal on metal rubbing. Still a far better solution than spending double-triple the price on a dedicated mount from some of these "overland" accessory companies. View attachment 212551
How about drilling a hole lower and bolting a piece of angle iron to it, with a hole for the strap mount?

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I run a 20# on my teardrop. Cheap and available everywhere, even exchange since fewer places will refill these days. I have it hooked to my stove with an outlet for my portable grill. I even plan to use it for a propane fire ring since fire restrictions are getting so prevalent. A fire ring or a grill can suck down a bottle quick.

Reactions: Brewbud

pmurphy16

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Redlands, CA, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
murphy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6MRO
Service Branch
US Navy
Why would you need 20lbs of propane? Get a little 5lb tank and a bracket.

because in california as everyone knows there is a fireban. Most places only allow propane fires so for us having a 20lb tank goes a long ways for the outland bowl.

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I carry 6 of the 1 pound tanks that I refill and use a brass cap from amazon incase they might leak.

shaepa

Rank V

Advocate III

Colorado Springs, El Paso County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Shae
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ignik has a 5# tank with a growler which is safe to carry in the vehicle. We were going to go with a bigger tank, but this is a better option for our rig since we don’t have a good place to mount it either.
However, we were thinking of trying to fab something that could go in the hitch receiver and sit nicely on the rear bumper…

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Ignik has a 5# tank with a growler which is safe to carry in the vehicle.
I’m curious what makes this tank any different from a standard propane tank. I don’t see where they advertise that it is designed to transport indoors, at least any more so than a standard propane tank.