Rank III

Enthusiast I

Syosset, New York
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Page Jr
Member #

Hi! looking for ideas on how to carry a 20 lb propane tank on my JKU without drilling into the body of the vehicle. I am getting a Gobi Rack with a 23zero RTT, any recommendations on maybe attaching the tank to the rack's ladder?

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Um...Don't! That's a lot of propane for camping! I just bought a tiny 5# (1.2 ish gal). You can buy cool mounts for them, they are 8" in diameter and 12" tall. Light weight, saves space and more then enough fuel for a several day trip. Its equivalent to like 10 of the little green cans.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Why would you need 20lbs of propane? Get a little 5lb tank and a bracket.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Yes, 5 lb sounds fine. Any pointers on a bracket? Haven't found any with a simple attachment to the Jeep?
Plenty of options with a Google search. Can use hose clamps to attach to your rack, or, don't attach it. The 5# is small enough to just squeeze it in a spot. Might be good to have it portable.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i don't think there is hate for a certain size tank..thats just a lot of fuel. i bought a new teardrop type camper 2 years ago and we have been on a lot of trips where i use the LP to cook 3 meals a day, coffee, and run a small water heater for showers. probably a good month or so of use in all and i STILL have not refilled it in 2 yrs.
i recently bought an 11# tank to go in the cargo basket on my camper shell...still a lot of fuel. its not a big deal having the 11# tank, but a 5# would be a lot easier to deal with and secure.
the wife and i did a 10 day trip in north georgia last january and we took the truck and a single burner stove and cooked and made coffee everyday and just barely got into our 2nd 1# bottle. its surprising how long LP lasts.
i wish my 20# was the 11# and that my 11# was a 5#.

so as to the OP question...it was already said on here and i agree that i would get the 5# tank and get a hose/regulator and just keep it portable and stick it wherever you have room and then pull it out when ready to use it. you probably can use a fire extinguisher bracket and large hose clamps to mount it if you need to. it would be a bitch doing that with a 20# tank.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I dont understand why all the hate for a 20# tank. If you have room for it, why not use it?
Its an unnecessary amount of fuel, weight and size to want to "mount" on a Jeep, unless you are going into the deep for 6 months at a time. If it was an RV, sure, but being a mid size SUV, youre at a premium for mounting space.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I looked at the dimensions of the fire extinguisher they sell. It’s close. I may have to do some tweaking. I’ll see when it arrives.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
This is the 11# tank I have and I'd never pay $50 for a mount but my truck with the Diamondback Bed Cover and RTT rack make it easy to mount the tank with cheap hardware I can pick up at Lowe's.

Last edited:

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
My fire extinguisher, er propane tank, bracket arrived today. A little bit of fiddling and it’ll latch right up.

Attachments