XJ5280

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Silverton
My fire extinguisher, er propane tank, bracket arrived today. A little bit of fiddling and it’ll latch right up.
What exactly did you have to fiddle? I'm looking at getting that same bracket as I don't wanna shell out over $100 for Powertank or Front Runner but wanna be sure it will actually latch up with my 5# flame king bottle in it

Reactions: Sparksalot

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
If this has been said, I missed it. I use one of the square heavy plastic milk crates. They hold a 20lb tank quite nicely. I use a wratchet strap to secure the crate and tank to the tongue rack of my trailer. I I have packed them into the bed of my truck this way as well using other gear packed in around them to keep them secure. Been doing this for years with no issues. I have even stowed empty tanks like this in the back of an SUV to take them to get exchanged or refilled. The square milk crates are awesome for holding/transporting those tanks.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
What exactly did you have to fiddle? I'm looking at getting that same bracket as I don't wanna shell out over $100 for Powertank or Front Runner but wanna be sure it will actually latch up with my 5# flame king bottle in it
I had to adjust the retention strap. I still need to mount it.

Attachments

Reactions: XJ5280

XJ5280

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Silverton
Awesome, thank you for the pics! It seem to hold it pretty securely? I'm going to be mounting mine to my roof rack, don't want it taking any unwanted trips down the trail lol.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Awesome, thank you for the pics! It seem to hold it pretty securely? I'm going to be mounting mine to my roof rack, don't want it taking any unwanted trips down the trail lol.
I wouldn’t have any reservations about doing what you’re thinking.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I used these thingys.

They have all kinds of fasteners for various applications.
I was a little concerned not to put a fuel cylinder in a place that could be easily compromised in an accident.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Found the Quick Fist Kit on Amazon for $10 cheaper, might just have to get one of these to make attaching things to my rack a bit easier!

Edit: Just placed my order!

Last edited:

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Found the Quick Fist Kit on Amazon for $10 cheaper, might just have to get one of these to make attaching things to my rack a bit easier!

I think it was these are the better fit?? I need to go out to the shed (raining at the moment) and see what I used but it was snug and I had to stretch it.

Reactions: Dusther210

XJ5280

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Silverton
Sorry to bug you on this one again, I just got my bracket in and my tank won't fit inside at all, did you have to somehow bend out the sides? From your pics it looks like your tank sits all the way in and touches the rubber bumpers on the back wall, mine hits the sides and sits probably 2" or so away and the retention strap won't adjust out far enough to latch at that point :triumph: lol

Reactions: Dusther210

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
If I mounted the tank against a bulkhead or head end of a pickup bed, I might be tempted by the quick fists. That way a sudden stop isn’t trying to pull that tank against the straps.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Sorry to bug you on this one again, I just got my bracket in and my tank won't fit inside at all, did you have to somehow bend out the sides? From your pics it looks like your tank sits all the way in and touches the rubber bumpers on the back wall, mine hits the sides and sits probably 2" or so away and the retention strap won't adjust out far enough to latch at that point :triumph: lol
My tank is right at 8” diameter, so fits mostly. I did adjust the strap at both ends to project out further so I could close the latch.

Attachments

XJ5280

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Silverton
My tank is right at 8” diameter, so fits mostly. I did adjust the strap at both ends to project out further so I could close the latch.
Dude you are the man, thank you so much. I don't know what I was smoking, didn't even think to move that right side clip bracket up a hole lol that totally makes sense now. She works like a dream now. Super appreciate all the pics and measurements you hooked it up with, just saved me so much money/time!

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Dude you are the man, thank you so much. I don't know what I was smoking, didn't even think to move that right side clip bracket up a hole lol that totally makes sense now. She works like a dream now. Super appreciate all the pics and measurements you hooked it up with, just saved me so much money/time!
That’s good news. Im going to finally mount mine in my teardrop this weekend.

XJ5280

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Silverton
That’s good news. Im going to finally mount mine in my teardrop this weekend.
Very awesome, good luck to ya! That's the other thing I really like about this particular mounting bracket is it seems to have an insane amount of mounting holes, at least in the base. My next task will be figuring out how to mount it to my cheapo Surco rack but it shouldn't be too bad. You should post final mounted pics if you feel so inclined.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I finally mounted the propane tank in the galley of my teardrop. This niche is where an ice chest has lived for 13 years. Since upgrading to a fridge in thecopcar, I’ve been thinking how to repurpose the space. I’ve got several waterbricks that can be added to supplement the 11 gallon footwell tank in my rig.

Attachments

XJ5280

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Silverton
I finally mounted the propane tank in the galley of my teardrop. This niche is where an ice chest has lived for 13 years. Since upgrading to a fridge in thecopcar, I’ve been thinking how to repurpose the space. I’ve got several waterbricks that can be added to supplement the 11 gallon footwell tank in my rig.
Damn awesome! Looks great! These mounting brackets are so much better then shelling out $100+, so glad I found this thread. I also have the 11 gallon footwell water tank myself, can't wait to use it this season. Got a tankless water heater shower set up I'm itching to use on longer trips as well. Here's what I came up with for mounting on my rack for now. Stupid short garage door means I'll have to leave it off till I gear up for a trip but oh well, it's easy enough to get on/off with a couple bolts.

Attachments

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

Some good ideas here. I usually take at least a 20lb tank with me strapped into one of my gas tank holders on my jeep. Here in SoCal you can't have a wood fire most of the year. I take a propane fire pit at those times of the year so a 20lb tank is needed.

Last edited:

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Damn awesome! Looks great! These mounting brackets are so much better then shelling out $100+, so glad I found this thread. I also have the 11 gallon footwell water tank myself, can't wait to use it this season. Got a tankless water heater shower set up I'm itching to use on longer trips as well. Here's what I came up with for mounting on my rack for now. Stupid short garage door means I'll have to leave it off till I gear up for a trip but oh well, it's easy enough to get on/off with a couple bolts.
That looks pretty cool. It’s nice to have that kind of rack.