How Much Battery Power do I need

• HTML tutorial

Rburt77YJ

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Maine
Member #

I am building an overland trailer and it is going to have a dometic 40 qt fridge on board. I want to put a battery on the trailer so I can be disconnected and still have cool stuff when i get back. Having a hard time finding anything on power consumption for the cooler.

I would like to be able to have it run over night or longer with out dying. While traveling it will be charging from the tow vehicle i am just worried about the stationary time.

Any one out there have an info that would be helpful I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

I promise to post pictures when it is done.

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

I have the same questions, but in the absence of a good plausible answer, overkill always works for me. So it's 2 Blue Top Optimas and 2 120 watt solar panels.

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

Do you have access to the frig and the tools to measure the power consumption? If I remember correctly, battery discharge rates are measured in amp/hour which is usually posted on the battery. Knowing this you could calculate the time the batteries will last. Ron

Reactions: HeliSniper

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I have and engel 45qt and whynter 62qt dual zone. The 62 is in my trailer and I uses 2 blue Optima batteries and the solar charger was 25.00 on Amazon. I have 4 of this chargers, 1 for the trailer and the other go in vehicle that will be sitting for a little while. 1 of them is in my semi and it keeps 4 batteries charged up.

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Hit the wrong button. The 62 with the 2 batteries and the solar charger was parked and used for a week, the only recharge the batteries got was from solar. That ran the led lights, charged phones, ran and inverter to power a blender and espresso machine. I hope this helps.