How many Air Compressor Units & Tanks are Reccomended?

• HTML tutorial

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

What would be a reasonable amount of compressors & tanks to either permanently affix to a rig or use as free standing units? The ARB model is quite popular but I would assume that this may not provide enough capability depending on the type of environment you are traversing and the distance, would a back-up be safe option?

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
With all the new 24 and 40 volt li-ion battery powered air compressors on the market I would look at that option before committing to a fixed 12 volt unit.

Reactions: PatriotT4R

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I may lean towards both a fixed under the hood and portable in case I find my vehicle front end or tires in a compromised position.
I have a 24V unit and I've found the batteries, in storage, hold a charge for 10-12 months before they need to be topped off. They have enough energy to refill all four tires at least twice before needing a charge. The chargers require a pure sine wave converter if used on the trail.

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

What would be a reasonable amount of compressors & tanks to either permanently affix to a rig or use as free standing units? The ARB model is quite popular but I would assume that this may not provide enough capability depending on the type of environment you are traversing and the distance, would a back-up be safe option?
Are you using it just to air up your tires?
Either an ARB or Viair compressor would be a good choice for that. We also prefer mounted units. Our FJ Cruiser has a Viair 400 series under the hood. Our 4R has a Viair Medium Duty unit including 2 1/2 gallon tank mounted in the rear.
Both systems air our tires up from 20psi to 35 quickly, maybe 15-20 minutes. Long enough to get the map out to see where we're headed next. :)

If you'd like to see the details of both installs hop over to our YouTube channel. There's a link below.

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

F
Either an ARB or Viair compressor would be a good choice for that. We also prefer mounted units. Our FJ Cruiser has a Viair 400 series under the hood. Our 4R has a Viair Medium Duty unit including 2 1/2 gallon tank mounted in the rear.
Both systems air our tires up from 20psi to 35 quickly, maybe 15-20 minutes. Long enough to get the map out to see where we're headed next. :)

If you'd like to see the details of both installs hop over to our YouTube channel. There's a link below.
First HOLY COW!! I've watched all your T4Runner Build videos on youtube!!! You are the ones who inspired me on so many levels to build out my 4Runner. The video showing how you installed the Air Tank where the spare tire used to be was awesome!!! I will definitely take your advise. Man this is crazy Wonderlost Overland ... go figure ... small world. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my thread.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

F

First HOLY COW!! I've watched all your T4Runner Build videos on youtube!!! You are the ones who inspired me on so many levels to build out my 4Runner. The video showing how you installed the Air Tank where the spare tire used to be was awesome!!! I will definitely take your advise. Man this is crazy Wonderlost Overland ... go figure ... small world. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my thread.
You really made our day, thanks!!!
Another little bit of advice we can give you; after using the system we installed in the 4R for some time now we came to the conclusion that for airing up, the tank isn't necessary. If / when we do it again we'll just install a 400 series with no tank.

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

You really made our day, thanks!!!
Another little bit of advice we can give you; after using the system we installed in the 4R for some time now we came to the conclusion that for airing up, the tank isn't necessary. If / when we do it again we'll just install a 400 series with no tank.
This is Great! Noted thank you so much for the reply back ... by the way I was watching the FJ build as well .... I had one for awhile until my wife opted for the 4R. Have a Blessed Day keep on Overlanding Love your youtube channel!!!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
After burning out two Viair's I now cary the big portable Smitty compressor its heavy and doesn't have an automatic shut off but it works great and I cary a 10lb CO2. Someday ill put a compressor under the hood again but right now they are either to expensive or unreliable.

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

After burning out two Viair's I now cary the big portable Smitty compressor its heavy and doesn't have an automatic shut off but it works great and I cary a 10lb CO2. Someday ill put a compressor under the hood again but right now they are either to expensive or unreliable.
Agreed .. They are expensive not sure why ... and I thought air was free! Smitty I'll take a look at them sounds like a reliable avenue of approach. TY Kent!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Agreed .. They are expensive not sure why ... and I thought air was free! Smitty I'll take a look at them sounds like a reliable avenue of approach. TY Kent!
Let me qualify the reason I have the Smitty, 4wheel parts had their pre Christmas sale the in 17 and I got it for $75.00 over half off. One day deal. We did some modifications to it so I could use my existing fittings over their propriety fittings. If you need more info on my Viair issue you can message me @Kent R

trailhunter

Rank III

Traveler I

US

What safe tubing do you recommend between a arb compressor to an air tank 5-7 ft away?

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

What safe tubing do you recommend between a arb compressor to an air tank 5-7 ft away?
We have a farm supply store nearby. They have premade air hoses in a wide selection of lengths and end connections. We recommend staying away from any rigid plastic, or any plastic tubing. Hose and fittings rated at or above 200psi.

trailhunter

Rank III

Traveler I

US
We have a farm supply store nearby. They have premade air hoses in a wide selection of lengths and end connections. We recommend staying away from any rigid plastic, or any plastic tubing. Hose and fittings rated at or above 200psi.
That's what I'm leaning towards to. There appears to be steel braided hose which sounds like an ideal setup

Here is a hose that I'm looking at too, perfect distance https://amzn.to/2MElpht

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Maybe I missed it in the thread somewhere. What's the intended use of your setup? Run air tools? Air Up Tires only? Shop air? Air suspension?

If all you need to do is air tires up and down and maybe air up an air mattress you don't need a bit fire breathing unit that'll run your shop. Most 12V compressors even the cheap Chinese Wal Mart units will get that done. No need for a tank.

If you need to do that other stuff it's starts to get a bit more complex and your air flow needs increase.

I used to carry a CO2 tank with me all the time (still do but not all the time and I've got a 5lb size and 20 lb size) so I could run air tools and seat beads and all that jazz. Now days I carry a the biggest Viair unit I can still plug into a cigarette lighter plug and it does what I want to do. Air up tires after coming off the trail. And it does it quickly.

trailhunter

Rank III

Traveler I

US
Maybe I missed it in the thread somewhere. What's the intended use of your setup? Run air tools? Air Up Tires only? Shop air? Air suspension?

If all you need to do is air tires up and down and maybe air up an air mattress you don't need a bit fire breathing unit that'll run your shop. Most 12V compressors even the cheap Chinese Wal Mart units will get that done. No need for a tank.

If you need to do that other stuff it's starts to get a bit more complex and your air flow needs increase.

I used to carry a CO2 tank with me all the time (still do but not all the time and I've got a 5lb size and 20 lb size) so I could run air tools and seat beads and all that jazz. Now days I carry a the biggest Viair unit I can still plug into a cigarette lighter plug and it does what I want to do. Air up tires after coming off the trail. And it does it quickly.
Pneumatic tools, tire inflation. Ordered the viair 1 gallon tank, will be installing underneath passenger seat and I'll route copper tubing between the compressor and tank for utmost guarantee no rupture at the lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: Downs