How has the Covid-19 virus affected your adventures?

• HTML tutorial

Troy Carroll

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bakersfield, CA
First Name
Troy
Last Name
Carroll
Member #

We were planning a road trip to Yellowstone and now we are just waiting out the storm. California's Governor put the whole state on "shelter at home" with no "Non-essential Travel". I wonder if they will accept that Adventure is Necessary? lol

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

My first venture out is end of May. Really the only distance run we plan this year, then mostly in our own region. I really don't see us changing any plans as of now. As my daughter says (I overheard her); "Do worry about my parents! They've be social distancing for 20yrs now." As funny as it was to hear, yet to quite an extent true. Since the 2009 H1N1 outbreak we learned some very valuable lessons, as I wished more did and passed along to their children.

I would believe, the most everyone on this forum is much like we are and have a clue how to deal with all this. It's the masses that really don't, haven't learned from past or just don't give a dam.

It will be months before all this passes, yet I do hope some sensible decisions are made as how the government should lead us. I don't even like writing 'should lead us', yet you know that's going to happen.

Be safe my friends!

Reactions: Tommy9610

DSmithJr

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Winter Park, Florida
First Name
Donnie
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Good morning! Point for discussion. I have been bombarded with ads by survival and first aide kit manufacturers. Some of those companies are friends and I want to offer my support, but, by buying, am I interrupting the flow of supplies to where they are needed most given the current circumstances?

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Road This is thought provoking if you have 16 mins to spare.

I have all kinds of time to spare for this sort of thing. I'm an incurable infohound at heart.

Other than her lame attempt at humor with "You really really should not listen to any old person about Covid-19“ at the start (I'll bet anything she read somewhere to "Start your public speaking engagement with a joke to warm up the audience"), what she had to say was thought-provoking, I agree.

I owe you a beer or coffee or two for bringing it to my attention.

I'm not sure if you posted her TedTalk to make a point and justify a position, or because you thought I'd appreciate the information.

She pretty much affirms and agrees with, repeatedly, points I've been making in various forums and groups. It's all info I've been absorbing and sharing for weeks.

That we "we can get better at quarantines and travel restrictions and we should." With a new virus like this one, slowing things down and flattening the curve of initial infections by staying put for now and not contributing to the spread will create less of a sudden spike and burden on health systems, allow supply chains to keep up better and build our reserves of critical items, and allow not only our country but others to build better ways to deal with future outbreaks of this, and other, viruses.

That's how we help build a good global health system that will make outbreaks less serious, that Alanna Shaikh considers "our best option." This outbreak is destined to go down as one of the most serious in human history, and it behooves us all to do what we can now to lessen the initial impact so all systems can handle it better. Then the next outbreak of Covid-19 won't be as serious in impact or numbers, just as with influenza strains with appropriate vaccines, because we will know better what to do, will be better equipped in procedure and product, and more societally able to cope.

Right now, in the US, we sucked at being able to act appropriately and in time when this virus was noticed on the horizon. Flattening the curve of infection now by staying put for the time being and not potentially spreading it will help us all be able to better deal with it in future.

Do you know that the same day Kobe Bryant's death in the chopper crash made headlines, Jan 27 (feels like ancient history now), so did the search for a vaccine for this coronavirus? Most of America did not pay much attention to that article, though it was right next to the photo of Bryant. Though not quite eight weeks ago, less than 2,000 people in China and 5 in the US were confirmed sick. It was the first time I became aware of Dr Anthony Fauci, Director of the US's National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

He indicated then it would take at least three months--with no bureaucratic or regulatory holdups--to get to phase one of just testing the vaccine, not actually putting it into place. Having an actual usable vaccine has since been estimated at 18 months by him and others. The article also says "even if the vaccine is tested rapidly, it might not come in time to slow the outbreak. Public health effects to limit the spread of the virus and treat those who are infected well have a more immediate benefit."

We can do that--limit the initial spread and impact of the virus-- by not going out adventuring for a while. Believe me, I want to as badly as anyone and have my van and trailer ready to go and be gone for months. I believe the more prudent thing for us all to do is help the health system and supporting infrastructure by staying put for now.

bryant-virus.jpg

As for Allana Shaikh's old person joke at the beginning of her talk, like the Ford quote you added to the Words of Wisdom thread says: "The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability." Building a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability most often comes with age.

Building a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability in regards to Covid-19 will only come with time, too, and only if we do not overwhelm the system so badly now that it makes it difficult to recover.

Thanks for bringing the TedTalk to my attention. Good info. Hope to meet you out here somewhere someday around a fire for that beer or coffee.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Last edited:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Good morning! Point for discussion. I have been bombarded with ads by survival and first aide kit manufacturers. Some of those companies are friends and I want to offer my support, but, by buying, am I interrupting the flow of supplies to where they are needed most given the current circumstances?

Interesting question. My first impulse is to think that survival and first aid kit companies have already thought of that. My second impulse is to wonder if some are motivated more by profit and taking advantage of perceived market opportunities than they are flow of supplies to places that need it more.

I'd ask in the forum sub-section for First Aid topics:

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
With social distancing and the stresses it brings, how have you noticed trail density and your adventure quality be affected, and have you had to cancel any adventures because of it?
Since I'm 73 with several other ailments I'm simply staying home until the worst is over. I'd love to go somewhere but if I were to catch that bug I would undoubtedly die from it and I ain't ready to do that.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Since I'm 73 with several other ailments I'm simply staying home until the worst is over. I'd love to go somewhere but if I were to catch that bug I would undoubtedly die from it and I ain't ready to do that.
Laurits, I respect your age and your knowledge! I find myself concerned about how you're looking at this as being any different than any new 'flu'? I'm only 6yrs behind ya and I'm already on a limited exposure, stay clean and distancing stance so I can get to where you are. I'm pretty healthy right now and hope to stay this way for a time to come.
As I say, I'm already practicing 'staying alive', really since the 2009 H1N1 crap. To me, that was a real wake-up call!

Laurits, I wish you only the best! You have a secret or two for us young's, you pass it along!
Stay safe my friend!

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
Laurits, I respect your age and your knowledge! I find myself concerned about how you're looking at this as being any different than any new 'flu'? I'm only 6yrs behind ya and I'm already on a limited exposure, stay clean and distancing stance so I can get to where you are. I'm pretty healthy right now and hope to stay this way for a time to come.
As I say, I'm already practicing 'staying alive', really since the 2009 H1N1 crap. To me, that was a real wake-up call!

Laurits, I wish you only the best! You have a secret or two for us young's, you pass it along!
Stay safe my friend!
I don't have any secrets that'll help. This is a pandemic that can literally wipe humans off the planet. All I can recommend is to take care of your immune system, practice thorough hygiene, avoid people and all those things they keep blabbering about on the news channels. (They always have to have something to get hysterical about) Don't fret, if we die then we die. This might well be one of Mother Nature's little adjustments to the health of the planet ... sorta like she's applying underarm deodorant.

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
Well, since I had to effectively cancel the rally point that I had set up yesterday and I needed to hear some tire noise or go insane, I pointed my Jeep east and headed for the ocean. I was horrified by what I found. Now the roads were not particularly busy but once I got to Hampton N.H. I found that the beach was just as packed as it would have been on any other warmish spring day. People were everywhere, kids running around playing, picnic lunches, kites flying, basically wall to wall people. Heck there was even people riding horses on the beach and people in the maybe 45° water surfing. Too crazy... It felt like a twilight zone episode, I was hoping for solitude, empty beaches. I could not have been more disappointed. I headed north, following US rte 1 the entire coast road of N.H. was pretty much the same story people thousands of people all basking in the 38° sun. I guess I wasn't the only one that was going stir crazy. After making my way up to Nubble Light in York, I decided to head home. I did accomplish a couple things on my trip though, I didn't listen to any "news" all day, and I did get to listen to those mud terrains make some wonderful "noise".

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

I have all kinds of time to spare for this sort of thing. I'm an incurable infohound at heart.

Other than her lame attempt at humor with "You really really should not listen to any old person about Covid-19“ at the start (I'll bet anything she read somewhere to "Start your public speaking engagement with a joke to warm up the audience"), what she had to say was thought-provoking, I agree.

I owe you a beer or coffee or two for bringing it to my attention.

I'm not sure if you posted her TedTalk to make a point and justify a position, or because you thought I'd appreciate the information.

She pretty much affirms and agrees with, repeatedly, points I've been making in various forums and groups. It's all info I've been absorbing and sharing for weeks.

That we "we can get better at quarantines and travel restrictions and we should." With a new virus like this one, slowing things down and flattening the curve of initial infections by staying put for now and not contributing to the spread will create less of a sudden spike and burden on health systems, allow supply chains to keep up better and build our reserves of critical items, and allow not only our country but others to build better ways to deal with future outbreaks of this, and other, viruses.

That's how we help build a good global health system that will make outbreaks less serious, that Alanna Shaikh considers "our best option." This outbreak is destined to go down as one of the most serious in human history, and it behooves us all to do what we can now to lessen the initial impact so all systems can handle it better. Then the next outbreak of Covid-19 won't be as serious in impact or numbers, just as with influenza strains with appropriate vaccines, because we will know better what to do, will be better equipped in procedure and product, and more societally able to cope.

Right now, in the US, we sucked at being able to act appropriately and in time when this virus was noticed on the horizon. Flattening the curve of infection now by staying put for the time being and not potentially spreading it will help us all be able to better deal with it in future.

Do you know that the same day Kobe Bryant's death in the chopper crash made headlines, Jan 27 (feels like ancient history now), so did the search for a vaccine for this coronavirus? Most of America did not pay much attention to that article, though it was right next to the photo of Bryant. Though not quite eight weeks ago, less than 2,000 people in China and 5 in the US were confirmed sick. It was the first time I became aware of Dr Anthony Fauci, Director of the US's National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

He indicated then it would take at least three months--with no bureaucratic or regulatory holdups--to get to phase one of just testing the vaccine, not actually putting it into place. Having an actual usable vaccine has since been estimated at 18 months by him and others. The article also says "even if the vaccine is tested rapidly, it might not come in time to slow the outbreak. Public health effects to limit the spread of the virus and treat those who are infected well have a more immediate benefit."

We can do that--limit the initial spread and impact of the virus-- by not going out adventuring for a while. Believe me, I want to as badly as anyone and have my van and trailer ready to go and be gone for months. I believe the more prudent thing for us all to do is help the health system and supporting infrastructure by staying put for now.

View attachment 145544

As for Allana Shaikh's old person joke at the beginning of her talk, like the Ford quote you added to the Words of Wisdom thread says: "The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability." Building a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability most often comes with age.

Building a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability in regards to Covid-19 will only come with time, too, and only if we do not overwhelm the system so badly now that it makes it difficult to recover.

Thanks for bringing the TedTalk to my attention. Good info. Hope to meet you out here somewhere someday around a fire for that beer or coffee.

Im trying to keep my mouth shut. I do agree totally. You say it much better than I could ever do. Thank you

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Well, since I had to effectively cancel the rally point that I had set up yesterday and I needed to hear some tire noise or go insane, I pointed my Jeep east and headed for the ocean. I was horrified by what I found. Now the roads were not particularly busy but once I got to Hampton N.H. I found that the beach was just as packed as it would have been on any other warmish spring day. People were everywhere, kids running around playing, picnic lunches, kites flying, basically wall to wall people. Heck there was even people riding horses on the beach and people in the maybe 45° water surfing. Too crazy... It felt like a twilight zone episode, I was hoping for solitude, empty beaches. I could not have been more disappointed. I headed north, following US rte 1 the entire coast road of N.H. was pretty much the same story people thousands of people all basking in the 38° sun. I guess I wasn't the only one that was going stir crazy. After making my way up to Nubble Light in York, I decided to head home. I did accomplish a couple things on my trip though, I didn't listen to any "news" all day, and I did get to listen to those mud terrains make some wonderful "noise".

Yeah man, an awful lot of folks needing to get away for a bit who aren't used to staying home, so seek positive vibes and atmosphere but think they might be the only ones out there seeking it. So public places like shorelines end up being a destination. Social distancing still needs to be practiced, though, no matter where folks congregate.

My social life and adventures of late consist of forays into the wilds of the local Hannaford's grocery store in search of the elusive and rare white plastic-wrapped tissue. Then a walk around Back Cove, a sweet 4 mile loop around a saltwater marsh and cove with ducks, cattails, gulls and terns, and joggers, dog-walkers, and baby strollers. All self-distancing six feet or more and often nodding to each other.

Stuck on the coast of Maine in this mess, and knowing Mainahs rather well going back to the late 60's, this is how we're doing it heah in Maine :grinning::

CDC-6ft-Maine.jpg

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
With social distancing and the stresses it brings, how have you noticed trail density and your adventure quality be affected, and have you had to cancel any adventures because of it?
Yesterday my son came in from Colorado and did so under my disapproval. On his way here there was a stretch of road 20 miles long, about 50 miles from me that was lined with city escapees (preppers) . That is when he realized that he had made a misjudgment about his travel. He had not taken this very serious and ignored all advise about travel.

I don't know if the preppers were right or wrong about leaving the city and I don't know if they were an organized group but they were there and out of harms way and causing no trouble. A concern to me was were they land squatting or had they all bought land out there in the open desert for just this sort of emergency. All were camped within 20 miles of the Rio Grande river near Caballo reservoir where they had access to water and within 35 miles from a sizable town. It all looked to be very well thought out.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Cabin fever refers to the distressing claustrophobic irritability or restlessness experienced when a person, or group, is stuck at an isolated location or in confined quarters for an extended period of time.[1] A person may be referred to as stir-crazy,[2] derived from the use of stir to mean 'prison'.[citation needed]

A person may experience cabin fever in a situation such as being isolated within a vacation cottage out in the country, or otherwise isolated from civilisation. During cabin fever, a person may experience sleepiness or sleeplessness, have a distrust of anyone they are with, or have an urge to go outside even in adverse conditions such as poor weather or limited visibility. The concept is also invoked humorously to indicate simple boredom from being home alone for an extended period of time.[3]

Cabin fever is not itself a disease and there is no prognosis. However, related symptoms can lead the sufferer to make irrational decisions that could potentially threaten their life or the life of the group with whom they are confined. Some examples would be suicide or paranoia, or leaving the safety of a cabin during a terrible snow storm that one may be stuck in.

We are a very diverse group of people, us Americans. We'll see how long people play nice for before a few start to get stir crazy......
It won't be me. I love solitude. I'm not a hermit but I'm Damn close when it comes to people.

Reactions: Relic6.3

Rocksylvania

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hatfield, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jason
Last Name
M
Member #

I've definitely decided to change plans. First of all, although I'm in my late 30s, I live with a 78 year old with weight and cardiovascular issues. So if I bring this home, I'm playing Russian Roulette with their life. In order to avoid putting them at risk I am staying home. I cancelled my trip for April. And expect to cancel July and August as well as this continues to unfold. I took FMLA from work, since my employer refuses to take any meaningful measures. If that gets declined, or runs out, I'll be rig stealth camping near work for as long as necessary. I can park and operate camp for 30 days while I isolate at work before food and water become an issue. In the mean time, I've done any food shopping first thing in the morning during weekdays when the store has been sitting overnight. Outerwear and shoes that left home stay outside. And of course handwashing regularly and thoroughly. Presently I've been home for 6 days and left the house twice. Once for groceries and once to see a friend who has been hunkering in place for 2 weeks already. After getting gas or whatever I use hand sanitizer I keep in the passenger door. Before getting back in my side. Hands are clean as possible before touching steering wheel etc. Even when you use plastic you have to touch the keypad and gas nozzle! I wish more people would take this seriously. I'm glad to see some really are. These are not all my steps, but this will be, in one way or another, the new normal.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
They just closed all campgrounds in WA State, what a bunch of toolbags!

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
1111 Washington St. SE, Olympia, WA 98501
Home | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

March 22, 2020

Contacts:

State Parks: Anna Gill, Communications Director (360) 902-8562
WDFW: Rachel Blomker, Communications Manager (360) 701-3101
DNR: Paige DeChambeau, Recreation Communications Manager (360) 790-1886

Washington campgrounds to close through April 30
Day use areas and trails remain open

OLYMPIA – Today, the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission (Parks), Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), and the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) announced the closure of all state campgrounds across Washington to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. Campgrounds will remain closed through April 30.

The closure includes roofed accommodations like cabins and yurts.

No new campers will be allowed into Parks, WDFW, or DNR lands beginning Monday, March 23. Current campers will be phased out following instructions from land officials.

Day use areas and trails remain open. Due to the volume of people visiting Washington's ocean beaches, we are asking the public to avoid those areas. People should continue to practice social distancing when recreating outdoors.

State Parks
Campers who have state parks reservations through April 30 will be notified and offered a full refund. Visitors can find the latest information about State Park operations at parks.state.wa.us/COVID19.

Department of Fish and Wildlife
Although camping is not allowed, WDFW wildlife areas and water access areas remain open for public use at this time. However, due to theft and increased usage of their restrooms, visitors should plan to bring their own hand sanitizer and toilet paper. For the latest information about WDFW operations, visit wdfw.wa.gov/about/covid-19-updates .

Department of Natural Resources
DNR's camping will be closed to dedicated camping areas and dispersed camping or camping outside of designated camp sites. For the most up-to-date information for DNR lands, visit dnr.wa.gov/recreation.

I WANT MY G-D..N TAX MONEY BACK!