Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
No offense intended but I find that some of these mounting methods create big air dams that kill MPG. I try to stay as streamlined as possible, which also helps with security.
What brand/size of traction boards are those?

I have the Diamondback on my Colorado as well and have been wondering if some boards would fit there. I don't want to put them on the outside due to sun damage... theft... and they would hinder me being able to fold the top back over on itself.

For instance the other day I filled the back half of the bed with potted fruit trees from the local big box store. I quickly popped off the gas struts and folded the top over towards the front and secured with a ratchet strap. That way the 6ft tall trees could just stand tall and the cover was not in the way at all. I do the same every time I get long boards for projects.

Only downside is if they get muddy. However, It is a truck bed and can be hosed out. I will have all my camping gear in containers inside the bed.

Reactions: HUMΛN

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

How are you guys carrying your recovery boards? I need to move my maxtrax from inside my truck to outside, and can't decide on either a roof rack mounting system? Or a the spare tire mount. I like the spare tire mount, and have a Wilco tire carrier, but not sure how secure they are that way, plus I will have my Trasharoo mounted on there, so not sure how much of a pain the butt would make it. Another option I am considering is running them at an angle across the front of my roof rack, so they kind of act like a fairing on my roof rack, using these clamps Recovery Board Mounting Clamps. I'm not sold on this yet, and not really sure how well these would last in a position like that.
I'm not sure this will work on your rack, but this is a solution we came up with to mount ours up there.

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

lift kits, tires and lockers will get you further than maxtrax. nice jeep.
I think the beauty of recovery boards is they’re $60. I’ve wanted lockers for 30 years but at about $1,000 that’s a whole different ballgame. I’d put tires & X-Bulls as the 2 first things to get. Even a lift is a luxury that you might not need with good line selection. These recovery boards are cheap insurance. I think the under $100 versions are possibly the most significant advancement I’ve seen in 3 decades of offroading.

harley97

Rank III

Advocate I

Sun City, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Hinton
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DKV
Service Branch
USCG
IMHO, these are another one of those trendy items. In more instances than not, I have seen people attempt to recover themselves with traction boards unsuccessfully. It seems that they give people a false sense of security. Now, I am not saying they are a bad thing, in certain instances they do work well. But, they are not a substitute for lockers, winches, jacks, other recovery gear etc. I am kind of minimalist when I wheel and these seem like a trendy and mostly unnecessary addition.

Recently had a friend in a Ford Raptor stuck in sand. After spending over half an hour with the traction boards attempting to self recover, he accepted my offer to pull him out.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
How are you guys carrying your recovery boards? I need to move my maxtrax from inside my truck to outside, and can't decide on either a roof rack mounting system? Or a the spare tire mount. I like the spare tire mount, and have a Wilco tire carrier, but not sure how secure they are that way, plus I will have my Trasharoo mounted on there, so not sure how much of a pain the butt would make it. Another option I am considering is running them at an angle across the front of my roof rack, so they kind of act like a fairing on my roof rack, using these clamps Recovery Board Mounting Clamps. I'm not sold on this yet, and not really sure how well these would last in a position like that.
Here is how I dealt with it with my spare Wilco and a trasheroo. I just put two ratchet straps on them and a motorcycle locking cable.

Swing out9.jpeg

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I made some racks of my own from channel strut, for both sides of the bed, to hold high lift, power tank, shovel etc. Its a work in progress...
You most likely know this but. I will say it for the benefit of those who do not know...
When a CO2 tank is mounted on it's side you need to remove it and stand it up right before you fill your tires. The reason is CO2 is a liquid when on it's side it is possible to push liquid CO2 into your lines and tires. In your air lines it can cause the lines to freeze and crack or even rupture. If you pump liquid CO2 into tires as the liquid turns to gas it will keep raising the tire pressure and may also cause the tire to rupture or even explode after you start driving down the road. As CO2 vaporizes and heats up the pressure can go into the thousands of pounds. If enough liquid was pumped into your tire this could ba a problem. Although this is not likely it is possible. I found out after filling my tires when the tank was mounted inside laying down the line cracked and started leaking fortunately I did not damage a tire. Mine is mounted standing up now.

Last edited:

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I'm currently building a rack for my Jeep XJ. It will be mainly for carrying 2 kayaks but when it's not it could be used for a couple of Pelican-like boxes with recovery boards in between. It was freezing out when I took this pic and I was in such a rush that I didn't even notice that I put one box on upside down. :grinning:

20-03-18 4.JPG

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

The rack on my truck is home made so I drilled a couple holes on the cross bar and put in a carriage bolt. Since my rack is shorter the boards kind of rest on the sidewall of the bed while being firmly mounted to the rack, less strain on the holding bolt. I drilled a small hole in one of the bolts on each side for a small lock to keep everything secured.

I don't keep the boards mounted all the time to help protect them from sun damage; day to day they ride in their carry bags in the bed of the truck. I figure once I use them and they are trashed I will mount them till I get home again to clean everything; then they will go back in their carry bags till next time.
IMG_0229.jpg

Reactions: Desert Runner

KB Voodoo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Olean, NY
I keep them on my 14" Max Modular ALUMAX rack with Traction Board Brackets.

bigearlmsp

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Blaine, Minnesota, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Menard
Member #

The rack on my truck is home made so I drilled a couple holes on the cross bar and put in a carriage bolt. Since my rack is shorter the boards kind of rest on the sidewall of the bed while being firmly mounted to the rack, less strain on the holding bolt. I drilled a small hole in one of the bolts on each side for a small lock to keep everything secured.

I don't keep the boards mounted all the time to help protect them from sun damage; day to day they ride in their carry bags in the bed of the truck. I figure once I use them and they are trashed I will mount them till I get home again to clean everything; then they will go back in their carry bags till next time.
View attachment 145807
Are the boards only mounted at the top mounting points?

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

Are the boards only mounted at the top mounting points?
Yes, they are mounted at the top set of holes in the boards, and like I mentioned, since my rack is shorter, the bottom of the boards rest on the side of the truck bed. I haven't ridden anywhere with them mounted yet so no idea of wear and tear on the bolts or boards. Also as I mentioned, they will not ride there under normal day to day operation, until needed they will remain in their storage bags under the storage deck in the bed with the rest of my recovery gear.