• HTML tutorial

How critical is it to have a 4WD vehicle

GRIMGPR

Rank 0

Contributor I

No worries it's about the spirit of adventure and it seems you have 43 years of that. :) As many others have said be prepared know your limits and your vehicles and all should be well with those you meet. And as my father used to say " experience is what matters most" I would say you have plenty to share my friend.
Cheers

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

• Add bookmark
  • So, I’m sure folks hate Newbie questions, so I’m a bit reluctant to post this one targeted at the experienced Overlanders.

How important is it to have a 4WD vehicle to participate in “most” gatherings and community get togethers?

I ask because I have lived in the desert for the past 43 years and have never “Needed” 4WD. All of the vehicles that I’ve used are “high clearance” and although there have been times when 4WD would have reduced my anxiety level a few levels, I was able to make due with my 2WD vehicle.

Now that I’ve joined this community, I plan to participate and the last thing I want to do is have other members look at me and think “he’s crazy for driving that out here”.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions...
  • Hope you don't shoot us down before we comment.
  • This is OB community and we don't care what you drive.
  • If you have 43 years in the desert you have answered your own question.
  • You are only a newbe to the OB , not off roading.
  • There are over 20,00 members in OB, I don't think there are any statistics as to how many own 4x4's or 2wx4'S.
  • Do you feel your rig is insufficient, that is the only reason I can think for asking the question you have posed.
  • 4x4 v 2x4 is your choice. Do you go alone, have at it, you jeopardize no one but yourself. Do you have a family with you ? Do you go in Groups ? A wise man goes into the boonies prepared for the conditions he will face. Be a wise man !

FJRpilot

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

• Hope you don't shoot us down before we comment.
  • This is OB community and we don't care what you drive.
  • If you have 43 years in the desert you have answered your own question.
  • You are only a newbe to the OB , not off roading.
  • There are over 20,00 members in OB, I don't think there are any statistics as to how many own 4x4's or 2wx4'S.
  • Do you feel your rig is insufficient, that is the only reason I can think for asking the question you have posed.
  • 4x4 v 2x4 is your choice. Do you go alone, have at it, you jeopardize no one but yourself. Do you have a family with you ? Do you go in Groups ? A wise man goes into the boonies prepared for the conditions he will face. Be a wise man !
Thanks for everyone’s response.

I drive a 2001 F250 Powerstroke with a 7.3 (250,000+). The vehicle is sufficient for what I typically use it for (including exploring a significant amount of the Gila (including around Mimbra’s NM). Spending the majority of my time in West Texas, NM, AZ, CA. I am able to get to the vast Majority of the places I have been inclined to visit.

That being said, I have Joined the OB community to be exposed to new adventures, meet people that share my spirit of adventure and travel to new places and learn from the many experiences that everyone has been gracious enough to share (never to old for that).

I try to be wise, but alas, I’ve committed my share of “that wasn’t the smartest thing I’ve ever done” activities. But I try to learn from my mistakes. I’ve traveled the desert in vehicles as diverse as a 68 VW Bus (It was my Dads and I wish I still had it), to a Dodge Colt (i learned how to get “unstuck” with this gem) , and many other vehicles, none of which were designed for “off roading”.

I’m learning a lot from reading the vast wealth of knowledge posted by this community. But I truly appreciate the opinions that have been shared and I’m planning modifications to my Truck based on the suggestions offered.

Noble Savage

Rank V

Enthusiast III

2WD works great for most applications. Some background, I live in Florida where its either swamp land, low land. or parries so having something that is versatile is needed most of the year if you live in an area with mostly dirt roads. I drove a 02 Explorer Sport for years and did a good amount of offloading in it with no issues. The only time I wished I had a 4WD was during hurricane season when conditions are not the best on both paved and unpaved roadways. The main thing is as long as your driving safe and having a good time anything will work great.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

2WD works great for most applications. Some background, I live in Florida where its either swamp land, low land. or parries so having something that is versatile is needed most of the year if you live in an area with mostly dirt roads. I drove a 02 Explorer Sport for years and did a good amount of offloading in it with no issues. The only time I wished I had a 4WD was during hurricane season when conditions are not the best on both paved and unpaved roadways. The main thing is as long as your driving safe and having a good time anything will work great.
I'd rather have a four wheel drive and not need it than have a two wheel drive and need four wheel drive. I've been many places in a two wheel drive but I've been many places that I couldn't go because I didn't have four wheel drive. The name of the game is adventure. If you can achieve that in a two wheel drive, then just do it. My adventures require 4wd @ some point !

Noble Savage

Rank V

Enthusiast III

I'd rather have a four wheel drive and not need it than have a two wheel drive and need four wheel drive. I've been many places in a two wheel drive but I've been many places that I couldn't go because I didn't have four wheel drive. The name of the game is adventure. If you can achieve that in a two wheel drive, then just do it. My adventures require 4wd @ some point !
I totally agree at rather than having 4WD vs 2WD nowadays since I've moved into a more rural area. For me it's a daily need to have it just because I never know what the conditions will be during wet season and now hurricane season since its here now for me. That's the main reason why I upgraded to 4WD recently but my choice was for more ease pf living. It is an added bonus when its time to have fun!

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

2wd and newb answer rolled into one:

I did 3/4 of the rally trail run up Bald Mountain inadvertently IN 2wd because I did not know that I had not properly engaged my 4wd.

(After spinning tires I realized that the 4wd icon was blinking and it wasn’t engaged, got it right, had a great trip, and in the last 4 years now am much more capable between the ears thanks to OB members, experience, and this forum)

My thought is in 2wd you need to use more momentum to get over an obstacle, which coupled with bouncing, clearance, etc causes broken parts. Get some traction pads and head out!

kbudd93

Rank 0

Traveler I

So, I’m sure folks hate Newbie questions, so I’m a bit reluctant to post this one targeted at the experienced Overlanders.

How important is it to have a 4WD vehicle to participate in “most” gatherings and community get togethers?

I ask because I have lived in the desert for the past 43 years and have never “Needed” 4WD. All of the vehicles that I’ve used are “high clearance” and although there have been times when 4WD would have reduced my anxiety level a few levels, I was able to make due with my 2WD vehicle.

Now that I’ve joined this community, I plan to participate and the last thing I want to do is have other members look at me and think “he’s crazy for driving that out here”.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions...

Far from essential but it is very nice, I went through a stage of using my Volvo XC90 and the angle gear sensor gave up the ghost and my Haldex pump couldn't determine when there was wheel slippage so the rear differential was disengaged for about 2 years and during that time I had some of my best adventures and most fun in a vehicle, I found a good set of Cooper discoverer AT3 tyres made is hookup and go anywhere

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Here is a requirement memo from NM4wheeler showing required equipment for various trails if you want to participate, these are the rules you must abide by. As you can read, 2WD vehicle would almost be completely be eliminated from a great deal of their events. I favor rules like these as a guideline for the various types of trail rigs.