Hiker Trailer - anyone have experience with them? (Now Buildout)

• HTML tutorial

flmike911

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Florida
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heagy
Member #

Just picked ours up 2 days ago up in Indy. It is a 5 X 9. I ordered it last June. Wes and the guys did a great job. It towed great behind the Jeep. Going up some of the steeper hills on the way back to Florida was a little bit of a challenge. I'm going to have to regear the Jeep if I want to head to the mountains with it. Now comes the fun part, buying all the accessories.
Hiker.jpg

Reactions: sully3 and yak51

juniorman

Rank 0

Contributor I

jackson wy
First Name
jan
Last Name
smertle
Just picked ours up 2 days ago up in Indy. It is a 5 X 9. I ordered it last June. Wes and the guys did a great job. It towed great behind the Jeep. Going up some of the steeper hills on the way back to Florida was a little bit of a challenge. I'm going to have to regear the Jeep if I want to head to the mountains with it. Now comes the fun part, buying all the accessories.
View attachment 106506
Great looking Trailer. So the build time was one month? Or did you mean one year?

Reactions: caver6

flmike911

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Florida
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heagy
Member #

Great looking Trailer. So the build time was one month? Or did you mean one year?
I ordered it in June of 18 and picked up Jul 2 of 19. The build itself took about a month and a half. Wes said the frames for the EOR's take longer at the welder then the regular frames. I gotta say, that thing is pretty beefy. The box was ready in about a week, just had to wait on frame. The big wait was just waiting for my build to get to the top of the order pile. Wes said if the welder could have gotten the frame sooner, I could have taken delivery probably the first part of May. Either way, it well worth the wait.

juniorman

Rank 0

Contributor I

jackson wy
First Name
jan
Last Name
smertle
I ordered it in June of 18 and picked up Jul 2 of 19. The build itself took about a month and a half. Wes said the frames for the EOR's take longer at the welder then the regular frames. I gotta say, that thing is pretty beefy. The box was ready in about a week, just had to wait on frame. The big wait was just waiting for my build to get to the top of the order pile. Wes said if the welder could have gotten the frame sooner, I could have taken delivery probably the first part of May. Either way, it well worth the wait.
I'm confused. Are they ready 45 days after you order? You picked it up 13 months after your order but you could have picked it up 11 months after your order in May.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I'm confused. Are they ready 45 days after you order? You picked it up 13 months after your order but you could have picked it up 11 months after your order in May.
Wait time is typically a year or so I have heard from many sources.

• Wow
Reactions: Sparksalot

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Thank you. I assume you drive to them to pick it up?
I don't own one but typically yes. They may ship but that can get expensive. Just based on inquiries I have had with other manufacturers. But there are pick-up locations in AZ, Denver, IN and maybe elsewhere. Give them a call and get current info.

flmike911

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Florida
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heagy
Member #

OK. The trailers take about a month to a month and a half to build depending on whether all the pieces are there at the factory. When I ordered mine in June of last year, I was number 40 on the production list. That's 39 builds ahead of me. Wes has 2 other guys that work with him. Figure they can do 3, maybe 4 trailers a month. That number also depends on whether they have all the parts for assembly, whether the welder is keeping up, and then how long it takes to get the frame powder coated. Wes and one of the other guys also aren't there full time. I was told roughly a year for delivery when I ordered mine. Had the frame been done it could have been completed about a month early, but it took the welder longer than expected. Hope this clears that up a bit. On a side note, Hiker west has more people working there, so they can build a little faster than Hiker east.

hansmatt

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Wisconsin
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hanson
I know this is a dated thread, but did HT put in your upgraded suspension, and is it sufficient compared to the upgraded air bag links for general overloading, but not heavy off roading?

hansmatt

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Wisconsin
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hanson
OK. The trailers take about a month to a month and a half to build depending on whether all the pieces are there at the factory. When I ordered mine in June of last year, I was number 40 on the production list. That's 39 builds ahead of me. Wes has 2 other guys that work with him. Figure they can do 3, maybe 4 trailers a month. That number also depends on whether they have all the parts for assembly, whether the welder is keeping up, and then how long it takes to get the frame powder coated. Wes and one of the other guys also aren't there full time. I was told roughly a year for delivery when I ordered mine. Had the frame been done it could have been completed about a month early, but it took the welder longer than expected. Hope this clears that up a bit. On a side note, Hiker west has more people working there, so they can build a little faster than Hiker east.
Sounds like West is about 12 months out for the offroad models

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I get the impression they are inexpensive because they use simple, basic, bulletproof components rather than things like fancy custom fabricated suspension components.

Lead Dog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lake Havasu City, Arizona, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Clary
Member #

I get the impression they are inexpensive because they use simple, basic, bulletproof components rather than things like fancy custom fabricated suspension components.
That is the idea of the Hiker Trailer! Simple, Well Built and Easy get away! Our Suspension design works very well on the Extreme Off Road and if opted with the Air Bag Design it will ride and function a step above expectations! Our Mid Range trailer suspension will match most of what everyone calls Off Road. We are a year out on deliveries, but we have been tirelessly working on increasing production to speed that up! When your the best built budget friendly Teardrop in the market that will happen! Call for your questions and get your orders in soon! LD Motorsports

hansmatt

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Wisconsin
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hanson
Are lead times for both build locations similar? Are there any benefits/options that each location offers compared to the other?

Lead Dog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Randy
Last Name
Clary
Member #

Lead Times are pretty close across the board! I'd suggest ordering accordingly West (Ld Motorsports)/ Central(Denver) & East Coast (Indiana) we'll all take care of you ! I will be handling More of Denvers sells soon ! I'm more of the Off Road Guy though!

fugi

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
Do you guys have pictures of the basic deluxe 5x8 off-road model with the default package? I'm looking through the pictures on the site but I can't tell which is which. What are the costs to replace the standard hubs with Toyota? For the water tank, is it pressurized for showers? How much does it cost to ship? I'm in CA.

tundra21

Rank V

Advocate III

Riverside County, California, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stein
Member #

New to the forum, but I own a Hiker 5x8 Off-Road and traveled the NE, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Rockies, Canadian Rockies, BC and the PNW for 5 months last year with it. Had some hiccups with the axel early on, but Rob, Wesley and Randy at Hiker helped resolve the issue. (They neglected to remove the alignment wedge which caused the axel to kickback and rub on the fender support, but once removed ran without a problem.) Couldn't ask for a more affordable, customizable and capable trailer. Last I knew they working on a airbag option which would be pretty sweet.

I'm sure you'll really enjoy it, my wife and I love ours.

View attachment 18252
Tks you have helped me a lot to make a decision

Lead Dog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Randy
Last Name
Clary
Member #

Do you guys have pictures of the basic deluxe 5x8 off-road model with the default package? I'm looking through the pictures on the site but I can't tell which is which. What are the costs to replace the standard hubs with Toyota? For the water tank, is it pressurized for showers? How much does it cost to ship? I'm in CA.
I'm located in Lake Havasu and can definitely answer all your questions! I'll be at the shop @11 call me if you have time!
Www.leaddogmotorsports.com