Hiker Trailer - anyone have experience with them? (Now Buildout)

• HTML tutorial

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
The water purifier is interesting. If I understand your setup correctly, it pulls from the water tank, right? Because of contamination I'm thinking you wouldn't put river water in there, right? So it's just for potable "hose water"?
No those are designed to pull water from any source and then fill the tank. So river water, lake, pond, whatever can be the source. They are not cheap. They run around $750.00. For potable water there are plenty of cheap screw on filters which you put on the end of a hose.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I definitely account for a couple dozen of the views. heheh. iI agree with W4P -- Hiker Trailer should be using your build to inspire others.

Can someone point a noob to the right forum to ask a question about financing?
Turtleback trailers uses this bank. Rates can be very low. Hiker Trailer recommends a place called Springleaf. It's right on their website.

https://www.midfirst.com/personal/loans/auto-boat-rv-and-motorcycle-loans

I'm sure there are plenty of other options for RV/trailer financing

First State Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Delaware
Member #

The water purifier is interesting. If I understand your setup correctly, it pulls from the water tank, right? Because of contamination I'm thinking you wouldn't put river water in there, right? So it's just for potable "hose water"?
As 1Lounder said above, the purifier pulls water from an outside source which can be virtually anything freshwater. So I can back up to a river, lake, or stream and drop a line in the water. It pumps water from the source through two sediment filters and then a UV filter to kill organic parasites, and then it dumps it into the holding tank. Then water is pumped as normal through the spray port on the trailer. It's setup to be removable so that I can pump into other containers instead of the on board tank too. So I can fill jerry cans or water bottles. All that said, it's certainly not going to perform miracles and restore contaminated water or remove harmful chemicals, so you need to be smart about choosing your source.

First State Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Delaware
Member #

Love the idea of the Shadow Awn. If you were to do it over, would you use the same roof rack?
The Shadow Awn is hands down the best awning I've ever used. I would go with almost the same setup, but I think I overbuilt the extra braces. Doing it over again, I feel like some stronger hardware and drilling new holes in the Awn frame bolting directly two the Awn Lock brackets would work fine.

Todd Keener

Rank 0

Traveler I

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Thanks 1Louder. I've already talked to Springleaf, but what they presented seemed limited. Not sure if that's normal for a trailer or what so looking into others.
I would check out MidFirst then.

sully3

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Purdy, MO
First Name
jeff
Last Name
sullivan
Member #

At 6'5" do you find the 5x8 to be roomy enough to comfortably sleep in? I'm 6'2" and am considering a 5x8.
I have a 5x8 I'm 6'1'' I sleep pretty comfortably but I don't sleep straight legged either, so in my opinion you should do fine.. If your still not sure I'm sure there is someone close to you that would let you see, or get ahold of Rob at hiker trailer in Denver and take a road trip and check them out, you wont be disappointed..

Reactions: jc_924

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

You might be able to get away with a galley side slideout in. Tembo Tusk makes them. Option 2, and probably the cheapest is tongue box. Just get a top opener large enough to give you access to controls. But my own personal preference if you're only running one fridge/freezer has always been in the tow vehicle. Even when I'm not camping or exploring, it's just nice to have to do simple things like keep groceries frozen and not have to worry about running home right away. Or maybe you're going to a sporting event and you pop open the tailgate and have instant refreshments. Or you make camp, detach the trailer and drive trails all day, you don't need to worry about bringing a cooler. I've also used it for storage of pretty odd things. Once I bought a floral arrangement and didn't have anyone to hold it and keep it from spilling. So popped open the fridge, vase and all down in there (the ARB has a removable lid) and what little water did spill was all contained by the fridge. I don't know your setup, but with a 4Runner, I'd put a retractable, tilting slider by AluCab in there and be done. It's pricey but it's sturdy and awesome. (Why is overlanding SO expensive?!?!)
Expensive, heck yes, it's the new dog on the block, has taken camping to a whole new level, and the big dogs are loving us spending mega bucks on their product to make better, worst case use the KISS technique Keep it Simple, Safe

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: Michael Houston

First State Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Delaware
Member #

At 6'5" do you find the 5x8 to be roomy enough to comfortably sleep in? I'm 6'2" and am considering a 5x8.
I sleep fine in mine at 6'5", but occasionally you want to stretch and then go back to sleep, so I do a diagonal stretch thing. At 15 feet, the 5x8 is as long as I wanted to go for maneuverability and weight.

Todd Keener

Rank 0

Traveler I

It took some doing, but I finally placed my order today. Rob in Denver has been beyond patient with me. I wonder if most people ask as many questions as I have. Not trying to be difficult, just want to understand every inch -- especially since I will be doing the DIY version. Can't tell you how thrilled I am that Rob is just down the street. And some of the nicest people I've ever worked with. Big fan and I don't even have a trailer yet.

Can't wait to see the Facebook page and start planning deeper modifications!

Brian Lee

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Denver, CO
Member #

Glad I found this thread.
Thank you all for good info on Hiker Trailer.
I'm also in Denver area and I'm visiting them tomorrow to take a look at their models.

caver6

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

North Florida
First Name
Celia
Last Name
Evesque
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
Woo Hoo!! I just placed my order with Wes at the Indiana location (was closer than CO for me) and I am so excited. Love all the info on this thread and everything I have found on this site so far.

Thank you for the inspiration and all the cool mod ideas.

I am so looking forward to camping with the new toy!! (yes, I am a noob....)

-Celia

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Welcome to the Hiker family @caver6! Now that you have ordered, join us on the Hiker Owners Facebook Group

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk