Hi-Lift: How many people NOT running them?

• HTML tutorial

Are you running a Hi-Lift?

• Yes

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • No

Votes: 72 52.6%
  • Yes but all for looks and/or extra piece of mind

Votes: 7 5.1%

• Total voters

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

I have one on the back of my Wilco and I used it ONCE to change a tire in the parking lot where I work. I did have a normal floor jack available but I wanted the practice. Even with the stabilizing pad and an adapter that goes on the hi-lift and wraps around the bottom of the round tubing on my sliders it still seemed very wobbly. So I bought one of these after going thru another thread about hi-lifts.

So now I'm thinking of taking the hi-lift off my Wilco all together and mounting my Waterport in it's place. I'm planning to carry the bottle jack with me 100% of the time, but I know how it goes...the minute I take the hi-lift off I'll need it for something. I can't imagine what since I have a winch, Deadman, shovels, etc. Do need a good snatch block tho. I'm thinking Warn or ARB.

Anyway...how many people on here NOT running a Hi-Lift at all or never have?

anotherJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Birmingham, Alabama
First Name
Cullen
Last Name
S
Member #

Never owned one, I have however used someone else's on my old truck and it scared the hell outta me. I guess with practice and proper instruction it can be a valuable tool like anything else. I am sticking with a bottle jack.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

I have 2.. 1 is 20+years old, the other was a win from a door prize a year ago. That said, Neither has ever been used.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I have the 60" Hi-Lift and it's seen some good use. The Off Road Base is not designed to act as a "stabilizer". It's job is to further spread the load on soft ground and help prevent the Hi-Lift from sinking. An added bonus is that you get about 3 more inches of lifting capacity with it too.

The jack does require you do spend some time getting familiar with how it works, and have an understanding that it is inherently unstable. It is a dangerous tool if you don't know what you're doing and commands a lot of respect. However with proper training, it can be one of the most versatile pieces of kit you carry.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I have one on the back of my Wilco and I used it ONCE to change a tire in the parking lot where I work. I did have a normal floor jack available but I wanted the practice. Even with the stabilizing pad and an adapter that goes on the hi-lift and wraps around the bottom of the round tubing on my sliders it still seemed very wobbly. So I bought one of these after going thru another thread about hi-lifts.

So now I'm thinking of taking the hi-lift off my Wilco all together and mounting my Waterport in it's place. I'm planning to carry the bottle jack with me 100% of the time, but I know how it goes...the minute I take the hi-lift off I'll need it for something. I can't imagine what since I have a winch, Deadman, shovels, etc. Do need a good snatch block tho. I'm thinking Warn or ARB.

Anyway...how many people on here NOT running a Hi-Lift at all or never have?
I have one only because I bought it from the same man who sold me my RTT, though only to resell because so many people do want one. Still has the cardboard marketing around it. I may buy another one too, however, of a different size, to keep for the van, to help others if needed, and to use in workshops so people know how to use them safely.

In general, though, I think an awful lot of guys get one because they're not very expensive and they think it'll look cool hanging off their rig, as if to say "yeah, I'm an overlander and got the gear, baby!" So, now a lot of them can be bought cheap when guys figure out they don't use them or don't like using them.

BTW - your "bought one of these" pic or vid is not showing for me, whether I'm on my laptop or on my cell using OB Talk. Seems to be happening more on this site.

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

I have one only because I bought it from the same man who sold me my RTT, though only to resell because so many people do want one. Still has the cardboard marketing around it. I may buy another one too, however, of a different size, to keep for the van, to help others if needed, and to use in workshops so people know how to use them safely.

In general, though, I think an awful lot of guys get one because they're not very expensive and they think it'll look cool hanging off their rig, as if to say "yeah, I'm an overlander and got the gear, baby!" So, now a lot of them can be bought cheap when guys figure out they don't use them or don't like using them.

BTW - your "bought one of these" pic or vid is not showing for me, whether I'm on my laptop or on my cell using OB Talk. Seems to be happening more on this site.
Yeah...not sure why the link isnt showing. But it's a Powerbuilt Bottle Jack with built in jack stand. As for the Hi-Lift mine came in a package deal with my Wilco. And I get the "looks cool" factor but I dont cruise around with all my gear on my car. And...it has never been used besides the one time I used it to practice since I've heard so many horror stories. My thing is that it's taking up valuable space for something I know I would use more. Decisions decisions.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Graeman and Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

. . . My thing is that it's taking up valuable space for something I know I would use more. Decisions decisions.
Sounds like you've already made your decision based on space needs and rarely used. I'd go with what you're more comfortable with and sell the hi-lift or gift it to someone who's been wanting one.

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

Sounds like you've already made your decision based on space needs and rarely used. I'd go with what you're more comfortable with and sell the hi-lift or gift it to someone who's been wanting one.
Haha...kind of. Sometimes I need a little pushing. But gifting, nah, will have to sell it to help recoup some of the other costs.

Now if I had a trailer then it might be a different story. But that's not happening...or at least any time soon.

Reactions: Road

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
The Hi Lift Jack is a very versatile tool and that being said if you don't understand its versatility then you probably shouldn't cary one.
The Sierra Foothills Overlanders put on jacking and tire repair clinic that Bob Wohlers instructed and at the end of the weekend all that attended understood why they needed a High Lift Jack plus several other types of jacks.
So if you don't think you need one don't get one, but if your on the fence check out the Jack articles in OutdoorX4 you will get a good understanding of what the High Lift can do to be an aid in not only jacking but recovery.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

It is a direct Amazon link. It shows up as if it were viewed on a Mobile device. I couldn't see them for the longest time, either, until someone suggested I might have an ad-blocker on my browser. Sure enough, excluding Overland Bound let the Amazon links show.

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

The Hi Lift Jack is a very versatile tool and that being said if you don't understand its versatility then you probably shouldn't cary one.
The Sierra Foothills Overlanders put on jacking and tire repair clinic that Bob Wohlers instructed and at the end of the weekend all that attended understood why they needed a High Lift Jack plus several other types of jacks.
So if you don't think you need one don't get one, but if your on the fence check out the Jack articles in OutdoorX4 you will get a good understanding of what the High Lift can do to be an aid in not only jacking but recovery.
Well...I already have one. Would definitely be interested in making the trek up if they put on another clinic like that. Sounds like great knowledge to have. Plus get to meet people instead of looking everything up on You Tube.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

It is a direct Amazon link. It shows up as if it were viewed on a Mobile device. I couldn't see them for the longest time, either, until someone suggested I might have an ad-blocker on my browser. Sure enough, excluding Overland Bound let the Amazon links show.
Good to know, man. . . I've had ad-blockers for so long I forget what it's like to browse with ads and pop-ups, and forget it may be inadvertantly blocking some things I want to see. Thanks for the heads up. One of these days I'll stop in the Cleveland area when I go through and buy you a coffee or a beer somewhere. Used to live within spitting distance of the lake when I was a kid, just west of E 140th.

Reactions: Steve

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
The last time I used my high lift was to re-level a deck. I carried it on wheeling trips for about 8 years, but have left it at home for the last 10 years or so. It is heavy and takes up a good amount of space, and I've only had one instance where a high lift was the "best" option in a recovery situation.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I have owned them before but hate them. I do not own one now, nor will I ever. Imho they are an ancient technology that really does no good anymore. There are easoer, safer ways to change a tire offroad.. Or any situation..

Reactions: SAC-CA-Runner

overlandford

Rank 0

Traveler I

A High Lift is a Jack but I wouldn't ever use it to change a tire unless I was in a real bind. There's just no good way of doing it.

That being said they are good as winches but that requires you to carry more straps or chains as you can't use any type of kinetic or stretchy rope/strap as they will just stretch when you pull on them. In my experience with a snatch strap and 48" high lift I got about 6"-8" of pull. Another good use I found for them is lifting a wheels straight up so you can get some type of traction underneath the tire (logs, sticks, rock, dirt, sand ladder or the like). I've also used it to move the whole rear of a jeep YJ over a few feet. Though I wouldn't recommend jacking something up and then pushing it over, it will work though...

You can change a tire but lifting a car by the body to change a tire requires an unnecessary amount of lift and it feels very unstable. I feel there loosing there place in off-roading especially since you can buy an 8k winch for less than $300 these days, but there's still uses for them.

Reactions: Graeman

drrobinson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evergreen, CO, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0DRR
When we still had our Adventure Trailer I kept a Hi-Lift on the trailer. Now that we are no longer dragging a trailer I’ve been leaving the Hi-Lift at home. To much weight for the very unlikely event I will have no other recovery options. Never used it, but we don’t “wheel” we overland travel/explore. I’m more likely to avoid obstacles that have the potential to get me that stuck.

At this point I think it will get more use around the property than on my rig.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I’ve got on on my front bumper. It’s out of the way and doesn’t take up any space that might be used for anything else. I haven’t needed to use it yet but the same goes for other “just in case” gear that I carry. It’s just more insurance.