Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
Some questions for those of you who have HF mobile.

How often do you actually use HF while the vehicle is in motion?
What advantage do you see to mobile HF vs portable HF like in my case, the Elecraft XK3?

I ask because I have several wire antenna setups that are easy to deploy. My think is is that I'm unlikely to use HF while driving, but I'll always have it for when I get to camp, or the top of the trail.

CUCVDRIVER

Rank 0

Contributor II

Is that a work thing or just for fun? I suppose I should have asked, how useful is HF for overlanding? I can certainly see the value as a tool when you're out of range of repeaters and cells phones.
It's just fun thing (Amateur Radio) I use it outlanding when I don't have repeater's and out of VHF/UHF range. I can Also talk back home to the wife when no cell range or to someone else if I need help or an emergency.

Reactions: Vincent Keith

markwths

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wodonga, Australia
Member #

I use HF (IC7100) radio on all our trips. Mainly on 14.116 mhz for the Australian travelers net.
14.116 MHz is manned from 0200 UTC daily for check ins. Call Back Time is 0300 UTC.
Also 21.185 MHz as a fall back its manned from 0400 UTC daily for check ins Call Back Time is 0500 UTC .
A fun thing and to catch up with other Hams friends tripping around.

2 metres (VHF) on 146.600 for vehicle to vehicle comms.

Not to sure how a KX 3 will work mobile with electronic interference from the engine etc. They have a quite a good receiver in them and my not have many options to suppress the interference.

Mark
VK3ASC

Last edited:

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I spend about 2 hours a day driving to/from work so it is a good time to work a little HF. When I am at home it's family time not radio time.
I have been known to check DX spots while at work and step outside to work a little DX. In fact about 98% of the DX I have worked has been from my Jeep.
When at camp I can just run extension cables for the remote head and leave the body of the radio in the Jeep and put up my mast and fan dipole. Mobile Command.jpg mobile command2.jpg

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
I use HF (IC7100) radio on all our trips. Mainly on 14.116 mhz for the Australian travelers net.
14.116 MHz is manned from 0200 UTC daily for check ins. Call Back Time is 0300 UTC.
Also 21.185 MHz as a fall back its manned from 0400 UTC daily for check ins Call Back Time is 0500 UTC .
A fun thing and to catch up with other Hams friends tripping around.

2 metres (VHF) on 146.600 for vehicle to vehicle comms.

Not to sure how a KX 3 will work mobile with electronic interference from the engine etc. They have a quite a good receiver in them and my not have many options to suppress the interference.

Mark
VK3ASC
I was debating a used Icom 706MKIIG, I was just wonder if there was some use for Overlanding that I'm unaware of. When I'm out and I'm using the radio, it's parked and I've got a telescoping mast - I can't remember how tall it is - 32-40" (need to measure it). I've got a few wire antenna's that I play with. Since I'm not in a hurry, I think I'll wait a while longer to see if Kenwood comes out with a mobile version of the D74A - I'm half tempted to get a D74A and a linear. The display is great for a handled, but really too small for a mobile.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I was just wonder if there was some use for Overlanding that I'm unaware of.
I don't think there is any benefit of mobile that couldn't be done portable in an Overlanding situation, if you have the time.
In an world of instant gratification if I am on the trail, I would rather pick up my mic and key up than have to erect an antenna, even just throwing the dipole up in a tree. Now at camp, that's a different story.

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
I don't think there is any benefit of mobile that couldn't be done portable in an Overlanding situation, if you have the time.
In an world of instant gratification if I am on the trail, I would rather pick up my mic and key up than have to erect an antenna, even just throwing the dipole up in a tree. Now at camp, that's a different story.
I can see that. I suppose if I used mobile to chat with folks I'd be more tempted.