Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Amos
Member #

I just wanted to drop a line from Oklahoma and say hello. Andrea and I just joined OB and are looking forward to meeting some other folks who share the love of overlanding. We drive a 2019 Toyota 4Runner that we have already started to build. Dropping in a few pictures below of our rig while we were in the Ozark National Forest a few weeks ago.
BB ONF Camp 3.jpgBB Scounting for camp ONF.jpgBB view from the top ONF.jpg

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I love the Ozarks! if you ever get back there look up our Member Rep @BlueLineOverland he is a wealth of knowledge.

Puravidajurnys

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Amos
Member #

If you’re like us. Every time we make a mod, we then see a better way and want to redo it or add to it. Hahahaha
So far we've been lucky in that regard. I have a couple of tweaks I want to make to my interior storage, plus some additional items. My wife wants to add the molle panels to the rear window for some extra storage. We are ordering our full length roof rack this week which will help out a bunch. After many hours of research and going back and forth we are going with the front runner brand.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

So far we've been lucky in that regard. I have a couple of tweaks I want to make to my interior storage, plus some additional items. My wife wants to add the molle panels to the rear window for some extra storage. We are ordering our full length roof rack this week which will help out a bunch. After many hours of research and going back and forth we are going with the front runner brand.
I’ve started looking at the molle panels myself. I thought the drawers would take care of storage, but it seems I never have enough.

I think my next big mod is going to be pulling out the backseats, and making storage there. We don’t use the 2nd row, so storage is more valuable than the seats for us. And I want a freshwater tank fir a trail shower.

front runner makes a good product. I have debated that one too. I’m torn between it and the gobi. But neither will happen soon lol

Reactions: Puravidajurnys

morganwest95

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
First Name
Morgan
Last Name
West
Member #

If you’re like us. Every time we make a mod, we then see a better way and want to redo it or add to it. Hahahaha
This is a big reason why my truck is still stock almost a year later. I'm a big proponent of "do it once and do it right", so I've been biding my time and saving some cash while aftermarket options have been being developed. She gets the job done and can still take on any track that doesn't challenge the clearance, so I've had no issues waiting. Now that Ford has come out with fully warrantied modification packages that are priced well, I think I'm going to get the "level 2" and put whatever tire will fit. The package comes with 32s, but I think a 33 to a 33.5 would fit well and not need any trimming. After that, all I will really need is rock rails and some kind of cargo system that I might just build myself.

Puravidajurnys

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Amos
Member #

This is a big reason why my truck is still stock almost a year later. I'm a big proponent of "do it once and do it right", so I've been biding my time and saving some cash while aftermarket options have been being developed. She gets the job done and can still take on any track that doesn't challenge the clearance, so I've had no issues waiting. Now that Ford has come out with fully warrantied modification packages that are priced well, I think I'm going to get the "level 2" and put whatever tire will fit. The package comes with 32s, but I think a 33 to a 33.5 would fit well and not need any trimming. After that, all I will really need is rock rails and some kind of cargo system that I might just build myself.
That is a good strategy. I have been very meticulous in what we buy and what we build ourselves. My rule is to try and not have to buy something twice (unless it breaks). We stumbled onto a great deal for the tepui tent that we have. It was a brand new take off from a local Toyota dealer, and they had it priced ridiculously cheap. Eventually, we will upgrade to a hardtop rooftop tent. My biggest rule that I follow is "can I buy, replace, or get it fixed in Central America"? If the answer is no, then I skip right over it. Good luck with the build.

Reactions: morganwest95

morganwest95

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
First Name
Morgan
Last Name
West
Member #

That is a good strategy. I have been very meticulous in what we buy and what we build ourselves. My rule is to try and not have to buy something twice (unless it breaks). We stumbled onto a great deal for the tepui tent that we have. It was a brand new take off from a local Toyota dealer, and they had it priced ridiculously cheap. Eventually, we will upgrade to a hardtop rooftop tent. My biggest rule that I follow is "can I buy, replace, or get it fixed in Central America"? If the answer is no, then I skip right over it. Good luck with the build.
Thanks! That's really lucky on the tent. I'm hesitant to buy an RTT myself because I'm happy to have a ground tent with a cot and don't want all that weight high up on the truck. But I do question my decision making sometimes when I'm packing and bagging everything up including the fold-out kitchen sink from Cabella's before heading home from camp. But maybe a nice tent like a Gazelle instead of the cheap dome tent I have now would make that process easier. It's all trial and error, like you said.