Hey PA guy looking for trails

• HTML tutorial

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Would these "roadways" be too small for a fullsize Tundra? Or not advisable along with all the rain coming for this weekend?

utherjorge

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Warren, PA
Member #

On board with Scout's question. I know exactly where the Bradford Station is, too...don't remember the roads here in question, but who knows?

utherjorge

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Warren, PA
Member #

A review of the Google Map around the Bradford Ranger Station shows tons of roads leading into the woods. How many are gated, posted, or both? Some are clear OG roads, but others are not. I know of one of those typically gated...but I see little spots all over. I should probably get some sort of GPS for this stuff; this might be the last weekend I attempt to roll without it.

Slippery Chuck

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buckeye, AZ, USA
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Finn
Member #

A review of the Google Map around the Bradford Ranger Station shows tons of roads leading into the woods. How many are gated, posted, or both? Some are clear OG roads, but others are not. I know of one of those typically gated...but I see little spots all over. I should probably get some sort of GPS for this stuff; this might be the last weekend I attempt to roll without it.
I've explored down most of those trails off 59 between the river and 770. Mostly all of them are just gas pump roads but some go back pretty far. Only about 25% are gated or posted so I assume it's all fair game on the NF land.

Reactions: utherjorge

utherjorge

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Warren, PA
Member #

I hit a lot of the roads on 59 today, from the Ranger station and then worked my way back towards the dam. I didn't go on all of them (there are a million) but I went on the main spurs. It was fun to find that two exits to 59 shown as roads on Google maps can't have been roads more recently than 40 years or so. You can see it was a path or road, but there are mature saplings on the road, so a no go.

I had some overheating issues, and nearly had to pull a Red Dawn but I found a cooling/retention pond that looked clear, and she took a half gallon of water. That's a lot for a little guy like I have. It's burning through coolant at an alarming rate which bodes poorly for the whole deal.

I DID find several ATV paths that I think my rig could fit down (I got a little rig for this reason) but if I get stuck in there, I'll have to burn down the forest to get it out. I took pics of the numbered forest roads where those paths were in case anyone wants to be a hero with me. Anyone have a small rig?

Everything north of 59 goes nowhere. One of them actually stubs onto a hiking trail, so I didn't try to go in too far, but I had some water to get through. Another goes in and looked promising, like it would be "the one" that would connect to 321 over the hill like some of them are supposed to, but it was clearly posted as a logging trail for no public use, even with an open gate. I didn't push my luck.

Finally, my rig started to stall, and the "Check Engine" light actually came on. Last time it did that I was almost out of coolant. Luckily, I have dual batteries now, so I could crank away at it, and it would finally catch. Well, this little rig has an awful turning radius, the one road was soup on the shoulder, and I got stuck on my frame. SO I GOT TO USE THE WINCH. Holy cow is that a nice thing to have laying around. 8k Warn + 2500lb trucklet = easy peazy.

I'll see what I can find with my rig with the cooling issues, and if it will survive, perhaps next weekend I'll try the backside of the hill between 59 and 321. This may seem silly and annoying, but it all serves as a shakedown for whether or not I can trust it to take it on a longer jaunt. I have two events I have paid for in Vermont and need to know if it will make the journey.

Slippery Chuck

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buckeye, AZ, USA
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Finn
Member #

I hit a lot of the roads on 59 today, from the Ranger station and then worked my way back towards the dam. I didn't go on all of them (there are a million) but I went on the main spurs. It was fun to find that two exits to 59 shown as roads on Google maps can't have been roads more recently than 40 years or so. You can see it was a path or road, but there are mature saplings on the road, so a no go.

I had some overheating issues, and nearly had to pull a Red Dawn but I found a cooling/retention pond that looked clear, and she took a half gallon of water. That's a lot for a little guy like I have. It's burning through coolant at an alarming rate which bodes poorly for the whole deal.

I DID find several ATV paths that I think my rig could fit down (I got a little rig for this reason) but if I get stuck in there, I'll have to burn down the forest to get it out. I took pics of the numbered forest roads where those paths were in case anyone wants to be a hero with me. Anyone have a small rig?

Everything north of 59 goes nowhere. One of them actually stubs onto a hiking trail, so I didn't try to go in too far, but I had some water to get through. Another goes in and looked promising, like it would be "the one" that would connect to 321 over the hill like some of them are supposed to, but it was clearly posted as a logging trail for no public use, even with an open gate. I didn't push my luck.

Finally, my rig started to stall, and the "Check Engine" light actually came on. Last time it did that I was almost out of coolant. Luckily, I have dual batteries now, so I could crank away at it, and it would finally catch. Well, this little rig has an awful turning radius, the one road was soup on the shoulder, and I got stuck on my frame. SO I GOT TO USE THE WINCH. Holy cow is that a nice thing to have laying around. 8k Warn + 2500lb trucklet = easy peazy.

I'll see what I can find with my rig with the cooling issues, and if it will survive, perhaps next weekend I'll try the backside of the hill between 59 and 321. This may seem silly and annoying, but it all serves as a shakedown for whether or not I can trust it to take it on a longer jaunt. I have two events I have paid for in Vermont and need to know if it will make the journey.

Glad to see you're putting time in to explore the area. I made it thru one of those old roads that couldn't have been used for at least 40 years. Just wide enough for my Forester to fit. Probably the roughest section I've found around there although it's a short trail. I attached a photo of the sign.IMG_20181028_140732014.jpg

utherjorge

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Warren, PA
Member #

How long ago did you take that pic? I ask because I am certain I went down that trail, and that's the one that had the logging gate up a ways. I do also know that the west side of this trail, by Old State Road, was gated for sure.

I'll throw this pic up here..I think this is what that two-track looked like, but I didn't see a sign for limited maintenance.

Reactions: 7mmremmag

Slippery Chuck

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buckeye, AZ, USA
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Finn
Member #

How long ago did you take that pic? I ask because I am certain I went down that trail, and that's the one that had the logging gate up a ways. I do also know that the west side of this trail, by Old State Road, was gated for sure.

I'll throw this pic up here..I think this is what that two-track looked like, but I didn't see a sign for limited maintenance.

Hard to say if it's the same trail or not. I took that photo last fall. I might take a trip down there one weekday this week.

7mmremmag

Rank III

Advocate II

Youngsville, PA, USA
Member #

Awesome! There are a handful of those signs on 59 actually and how you described them is how I remember. My truck is about back together. Ran out of gas and wire this weekend so need to get my bottle filled and finish her up and I'm game. Also, picked up a boat recently so I have been splitting project time between the truck and the boat.

utherjorge

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Warren, PA
Member #

I'm throwing the new thermostat in today after work, and giving the old Sea Foam a try prior to an oil change. Then, pending my cooling results, trying some other shenanigans this week as well. This Sunday (as of now) is supposed to be a high in the mid 60's at least. Hoping to have at least some of the cooling crap sorted so I can get to building the actual overland stuff.

Reactions: Scout and 7mmremmag

Jaxman

Rank 0

Traveler I

Pennsylvania Furnace, PA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Jaxman
Hi there everyone......I am new here but certainly not new to wheeling in PA.......I live just outside State College and have been traveling the back roads here for a long time......I know my way around Snow shoe, Karthus, Medix Run , Wikoff Run and down to Sinnamahoning.....I also lived over in the Tioga area for a while and drove a water truck there so I know a road or two in that area......not to mention the canyon ......Tiadoten would be a awesome place to meet for an adventure if you could find it......there is thousands of off road miles to be run in PA. I am trying my best to run them all before I die so if you have a sense of adventure ya just might want to find me and pick my brain......

Reactions: Scout and Valmore

utherjorge

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Warren, PA
Member #

Fun fact is that my Rocky did not HAVE a thermostat in it. We have a new and significant concern; if it didn't have one...why did it overheat so fast? Now we're looking at a possible water pump problem. The radiator has good flow...so if it's not the water pump, with a new head and good flow, I'm out of ideas.