Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Ah ha. Shipwright you say. LOL. I've been following the Tally Ho restoration out there. Very cool. I'll check around and see what I can come up with on the tool thing. Tekton is really really nice. Like some of the best.
Zim
Hi Dave,

Just wanted to let you know that the guys who are helping on Tally Ho also helped me with some aspects of my restoration, Port Townsend Boat yard is Awsome, I slept in my pickup truck in the boat yard while I was working on my restoration juts out of town. Very nice people !!!

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Hi Amanda, Do you need 1" sockets? It's nice to have that stuff when you need them. I have my first 1/2" drive socket set, but I mostly use my 3/8" drive. For me so much is unknown about your desire to learn and take on what level of repairs and the tool needs of your truck.
Yesterday I watched a video of a youtuber female in a Defender, she had a strange knocking noise and discovered her lug nuts were loose on one wheel. She was stuck unable to determine a course of action other than call for nearby help. She could have changed the wheel, bought a new rim, had the tyre swapped and been on her way. My point being what is the need for tools without the knowledge to use them? Not a knock on you, I commend your effort to be prepared and willingness to learn. I just don't want you to to spend money on things you don't need. That said having the right tool if a good samaritan comes along is priceless. It's a tough call for me. Get what you feel comfortable with. And I'm with you Taiwan over China!

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Amanda,

Been thinking of you and what kind of things you might have fail on the trail. These things are reported fairly often on videos and forums. Springs or shocks, U joints, fuel pumps/filter, wheel bearings, starter. Electrical gremlins as in loose or broken wires. Much bigger and complicated that that probably will require a shop. HTH

Happy Trails!
gene

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Hi Gene, nice to see your message this morning I am currently in Lowes have just arrived in the tool section.

Now I discover the sale kit we selected the tools are from china, however what made me post this message is there is two other kits either side of this one and they appear to offer slightly more . I.e the $149 - 6 $ more and has 6pt and 12pt (see photo of front and back of box and also the tools are made in Taiwan that I heard are better quality than china. Maybe this was why the one we intially selected was on sale!

Would love to have you here in lowes, but the next best thing is having you in my pocket virtually - thanks

What do you think I should do?
Hi Gene, Thanks for taking the time to reply, I do hear you and I can say I dont have much experiance beside basic maintance, oil changes etc. I do relaise that I am on a steep learning if things go wrong on the trail and I hope that a good samaritan may apprecatye the tools in my truck. Every time I go to a garage or shop in America I like to watch and observe the techinicians working on my truck, infact why visting my friend and senoir technician at Mr Lube for my oil & fluid changes, I learnt that the transmission has a mini coolent radiator in the centre and front of the mai things about n engine radiotor. On closer inspection he points out to me that the radiator is pretty clogged up and suggest I take it to a transmission shop and have them swap it out before my road trip. So you see when anything happens good or bed there is always an opportunity to advance my knowledge. As I have heard good things about Taiwan tools, I will go ahead and spend $6 dollars more and get the kit from Taiwan. I think i have done enough leg work at this stage and even starting this new OB section and threads, I have learnt a lot from awsome OB forum members including yourself.

Onwards and upwards

Amanda