Here's Why The Land Rover Defender Costs $70,000 (Or More)

• HTML tutorial

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Lol, good vid, but I'll keep my Wrangler, thanks. And yah, Iphone over Android any day of the week. But if I was to buy a LR, I'm partial to the LR3. No particular reason, just really like them.

Reactions: Laughing Otter

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

Lol, good vid, but I'll keep my Wrangler, thanks. And yah, Iphone over Android any day of the week. But if I was to buy a LR, I'm partial to the LR3. No particular reason, just really like them.
LOL...I've always been partial to the original Series Rovers and the discovery's. I totally agree with what you're saying regarding the LR3. It has been called, by off road experts, the best off road Land Rover ever produced. That being said...All Land Rovers have one trait that sets them apart....They can all drive at a 45 degree angle, without tipping...and they can finish the Camel Trophy, an event started by Jeep...but Jeep couldn't finish, ;^) jus' messin' with ya ;^) My wife is a Jeeper she has a 2002 TJ, lol, I try to give her a hard time...it never works out for me.

Reactions: Gnasher_PNW

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
If money were no object, I'd have quite a few different vehicles. But two primary reasons I stay with Jeep, 1) It's rich military heritage, and 2) I can go topless. I just love the freedom of being able to take the top off in a couple minutes and enjoy the drive. I don't care for cars so a convertible doesn't interest me. But if other manufacturers made 4x4's with removable tops, I think Jeep would have some serious competition. I know other manufacturers have in the past, not sure why they didn't continue.

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

If money were no object, I'd have quite a few different vehicles. But two primary reasons I stay with Jeep, 1) It's rich military heritage, and 2) I can go topless. I just love the freedom of being able to take the top off in a couple minutes and enjoy the drive. I don't care for cars so a convertible doesn't interest me. But if other manufacturers made 4x4's with removable tops, I think Jeep would have some serious competition. I know other manufacturers have in the past, not sure why they didn't continue.
I agree with the topless option. One of my favorite off road vehicles of all time is the...was it '84 to '86 Toyota 4runner? That had the removable top....those were awesome! Also on my list of favorite topless 4x4's....the early '60's Ford Broncos and the Jeep Commando.

Reactions: Gnasher_PNW

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

I'd love to own one someday.

Siding with Laughing Otter, I do enjoy the Discoveries quite a lot, despite their inherent issues. (Like the video said, reliability? lolol).
Yes, There is something about the Discovery's...What's funny is...mine has never had any serious mechanical issues on the trail.....but....take it to Costco?!!! Tranny falls out....LMAO!

Gnasher_PNW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Graham, Washington
Member #

Yes, There is something about the Discovery's...What's funny is...mine has never had any serious mechanical on the trail.....but....take to Costco?!!! Tranny falls out....LMAO!
Haha. That's something else.

I've been lucky/fortunate myself. I've been able to tackle everything thats come at me fairly easily, and affordably (through great hours of parts searching/sourcing).

My father is an artist with machines, and though I work on aircraft, am slowly getting into it more and more, but owning a Discovery has increased my ability to find deals on parts like nothing else. I ran into a guy a little bit ago who told me he paid $400 for a new alternator for his D1, and then he sold it right after, because he couldn't handle that.

$400? ... man.

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

Haha. That's something else.

I've been lucky/fortunate myself. I've been able to tackle everything thats come at me fairly easily, and affordably (through great hours of parts searching/sourcing).

My father is an artist with machines, and though I work on aircraft, am slowly getting into it more and more, but owning a Discovery has increased my ability to find deals on parts like nothing else. I ran into a guy a little bit ago who told me he paid $400 for a new alternator for his D1, and then he sold it right after, because he couldn't handle that.

$400? ... man.
$400.00?....Hmmmmm......

Gnasher_PNW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Graham, Washington
Member #

$400.00?....Hmmmmm......
Nice Disco!

You're in Pt. Angeles? I'm from Belfair, not far from you. Will be living in Graham, with my brothers, after this last deployment. We're looking to do the WABDR when I get back, if you're interested! I'll stay in touch.

And yeah! $400 is way too much. I replaced mine with a 100% new Bosch 130amp for $150.00. No way I'd ever pay $400.. that's absurd.

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

Nice Disco!

You're in Pt. Angeles? I'm from Belfair, not far from you. Will be living in Graham, with my brothers, after this last deployment. We're looking to do the WABDR when I get back, if you're interested! I'll stay in touch.

And yeah! $400 is way too much. I replaced mine with a 100% new Bosch 130amp for $150.00. No way I'd ever pay $400.. that's absurd.
For sure brother...I gave you my personal email. Yeah $400.00 a bit much!

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

LOL, I just viewed this video last night. At least now I know why they stopped importing them to the US.