AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
According to a post on Instagram, Clay from XOverland had some input into the Overlander and they will be using it on their next adventure and doing a review soon.
That doesn't sway me in the positive direction. Maybe others it will. I will leave it at that....

Based on seeing the demo this is an Android tablet with Big Icons to run different apps. How is that different than a much cheaper Android device? There are plenty of apps that can provide offline street map guidance and plenty of good existing off-road apps. When he showed the "find a campsite" app the text was silly big with a lot of unnecessary scrolling. But hey if someone thinks it's what they need go for it.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
That doesn't sway me in the positive direction. Maybe others it will. I will leave it at that....

Based on seeing the demo this is an Android tablet with Big Icons to run different apps. How is that different than a much cheaper Android device? There are plenty of apps that can provide offline street map guidance and plenty of good existing off-road apps. When he showed the "find a campsite" app the text was silly big with a lot of unnecessary scrolling. But hey if someone thinks it's what they need go for it.
Just providing some info, wasn't meant to sway one way or the other. [emoji106]

Reactions: 1Louder

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I've been using Avenza Maps on my iPhone on the Eglin Range and it has worked great. You have to search and download the map for the area you're exploring but that's what's cool about it, you don't lose the map when you lose cell service! I need to try it in other areas but so far it's all I've needed to find my way around Eglin Range which is 464,000 acres of sandy roads through the thick Florida wilderness!

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Between my iPhoneX, iPad Air, iPadPro, I want to look and start using an app that will work seamlessly with my iOS products. All have cellular access, and of course built in GPS. The plan is to use the iPhoneX and clear everything off my iPad Air, 64 GB. and use this for my on board navigation! Still researching the best combination for my off-road travels. This great group of people help with all the combined information from around the world! Thanks everyone! Vance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob Dunlop

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
so youd recommend getting it?
Nope!

I think my stance is pretty clear. But hey you can get a Garmin 65 6.95" screen on-road GPS for only $219.99. This will also work with Garmin Backup cameras. Use your phone for iOverlander and any other "I need to find a place to camp" app and then you have 75% of what this solution offers. I have a label maker and can send you an "Overland Approved" label for $75 plus shipping. (A $399 savings!) (This is called sarcasm.....)

Who knows maybe you can even hack a Garmin 65 to add additional map layers or apps. There seem to be lots of tutorials on YouTube on how to add openstreets map layers to Garmin devices via Basecamp for free... Since I don't own this device I can't confirm if it can connect to Basecamp. Older models seem to be compatible per Garmin though.

Last edited:
Reactions: grubworm

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
If it had inReach technology built in, it might be slightly compelling. But even then, only slightly. Although still certainly not at that price point.

There's not a single thing it does that even the most basic smartphone nowadays can't do.

For them to advertise pitch and roll indicators as a "feature" is borderline insulting to consumers. Anybody with a smartphone (i.e. 90% of the developed world) can choose from a hundred different pitch and roll apps in their respective app stores and/or pick up a physical device from any auto parts store for 10 bucks.

The same is to be said about iOverlander being "pre-loaded". It's a free app. Is the feature the app itself or the fact that they saved me precious seconds of having to download it myself?

Reactions: 1Louder

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
For them to advertise pitch and roll indicators as a "feature" is borderline insulting to consumers.
Ha! They're "pitchmen"...just like the Sham-wow and Ginsu knives that cut thru bricks and never need sharpening. That's the shit you buy on Home Shopping Network at 2am when your drunk and then later have hide the credit card statement from the ole lady....

Last edited:

Bob Dunlop

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Glen Allen, Va. USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Dunlop
Member #

Ha! They're "pitchmen"...just like the Sham-wow and Ginsu knives that cut thru bricks and never need sharpening. That's the shit you buy on Home Shopping Network at 2am when your drunk and then later have hide the credit card statement from the ole lady....
That’s hysterical!
And true!

the Dutch Wanderer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Koudekerke, The Netherlands
First Name
Alex
Last Name
de Witte
Member #

@4wheelspulling or others than I have a question I use sygic on- and Gaia offroad on my ipad (with cellular) but the provider changed the rules of using a dualism so now they want me to pay another €15,- a month to use it as I always did, wich is more expensive than buying a gps dongle

So the question is does the gps on the ipad still works fine if the data (cellular) is turned of?
If not I'm thinking about buying a Bluetooth gps dongle ( still researching which one to get )

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Wow for $700 I would rather get an Inreach Satellite device and a subscription to pair with my iPhone and iPad.

Reactions: Jim SoG

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I love my Garmin cycling GPS. It's been with me for probably 6 years now and going strong. That being said, with the advances in software for tablets, I'd rather repurpose my iPad or buy another tablet and pay a subscription fee. The tablet would be multi-purpose and the cost would be relatively the same or similar. Yes, there's a subscription fee, but I've watched some tech sales sites for sales and can pick up iPads or other tablets for cheap at times. Couple with a RAM mount, and we also have a way to play movies. Just my $0.02 here as I don't have a large disposable income and I tend to rely on paper maps, my Garmin GPS with the downloaded route, as well as offline maps and Gaia on my cellphone.

Reactions: NWF Troopr

NWF Troopr

Rank I

Contributor III

Navarre, Florida, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Puen
Member #

For what it's worth, I've been using Avenza Maps on a Gen 1 3G IPad, for a few years, don't use it for anything else. The 3G (with no service) still provides the moving blue dot, which has proven to be very accurate; I have compared it to my Garmin and Paper maps, as well. I frequent the Eglin AFB range in NW Florida, and those maps are free. and Avenza has quite a few other maps available, both free and for not too much of a cost.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

@4wheelspulling or others than I have a question I use sygic on- and Gaia offroad on my ipad (with cellular) but the provider changed the rules of using a dualism so now they want me to pay another €15,- a month to use it as I always did, wich is more expensive than buying a gps dongle

So the question is does the gps on the ipad still works fine if the data (cellular) is turned of?
If not I'm thinking about buying a Bluetooth gps dongle ( still researching which one to get )
the Dutch Wanderer,
Here in my part of the world, I can turn the airplane mode on and my GPS still works, same with you? Vance.