Here’s something new!

• HTML tutorial

danrhiggins

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, co
Member #

Heck, my Mini has been going 5 yrs strong.
I just bought my wife the new mini for her birthday. Guess who gets the hand-me-down and for what purpose. :smile: I have the inReach mini and I like the fact that I can pair it with either the iPad or my iPhone. So when we are exploring by foot, all I need is the phone. In the vehicle, it is the iPad. The only thing that might be compelling is on-road navigation using downloaded maps. (The nav system in my vehicle is terrible and terribly out of date. And Google isn't so great when you get out of cell range - which is often the case for us.)

Wabbit

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Somewhere out yonder
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Bru
Member #

I just bought my wife the new mini for her birthday. Guess who gets the hand-me-down and for what purpose. :smile: I have the inReach mini and I like the fact that I can pair it with either the iPad or my iPhone. So when we are exploring by foot, all I need is the phone. In the vehicle, it is the iPad. The only thing that might be compelling is on-road navigation using downloaded maps. (The nav system in my vehicle is terrible and terribly out of date. And Google isn't so great when you get out of cell range - which is often the case for us.)
However, with Google, you can download maps for off grid use.

danrhiggins

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, co
Member #

However, with Google, you can download maps for off grid use.
I need to figure out how that works. What I love about Earthmate (the map app that goes along with inReach) is that I can download all of OR, WA, ID, MT, WY, CO, AZ, UT, NM) only my 32GB iPad Mini. And when I want to view and area the zoom capability is extremely handy unlike things like Gaia. If I want to have even more detail for a particular area I can download additional maps. But I rarely need that. So I'm not out exploring somewhere only to realize that I hadn't anticipated all the places I would be and therefore hadn't downloaded any maps of that area. And since the Earthmate maps are topographical, we often use it while traveling on major roads (or any roads) to identify various terrain features and landmarks. Again, the zooming capabilities make this so easy. But I haven't explored all of the capabilities of Google. Nor have I looked at Gaia recently.

HaulBack

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ireland, Dublin
First Name
David
Last Name
Collins
Member #

It has the capability to navigate urban, rural and backcountry routes. Topo maps are built-in, as are POIs from iOverlander, the app designed to help overland travellers find hotels, fuel, boondock campsites or other stopping points.
Garmin’s Overlander GPS can also pair with an inReach mini satellite communicator for two-way text messaging, as well as the capability to send emergency distress signals (I think that will be extra cost though).

Last edited:

xplorr

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

@danrhiggins, for off-line on-road turn-by-turn navigation, maps.me works well for me. It makes it easy to download and update the off-line map data.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I need to figure out how that works. What I love about Earthmate (the map app that goes along with inReach) is that I can download all of OR, WA, ID, MT, WY, CO, AZ, UT, NM) only my 32GB iPad Mini. And when I want to view and area the zoom capability is extremely handy unlike things like Gaia. If I want to have even more detail for a particular area I can download additional maps. But I rarely need that. So I'm not out exploring somewhere only to realize that I hadn't anticipated all the places I would be and therefore hadn't downloaded any maps of that area. And since the Earthmate maps are topographical, we often use it while traveling on major roads (or any roads) to identify various terrain features and landmarks. Again, the zooming capabilities make this so easy. But I haven't explored all of the capabilities of Google. Nor have I looked at Gaia recently.
As much as I enjoy the various map options in Gaia, you definitely need to know where you are headed prior to your departure. Map downloading with Gaia is painfully slow even with fast internet and a good tablet. I found myself in exactly the situation you describe after ExpoWest where I ended up heading into an area after the event that was unplanned. Fortunately I had downloaded the surrounding states in Earthmate and reverted to using it instead of Gaia. I was bouncing back and forth between iOverlander and Earthmate looking for a place to camp so having a device where it's all in one like the Overlander is appealing to me. I still have a Garmin Zumo 550 from 2007 that continues to work and at the time it was close to the price of the Overlander.

Somehow I missed seeing this at Expo but it sounds like the reps didn't know much anyway...lol.

Reactions: Bob Dunlop

Bob Dunlop

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Glen Allen, Va. USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Dunlop
Member #

We use our Garmin 2789LMT for allot of poi’s and then GAIA for off-road info but still looking for something better to find campsites and things

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Apps like Gaia GPS can give you great granular detail. Earthmate less detailed but functional. If you use a lower zoom level in Gaia then it is pretty easy to download large sections of maps and have something equivalent as what Earthmate or this device will provide. Then you have a backup.

Maps.me is a great road app. I have used it countless times when plans have changed on short notice and I don't have cellular service. Pocket Earth is also very good. As mentioned you can download Google maps for offline use but I am no expert in that. Gaia is really working on improving some of its features which relate to overlanding. On my devices I have Gaia GPS, maps.me, Pocket Earth, iOverlander (I rarely use it), Ultimate Campground (I use this often), Earthmate (iPad for my InReach device), and I tend to use Google maps when I have phone service.

I still say devices like this pigeon hole you into what they want to give you whereas a smart device lets you choose. Don't like Gaia ok try Back Country Navigator. Don't like BCN well try something else, so on and so forth. Don't like you dedicated device, hope you can return it! Growing up before we had all of this "smart" stuff I generally don't find it too hard to go old school with written instructions and a printed map.

Finally BUY SOME PAPER MAPS! Delorme and Benchmark are good. I have a laptop bag filled with them along with MVUM paper maps and any other local maps that I have picked up at places. When all of your electronic crap fails you can easily use these map books. They are also great for planning around the camp fire.

Of course to each his own. Some folks just are committed to a single ecosystem. Whatever you choose learn how to use it! Take the time to read support files, how to's, user reviews, etc. You will end up getting a lot more use out of what you choose.

Good luck Garmin.

Bob Dunlop

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Glen Allen, Va. USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Dunlop
Member #

Apps like Gaia GPS can give you great granular detail. Earthmate less detailed but functional. If you use a lower zoom level in Gaia then it is pretty easy to download large sections of maps and have something equivalent as what Earthmate or this device will provide. Then you have a backup.

Maps.me is a great road app. I have used it countless times when plans have changed on short notice and I don't have cellular service. Pocket Earth is also very good. As mentioned you can download Google maps for offline use but I am no expert in that. Gaia is really working on improving some of its features which relate to overlanding. On my devices I have Gaia GPS, maps.me, Pocket Earth, iOverlander (I rarely use it), Ultimate Campground (I use this often), Earthmate (iPad for my InReach device), and I tend to use Google maps when I have phone service.

I still say devices like this pigeon hole you into what they want to give you whereas a smart device lets you choose. Don't like Gaia ok try Back Country Navigator. Don't like BCN well try something else, so on and so forth. Don't like you dedicated device, hope you can return it! Growing up before we had all of this "smart" stuff I generally don't find it too hard to go old school with written instructions and a printed map.

Finally BUY SOME PAPER MAPS! Delorme and Benchmark are good. I have a laptop bag filled with them along with MVUM paper maps and any other local maps that I have picked up at places. When all of your electronic crap fails you can easily use these map books. They are also great for planning around the camp fire.

Of course to each his own. Some folks just are committed to a single ecosystem. Whatever you choose learn how to use it! Take the time to read support files, how to's, user reviews, etc. You will end up getting a lot more use out of what you choose.

Good luck Garmin.

Nemisys

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vancouver, WA
First Name
John
Last Name
Root
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7NEM
Just FYI, the overland works with all types of inreach not just the mini. However so does my G Tab and what ever I care to run, so really not a wowzer there. Also we can load ioverland like it has as well. We can run the same stuff and more on our tabs and phones.

With the new overland bound app im curious to see if its as revolutionary as they state...or if they just combind a bunch of different apps into one, that would be disappointing.

One function id like to see is they allow the OB app to accept my live inreach data as a track, like other topo programs.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I look at these GPS thingees every few years, but I still have more faith and trust in paper maps. Which don't need a battery.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
It’s a long ways off but competition is always good. It will be interesting to see what map layers they end up licensing. I look forward to testing the beta and can on both iOS and Android.

App releases this summer I believe, the Next tier level mentioned is Q1 2020....

Jim

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I got to play with it and push buttons at Expo West at their booth. It's a pretty nice, hefty device. Feels very well made. I liked the interface allot, it was very user friendly. It's a hefty price tag though. I feel it will fall to the wayside like Magellan's TRX7.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Here's a video review:

The ability to hook up to wireless cameras is interesting. BUT this is an Android tablet in a rugged case with a custom interface. Is it worth $699?

Bob Dunlop

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Glen Allen, Va. USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Dunlop
Member #

Here's a video review:

The ability to hook up to wireless cameras is interesting. BUT this is an Android tablet in a rugged case with a custom interface. Is it worth $699?
That’s the million dollar question,
Is it worth $700?
I agree the camera thing is cool.
And...will they release a new and improved version next year for $399
I can almost guarantee it!

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
According to a post on Instagram, Clay from XOverland had some input into the Overlander and they will be using it on their next adventure and doing a review soon.

Reactions: cruiseroutfit