AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I will still say future paperweight but I look forward to honest reviews down the road. Not cheap!

Bob Dunlop

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Glen Allen, Va. USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Dunlop
Member #

I will still say future paperweight but I look forward to honest reviews down the road. Not cheap!
I agree, way too expensive!
I have a Garmin 2789LMT 7” screen that I absolutely love, so far it’s been the best GPS I’ve purchased for on road, but it was half the price of this.
I agree, looking forward to reviews, I definitely think this is a good move for Garmin with the huge Overlanding movement that’s going on.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
YUP, got the alert yesterday in my emails from the factory store. Seems it would replace and consolidate a couple of systems, but....they are pretty proud of it ($$$). Not available quite yet, I wonder how many will consider it as it is a new system, and just how well it will work in the field. A heck of a price for those who use it occasionally, and are not OTR types who would need it every day. Reminds me of the 6 inch Garmin NUVI #1490, when it was first released on the market. Within 2 years, the model had reduced in price over $200, and within 4 was down another $200 ($400 total).

Being GPS prices drop quickly from initial offer price, and the competitions grab for market share, I imagine I will wait a couple of years, and see how factory reconditioning prices go. It will also allow time for real input and reviews from actual users.

Reactions: Bob Dunlop

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Garmin's marketing department knows its demographic. There are LOTS of people in the Overlanding world with LOTS of disposable income. To many this doesn't seem expensive.

I will stick with a tablet with quality software of my choice. This device can't be used to stream media content, look things up on the internet when I have mobile service. can't store notes, can't store PDF manuals, and all sorts of other stuff. It would be a separate dedicated device which I would need to take care of.

You would think the InReach functionality could be built in for this price with the additional subscription fee. Yes, it is nice to have a portable InReach but some may not need that.

I'm sure folks are drooling at Expo West over this thing right now. I'm missing this year stuck in training.

The only thing intriguing in the marketing materials is it know what trails you can do based on vehicle lengths and weight. I would like to see how that is actually applied. But hey Garmin if you're reading send me one and I will test it along side what I run everyday.

xplorr

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Ok, I misunderstood a review I saw then. Thanks for setting me straight on that. That changes my perspective on the device. If it did have InReach built-in it would have been much more compelling of a product.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Yeah may not even at that price, seems the company does not listen to its customers, they still look like they only allow 200 points to be loaded, not near enought for a trip of any size.....Magellan for example does 20k I think.....Seems also the reps the sent to Expo West did not know the product, what company that is marketing a product to overlanders would send ppl who know nothing about overlanding and the new onverlanding thingy to the expo?

LOL Might not want this no matter the price.....

Bob Dunlop

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Glen Allen, Va. USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Dunlop
Member #

Yeah may not even at that price, seems the company does not listen to its customers, they still look like they only allow 200 points to be loaded, not near enought for a trip of any size.....Magellan for example does 20k I think.....Seems also the reps the sent to Expo West did not know the product, what company that is marketing a product to overlanders would send ppl who know nothing about overlanding and the new onverlanding thingy to the expo?

LOL Might not want this no matter the price.....
Interesting, If this is true, it sounds Like Garmin may need a little shake up in their sales and marketing department