Help purchasing my first CO overland vehicle

• HTML tutorial

Dekkbox

Rank I

Contributor III

Hi everyone,
This is my first post on the forum and after countless hours reading threads, I thought I would ask f0r advice on how to think about a purchase of an overlanding rig capable of enjoying my dream to do a route in Moab as well as enjoy some wheeling day trips and long weekend routes in areas around Denver, CO. How would you spend 15-18k? Go stock and modify within that budget, or buy something built? I'd love your suggestions on what vehicle, and ballpark of what necessary mods cost to do to accomplish the criteria below:

Here's our criteria
- Daily Driver (I commute 5 min to work which is nice, and live 5 min from where the foothills start)
- I have a family of 4 that will be adventuring with me (wife plus 4 and 6 year old girls who love to camp)
- I currently have basically no experience working on my own cars other than brakes, so I would need to learn on this vehicle as I go. Simplicity and reliability are important.
- I also backpack and have a LOT of ultralight and packable gear, so I don't anticipate needing any roof space for camping gear. We will likely start with with tent and hammock camping, but it would be cool to have the ability to have our two girls sleep in the car while my wife and I sleep in a tent nearby.
- I'm 33, I've dreamed of having an off-road capable vehicle since I was 7. It's time to realize this dream after moving from Minneapolis to Denver!

My current thoughts:
- I'd love to get into a 100 series Landcruiser or a 4th gen 4-runner, put a 2-3" lift, springs/suspension, some 33' tires, and bumpers with a winch are in question on whether I would need them or not, but again, the dream is to do some wheeling in CO and in Utah.

I'm a total newbie to understanding what modifications have the most value and how to realistically think about a budget for how much to save in a 15-18k budget modifying the vehicle if I buy it stock. Your thoughts are much appreciated! Thanks - Josh

Reactions: LuxuryOverland

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

Reliability-wise, Toyota beyond a shadow of a doubt. Definitely go with something 2008+ in my personal opinion to keep the wifey and girls happy (A/C and comfy seats....my wife complained up a storm in the 88 Dodge with no A/C Lol)
In my opinion, its a satisfying as hell feeling building your rig up...but theres zero shame in buying a built rig already! Saves you some headaches and time. I thought about it myself, but I want to learn about my rig from the ground up, thus chose to go cheap and build it up from there. If youre thinking Landcruiser, great choice--but think Lexus for the wifeys comfort. Lx450-Lx470 are EXACTLY like the LC, can even find them with the e-locker option stock already, and they have all the luxuries of a Lexus.
Let us know what you decide, if you build it from stock, id love to follow along!!! Best of luck, and remember, go with your gut! If you want easy, buy built! If you want YOURS, buy stock and build! But end of the day, the adventure is whats important, the rig is just a tool!

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Welcome! Sound like You have a nice fun project ahead of you. Here's my take.

Best bang for the budget would be to get a 2nd hand Toyota 4Runner or Tacoma. We all know their reputation and reliability.

2nd is build it up yourself. This way you can learn as you go and feel confident when on the trails. Those unexpected creaks and noises on the trail can give heart attacks :)

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: LuxuryOverland

herooftheday

Rank 0

Traveler I

Chicago
I know a full size rig can be cumbersome, but I'm looking at Toyota Sequoias right now. I wanted a 4Runner, and I'd still take one, but the first gen Sequoias have more room and power and don't seem to have the premium price attached to them like the 4Runner. The 4.7 V8 is bullet proof. Gas mileage is a little worse and the aftermarket isn't as strong for the Sequoia, but it still seems like a solid rig to start with. Just something to think about.

Reactions: 4runnin

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

4runner checks every box you've got.
I don't know much about LandCruisers other than they are hard to find. But 4 runners are fairly easy to find, are reasonably priced, and off road stuff like suspension and what not is interchangeable with the Taco, so it is fairly easy and somewhat inexpensive to modify. It just depends on how wild you want to go with it. You can actually get into a serviceable 2 1/2 to 3 inch lift for about 700$ or less by going 5100s and an add a leaf.
Id steer clear of the Sequoia for the simple reason is its size. It is very large, and for the wheeling you are talking about, the midsize would be better IMO.
Good luck and have fun.

herooftheday

Rank 0

Traveler I

Chicago
4runner checks every box you've got.
I don't know much about LandCruisers other than they are hard to find. But 4 runners are fairly easy to find, are reasonably priced, and off road stuff like suspension and what not is interchangeable with the Taco, so it is fairly easy and somewhat inexpensive to modify. It just depends on how wild you want to go with it. You can actually get into a serviceable 2 1/2 to 3 inch lift for about 700$ or less by going 5100s and an add a leaf.
Id steer clear of the Sequoia for the simple reason is its size. It is very large, and for the wheeling you are talking about, the midsize would be better IMO.
Good luck and have fun.
4Runners don't use leaf springs. The fronts may be interchangeable with tacos, but the rear is not.

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I would look at first gen tundras, like the 1st gen Sequoia mentioned above they are less sought after then 4runners or tacomas can be had fully loaded and are the sameish size as 2nd gen tacomas and 4th/5th gen 4runners but get you the v8 which gets about the same gas milage as the 4L v6.

My next suggestion would be a jeep jku while not as large or as well equipped as a toyota they can be built like lego for cheap cheap. They can get reasonable gas milage given how boxy they are and still seat 4. The big draw to the jeeps is that they are the only vehicles the still come sfa other then ford/dodge 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, this is part of what makes these vehicles so capable right of the lot with a good set of tires.

herooftheday

Rank 0

Traveler I

Chicago
I agree the Jeep would be a great vehicle, it would definitely cut into his 15-18k budget, or most likely exceed it. I love jeeps, but man they are expensive. Especially if you have your heart set on a Rubicon.

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

4th gen Runner would be a great starting point. Throw some good tires on it and go. The rest you will figure out what you need as you go.

herooftheday

Rank 0

Traveler I

Chicago
Ah ya. Don't know what I was thinking. But still. You can get 3" for 700$
Yeah the OME kit is around that price. A lot of people go even cheaper and do Land Cruiser springs in back and I think tundra springs in front with Bilsteins. There's a lot of ways to do a decent lift for little money on those. That's one of the things that makes them so great.

BerettaMato

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Broomfield Colorado
Member #

I live outside of Boulder and have 4 built out Toyota's you can look at and we can go over must haves vs wants on a DD. PM me if you want to stop by and talk shop.

Reactions: Boort

Dekkbox

Rank I

Contributor III

Hey guys thanks for all the replies! @BerettaMato thanks for the offer, I'll PM you for sure, I'd love to bring my mountain bike up there for some singletrack and tell me what you like to drink, there is no shortage of beer here:)

Here's another question for you guys. Bumpers have all the rugged utility I love about 4x4's but how much do you find you're in a situation that warrants having them?

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

It all depends on what you will be doing with the rig. Do you need a winch? Do you need more approach angle? Will you be bouncing it off rocks? These are some of the things to think of. Sure they look cool but is it worth it?

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

Hey guys thanks for all the replies! @BerettaMato thanks for the offer, I'll PM you for sure, I'd love to bring my mountain bike up there for some singletrack and tell me what you like to drink, there is no shortage of beer here:)

Here's another question for you guys. Bumpers have all the rugged utility I love about 4x4's but how much do you find you're in a situation that warrants having them?
I personally feel as MEN we like to find ourselves on the more " OW SHIT MY BUMPER" trails than not... invest! If you don't need them awesome...but I can almost certainly bet you may find yourself wishing at some point you had made the investment! Especially a good winch bumper/winch combo...ive been stuck winchless in deep mud solo, and its NO FUN AS ALL.

Last edited: