Help pick new rig!

• HTML tutorial

Dustin

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Hayward, CA
Member #

Wife and I have decided to move on from the Xterra to something that could give us a little more cargo capacity. We've been eyeing the new 4runner trail premiums but, I've also secretly been checking out the new power wagons. I understand the fundamental difference is the power wagon is quite a bit bigger (approx 4 feet longer and half a foot wider than a 4runner from what I can tell from edmunds.com exterior measurements).

Question is: what does that mean for us for trails? We recently went on the corral hollow trail with our Xterra and at some points I thought it was a pretty tight squeeze for the xterra. Does that mean a power wagon on that trail is out of the question? We live in California, so I'm guessing a number of the forested trails are going to be pretty tight but, don't have enough experience yet to sway my decision one way or the other.

What does everyone here think?

MtnManT4R

Rank III

Advocate II

That 6 in width could be a huge impact
Same with the length. I have a 2015 trail Premium that is about 60/40 onroad/offroad. It has not let me down and I can comfortably load all 5 seats (7 is an option if you needed it. I didnt) with room to pack all the goods. The KDSS has been one of my favorite parts of the vehicle. I'm happy with the long distance comfort also.

Reactions: Dustin

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

Coincidentally, I've owned both. And you're right, the PW is a beast but it's hard to fit and maneuver on tighter trails, it's great for an all around rig that an do it all, tow, haul, offroad,etc... and is suprisingly great to drive on high way trips with great road manners.

Pros: road manners, capacity, creature comforts for the $ if you get mid level PW or laramie.

Cons: fuel economy, I mean abysmal fuel economy, maneuvering on tight trails, reliability long term.

To this, the death wobble tendency in pws is high at around 15-20k miles. The gadgets can malfunction and do.

Traded the 2015 PW for a 2016 4runner trail after 6 months due to two fender flare repairs, a non starting issue and death wobble , all under 4k miles. Love the 4Runner as its my 3d in my lifetime. Have 14k on the odo and love it . Great on long trips, great off road, and fuel economy is reasonable for what it is. Plus the reliability is tops. I've ample experience with toyota vehicles overseas in harsh environments and they are rock solid with maximum abuse.

Just my $.02

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

I really really like the ride and ergonomics of the rams too. It's a shame. But I'm just not into owning an unreliable vehicle

thejonchacon

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Chacon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QNC
Service Branch
US Air Force
Only if diesel engines were available in Toyotas sold in the US... One can dream... Wait.... I really have to think about this one because it would suck running out of that gimmicky additive needed on 2010-2011 & up diesels...

pseebald

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brookings, OR
Member #

4runner hands down!! I've owned 2 of them before settling on my 80 series. I loved them and they are an awesome option. I only chose the 80 ultimately because I didn't want to take something so new and i had a payment on, on the trail.

Good luck with the hunt and I know it is a tough decision!

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

I agree with the 4Runner crowd. A Power Wagon would become cumbersome on any moderate trail, fast.

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
I'm going to play devil's advocate here, and say Power Wagon. If you're looking for more cargo space than the Xterra has to offer, this seems like the logical leap. Going from a mid-sized SUV to a slightly larger mid-sized SUV doesn't make too much sense to me, unless you've got other issues with the Xterra. The only benefit I could see is that (and please someone, correct me if I'm wrong here) the 4Runner comes with available third row seating. This would certainly be beneficial for a growing family.

I don't want to try to steer you away from the 4Runner, however. I, myself, was a proud owner of a '96 runner for several years and I know they're great vehicles. I know my 3rd gen was a far cry from what the 5th gens are today, but they're products of the same legacy of reliability and capability.

I know for my purposes, if and when I replace my X it will be with a full-sized truck with some sort of "off road" package (i.e. the PW).

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

I have had several Dodge trucks and I have had good luck with all of them. The one Toyota truck I had blew a head gasket at 59,900 miles. There is no perfect vehicle. I have a friend with a Lexas that has been in the shop more times than I can remember yet he thinks it the greatest car ever. I bought a Kia Optima about the same time and took it into the shop once to get the cabin filter replaced.

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

I have a bulletproof '05 Ram 4x4 SLT Crew. It's been such a good truck (125,000 miles) that I almost feel guilty for considering a Tacoma DCSB OR for my next rig.

But it is a big bohemith just in a crowded parking lot, much less in the woods.

I'm going to let the 3rd Gen Tacoma settle in and see how they hold up, but that'll likely be my next rig if I don't go with a Rebel.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

There are lots of places that I've been where a full-size truck simply won't fit. Also, to be honest, I'm not sold on Chrysler reliability.

I have some experience with the 4Runner Trail. If my XTerra was hit by a steam roller tomorrow and I could have my pick of new vehicles, the 4Runner Trail would be at the top of my list. It is larger and more comfortable than the XTerra but will still fit down most trails without issue. Plus, it has great aftermarket support.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

I am biased Power Wagon, Raptor, Tundra TRD Pro or GMT800 2500 burb.....fullsize! but yes went with a buddy of mine to Hollister hills in his stock FJ couldn't keep up with it. Those things fly offroad. Full-size on tight trails = SLOW. Other than that I can tow a ton of gear and people and still pull something.

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

I'm not sold on Chrysler reliability.
That's where I have been sold the last few vehicles. My wife has had multiple transmission failures on Ford products, then I had an F150 that started shifting weird and swapped it off quickly. She also had a Honda try to kill her on the I-24 Ohio River Bridge when the cat converter died instantly nearly causing a chain reaction of Biblical proportions.

We got her a Dodge Caravan (since she actually WAS a soccer Mom at the time) and she ran it to 160,000 miles without one single issue. I first changed the spark plugs at 150,00 miles.

She's running a 2015 Patriot now, and my '05 Ram 1500 SLT has been trouble free for 125,000 miles.

I'm pretty well sold !