Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I found a new post for a super clean LRD2 near me and I have my eyes on a 4runner that already has the mods I want. What do you guys think?

1st: 1997 Toyota 4runner
243,000 Km
Asking 5900$

Extras:
- brand new 33” K02 all terrain tire (5)
- 2” lift - Arb front bumper
- Warn winch never used and just needs to be wired up and have everything required
-4 led lights on two separate toggles

2nd: 2004 Land Rover Discovery SE7
137,000 Km
Asking 6000$

Looks super clean, with really low mileage. 7 passenger is a little turn down for my as I would prefer to have the extra cargo space.
That is a tough call. The Toyota has an awful lot going for it which makes me wonder why he is selling it after spending money on new tires (min of $1000). It is tempting except for my biggest reason for telling you to buy the LRD2. It gas 243,000 miles. The second reason I would buy the LDR2 is that it is 7 years newer and untouched.
The LDR2 is twice as nice to drive with shear luxury. I have never drive anything that matches an LDR2.The seats are not a problem because they fold away or can be removed which most people do. I have the five seater and the compartments in the back are not that great to have. You"ll actually have more space when the seats are removed than I have. Just get it checked out mechanically by a competent mechanic, that advise is for any auto you might by.
LRD2's have aluminum body's so there is never any rust on the exterior. The floor and frame is where you look for rust that your mechanic can verify. So , I say yes to the LDR2

Blaklyte

Rank 0

Contributor I

Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
First Name
Marc
Last Name
D
That is a tough call. The Toyota has an awful lot going for it which makes me wonder why he is selling it after spending money on new tires (min of $1000). It is tempting except for my biggest reason for telling you to buy the LRD2. It gas 243,000 miles. The second reason I would buy the LDR2 is that it is 7 years newer and untouched.
The LDR2 is twice as nice to drive with shear luxury. I have never drive anything that matches an LDR2.The seats are not a problem because they fold away or can be removed which most people do. I have the five seater and the compartments in the back are not that great to have. You"ll actually have more space when the seats are removed than I have. Just get it checked out mechanically by a competent mechanic, that advise is for any auto you might by.
LRD2's have aluminum body's so there is never any rust on the exterior. The floor and frame is where you look for rust that your mechanic can verify. So , I say yes to the LDR2
FYI they are not miles but KM so that would be 150,000 miles.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
FYI they are not miles but KM so that would be 150,000 miles.
I'm not Canadian, I didn't catch that, but makes even more sense now to buy the LRD2. So does that make the LDR2 somewhere around 80,000 miles ? BTW I really like your logo, coooooool

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks, bud, and yes it would be around 83,000 miles
Do Canadians use Liters instead of gallons ? I have several Canadians living in my rural subdivision that spend their winters here and go back in the Canadian spring.
Years ago the Canadian government offer free homestead land to Americans if they would move there. I wanted to go but my wife was a city girl and refused. The Australian government did the same thing in 1956, again my wife wouldn't go. That one was a great offer because they would pay for your transportation to get there along with you belongings, then give you something like 2000 acres of land, and every thing needed to sustain yourself for two years if you would homestead the land, farm it or ranch it. If you made it two years they deeded the land to you. Grass is always greener on the other side , Huh ?

Blaklyte

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Marc
Last Name
D
Do Canadians use Liters instead of gallons ? I have several Canadians living in my rural subdivision that spend their winters here and go back in the Canadian spring.
Years ago the Canadian government offer free homestead land to Americans if they would move there. I wanted to go but my wife was a city girl and refused. The Australian government did the same thing in 1956, again my wife wouldn't go. That one was a great offer because they would pay for your transportation to get there along with you belongings, then give you something like 2000 acres of land, and every thing needed to sustain yourself for two years if you would homestead the land, farm it or ranch it. If you made it two years they deeded the land to you. Grass is always greener on the other side , Huh ?
Wow that's kinda cool, would loved to have moved to Australia but I'm pretty sure my family wouldn't have agreed. And yes we use liters instead of gallons.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Mods are nice, but consider why that rig was modded. Probably has been wheeled, which means more than likely it has been beat on a bit. Could be a gem if they took the time to maintain it and replace parts with new OEM or better quality, but it's a risk. If it was a stock T4R with zero mods, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, go for the lower mile, unmolested rig.

Blaklyte

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Marc
Last Name
D
Mods are nice, but consider why that rig was modded. Probably has been wheeled, which means more than likely it has been beat on a bit. Could be a gem if they took the time to maintain it and replace parts with new OEM or better quality, but it's a risk. If it was a stock T4R with zero mods, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, go for the lower mile, unmolested rig.
I'm thinking the the LRD2 will cost more to maintain and to drive around. Just the price of the fuel will be pretty high.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I'm thinking the the LRD2 will cost more to maintain and to drive around. Just the price of the fuel will be pretty high.
Its a 5600 # auto and gets between 16 and 20 mpg. That toyota won't best it by much if at all. They both need maintenance so how is one more than the other. It your deal and your choice now. You've had good advice from the forum. It only makes sense the LRD2 is newer with half the mileage on it. I think the choice should be clear. That's all folks as Bugs Bunny would say. Live and learn !

Reactions: Blaklyte

Blaklyte

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Marc
Last Name
D
Its a 5600 # auto and gets between 16 and 20 mpg. That toyota won't best it by much if at all. They both need maintenance so how is one more than the other. It your deal and your choice now. You've had good advice from the forum. It only makes sense the LRD2 is newer with half the mileage on it. I think the choice should be clear. That's all folks as Bugs Bunny would say. Live and learn !
The LRD2 might be the only option left anyway. Last time the seller of the Toyota talk to me he said he had a hard time replying to all the email be was receiving about the jeep. There is a good chance he sold it already. I already have an appointment to go see the LRD2 tomorrow. I might just pull the trigger of I can get a decent price for it. Thanks everyone

Blaklyte

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Marc
Last Name
D
Search is over.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Search is over.

Love it man and it will love you back like a dog. She will go places you never dreamed of going and bring you back with proper maintenance given to any rig.
Lanlubber

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
I also started to look at Toyota 4runners v8, just in case I can't find the Land Rover I want. I don't think they nook learny as good has the Rover but people say they are reliable

What do you think, anything you think I should about the 4runner befor buying one?

Given the 2 choices I would pick the Toyota every day of the week. They are much more dependable, parts are easily available and did I mention they’re dependable? At your price point I’m assuming that you don’t have the time or money to drop several thousand fixing things but would rather go out and enjoy your great country!
This is from a guy who is not a Toyota fan boy...

Edit- just saw you bought a Disco. Best of luck to you.

Blaklyte

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Marc
Last Name
D
Given the 2 choices I would pick the Toyota every day of the week. They are much more dependable, parts are easily available and did I mention they’re dependable? At your price point I’m assuming that you don’t have the time or money to drop several thousand fixing things but would rather go out and enjoy your great country!
This is from a guy who is not a Toyota fan boy...

Edit- just saw you bought a Disco. Best of luck to you.
Thanks, the Toyota stopped replying to my messages so I'm pretty sure he sold it. But I do like my Land Rover and my GF loves it. I'm doing a little big of maintenance on it right now. But nothing that a Toyota wouldn't also need. Changing the O2 sensor and some ball joints. But right now that's the only thing the Land Rover needs. I will install those next week then me and the gf will go on our first overnight trip.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks, the Toyota stopped replying to my messages so I'm pretty sure he sold it. But I do like my Land Rover and my GF loves it. I'm doing a little big of maintenance on it right now. But nothing that a Toyota wouldn't also need. Changing the O2 sensor and some ball joints. But right now that's the only thing the Land Rover needs. I will install those next week then me and the gf will go on our first overnight trip.
Are we gonna get a pic soon ?
A little info here. When your servicing the battery on a LRD2 always disconnect the positive first then the negative cable. Take the battery out of the car to clean it up good, then replace the battery in it's place and connect the negative cable first and the positive cable last. Do it any other way and the LRD2 will have a dead battery and the computer will not allow the vehicle to start. I learned this the hard way and never could figure out how the battery went dead by connecting in incorrectly. I had to remove the cables again, charge the battery for 12 hours @ 10 amps then reconnect properly before the computer would let it start. Read your manual if you have one. If not down load the info from internet.
Lanlubber

Blaklyte

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Marc
Last Name
D
Are we gonna get a pic soon ?
A little info here. When your servicing the battery on a LRD2 always disconnect the positive first then the negative cable. Take the battery out of the car to clean it up good, then replace the battery in it's place and connect the negative cable first and the positive cable last. Do it any other way and the LRD2 will have a dead battery and the computer will not allow the vehicle to start. I learned this the hard way and never could figure out how the battery went dead by connecting in incorrectly. I had to remove the cables again, charge the battery for 12 hours @ 10 amps then reconnect properly before the computer would let it start. Read your manual if you have one. If not down load the info from internet.
Lanlubber
Awesome thanks for the info, I really appreciate that. As for picture, I started a thread in Overland Build section of the forum, you can see some pictures there. I will keep it up to date with my progress on the build. :) Follow the link ---> My first overlander - LRD2