Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
They might look over price but it's in Cnd dollar. My budget for this year I would say is 5k. But for that price I would want something really good. I could have bought the 2004 Disco 2 for 3500$ but was out of town and someone else bought it. I feel that if I can find something around the 3k I would be left with enough money for a lift and tires if needed.
Be lucky it sold. Surely it will need a new engine ($3000) very soon. It may have lasted the previous owner that long because he treated it with kid gloves. That is not what you would do with it. Example: I bought a low mileage (60,000) car from an older lady (old Maid school teacher) and it was never even left out of the garage at night or bad weather. The car was perfect. I kept my cars clean and maintained but I drive my cars pretty hard. I had it two weeks and blew up the engine. I'm not saying the LRD2 would blow up if you treated it the same as the previous owner, but if your going to off road you'll blow it up quickly. Modern modular engines with computers can last a very long time but the LRD2 is not a new school engine and it has inherent built in problems. It's an old school aluminum Buick engine from the 60:s. When my engine goes out, and it will, I will replace it with a Ford 300 C.I. six cylinder engine with an off road cam and fuel injection. Cost, Maybe $1500 and the old girl will give me another 200,000 miles.

Just saying, buyer beware especially with such a small budget. LRD2's bumpers will cost you a Min. of $1500, skid rails $350, winch $300, roof rack $600-$900 min., engine $3000, Tires for new lift $1000, Lift with shocks and break lines $600. That's over $4000 even without an engine. Think twice spend once if you can.

Reactions: Blaklyte

Blaklyte

Rank 0

Contributor I

Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
First Name
Marc
Last Name
D
Be lucky it sold. Surely it will need a new engine ($3000) very soon. It may have lasted the previous owner that long because he treated it with kid gloves. That is not what you would do with it. Example: I bought a low mileage (60,000) car from an older lady (old Maid school teacher) and it was never even left out of the garage at night or bad weather. The car was perfect. I kept my cars clean and maintained but I drive my cars pretty hard. I had it two weeks and blew up the engine. I'm not saying the LRD2 would blow up if you treated it the same as the previous owner, but if your going to off road you'll blow it up quickly. Modern modular engines with computers can last a very long time but the LRD2 is not a new school engine and it has inherent built in problems. It's an old school aluminum Buick engine from the 60:s. When my engine goes out, and it will, I will replace it with a Ford 300 C.I. six cylinder engine with an off road cam and fuel injection. Cost, Maybe $1500 and the old girl will give me another 200,000 miles.

Just saying, buyer beware especially with such a small budget. LRD2's bumpers will cost you a Min. of $1500, skid rails $350, winch $300, roof rack $600-$900 min., engine $3000, Tires for new lift $1000, Lift with shocks and break lines $600. That's over $4000 even without an engine. Think twice spend once if you can.
Yeah, if possible I would like to only have to buy 1 rig and upgrade it over time. That's why I'm really on the fence about the 4runner. I'm sure people will say it's probably a safer choice but I don't think they look nearly as good as the LRD2.

Perfect scenario would be to find a decent LDR2, add the modification I need for overlanding, and in a couple of year do an engine swap.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I'd go Toyota for the reliability, longevity, availability and price of parts (both OEM and aftermarket), and the fact that you'll probably get better MPG's. I'd say Jeep if you can find one running the venerable 4.0 I6 with the AX-15 5-speed manual like the XJ. The 4 speed auto isn't horrible, but MPG's will increase with the manual and extra gears. I'd say go Land Cruiser, but that's out of your budget. I'd say Jeep WJ but there's a bit to sift through to get the right one without the work. Nothing against Landy's, I just don't know them. I've been a Jeep guy for years so I stick with what I know, but the Land Cruiser might be the exception.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yeah, if possible I would like to only have to buy 1 rig and upgrade it over time. That's why I'm really on the fence about the 4runner. I'm sure people will say it's probably a safer choice but I don't think they look nearly as good as the LRD2.

Perfect scenario would be to find a decent LDR2, add the modification I need for overlanding, and in a couple of year do an engine swap.
Listings from Colorado area. Good price spread. There is one with 137,000 miles that looks to be about what you may want. Telephone info is included or email..

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
BEST BUY FOR ANYONE WANTING A BUILD !!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NEEDS NOTHING BUT AN OWNER !!

Blaklyte

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Marc
Last Name
D
Thanks for the help and post guys, but I'm in Canada so these price are way to high for me. 4000$ us would be 5250$ cnd and that's not counting transporting it to Canada and paying the tax on it. I found one US LRD2 in New-York for cheapthat might be ok. Also I'm trying to get a 2004 if possible so Ican get the diff lock. If not it would have tobe pre 2001 andit would have to be cheap enought for it to be worth me doing the modificationto get diff lock

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks for the help and post guys, but I'm in Canada so these price are way to high for me. 4000$ us would be 5250$ cnd and that's not counting transporting it to Canada and paying the tax on it. I found one US LRD2 in New-York for cheapthat might be ok. Also I'm trying to get a 2004 if possible so Ican get the diff lock. If not it would have tobe pre 2001 andit would have to be cheap enought for it to be worth me doing the modificationto get diff lock
Diff locks are not as necessary with the LRD2. They do a good job in stock form. Watch the manufactures videos on Utube to get the truth. If you want a lock it's fine but I doubt it would be better than a winch that even diff lock cars need.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

2004 Disco 2 for 3500$ but was out of town and someone else bought it. I feel that if I can find something around the 3k I would be left with enough money for a lift and tires if needed.
This is what I disagree with. LRs are incredibly capable stock Buy the best you can find/afford and forget bout a lift or tires until you discover you "need" them. I'm 60 and have done this often, I now drive a stock TJR on 33s with a highline. zerp lift. best decision.... in 60 years. Lifts are mostly about ego, joining "the big boy club". Ridiculous. Lifts are money pits. No aftermarket lift supplier can match the research and development dollars the manufacturer invested.

Buy the BEST you can find. Drive it completely stock for 5 years. You will love it. Outfit it to live within the stock spec.

Blaklyte

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Marc
Last Name
D
This is what I disagree with. LRs are incredibly capable stock Buy the best you can find/afford and forget bout a lift or tires until you discover you "need" them. I'm 60 and have done this often, I now drive a stock TJR on 33s with a highline. zerp lift. best decision.... in 60 years. Lifts are mostly about ego, joining "the big boy club". Ridiculous. Lifts are money pits. No aftermarket lift supplier can match the research and development dollars the manufacturer invested.

Buy the BEST you can find. Drive it completely stock for 5 years. You will love it. Outfit it to live within the stock spec.

Awesome, thanks for the input. I'm looking at a 4runner with already a lift and tire but if I decide to not go with the 4runner I will make sure to run the rig stock and see what happens.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

I totally agree. I have watched video after video on stock LRD2's and they will do more than I will ever do with mine. The nicest thing about the LRD2 is that you can do it in real comfort too. makes no diff if it hwy or back road, they are comfortable and easy on your back.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Whichever route you do go, I would say a good set of tires and recovery gear are the only purchase you need right off the bat. I mean, comms and first aid are essential, however, good tires make a huge difference in capability and the recovery gear speaks for itself. I started out with replacing my worn out tires with some decent AT's and then I worried about recovery points. I had a tow strap and d-rings. From there I decided on mods based on need. I ended up with a short lift for more clearance overall, to handle the extra weight, and for slightly larger tires. I was able to retain pretty much everything stock minus the springs as they were already sagging. I upgraded the shocks as they were worn. I added longer sway bar endlinks as the stock ones limited the amount of flex. Big lifts have their place if there is a need. Too many jack up their rigs for show and such, but rarely need that much. Once you get the basics down, focus on your kit. Solid base camp setup, interior mods, and outfit yourself with knowledge and gain more experience. This is key and is something I have figured out since the beginning. I know I jumped on some mods, but I still had them well thought out.

Reactions: Blaklyte

Beeftaco

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Rancho Mission Viejo, CA, USA
First Name
Danny
Last Name
T
Member #

A Toyota is the only thing I’d feel comfortable buying with high mileage especially if you are planning to make any solo trips. I’ve had 4 Toyota pickups in a row and put 100k-250k miles on all of them. I’ve been in for service twice and both were times for innocuous dashboard lights. The idea of breaking down 20 miles down a trail is about the worst thing I can think of.

Blaklyte

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Marc
Last Name
D
A Toyota is the only thing I’d feel comfortable buying with high mileage especially if you are planning to make any solo trips. I’ve had 4 Toyota pickups in a row and put 100k-250k miles on all of them. I’ve been in for service twice and both were times for innocuous dashboard lights. The idea of breaking down 20 miles down a trail is about the worst thing I can think of.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, I would love the LRD2 but I might be scared to do solo trip, and I'm sure my wife would be happier with something more reliable. I will go check the 4runner, it already has the basic mods I would have put on it right off the gate so that's a plus.

Now I just have to figure out how much it's worth and I much I should pay for it. It already has the lift, the front arb bumper, the Warn winch (never used), new ko2, lift and it looks super clean. How munch would you think it's worth, keep in mind that this is in cnd dollar so the price would be a little higher then in the US

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

But Billiebob, you just said you added 33" and a highline zerp lift. Isn't that modification ? I couldn't get 33" on my LRD2 without a least 2" of lift. Your right that "IF" a person doesn't go to places where They need 33" and a lift, They will never miss them. I want that bit of extra security. Except for extreme use The LRD2 does not need lockers either because of traction control devise.

Beeftaco

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Rancho Mission Viejo, CA, USA
First Name
Danny
Last Name
T
Member #

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, I would love the LRD2 but I might be scared to do solo trip, and I'm sure my wife would be happier with something more reliable. I will go check the 4runner, it already has the basic mods I would have put on it right off the gate so that's a plus.

Now I just have to figure out how much it's worth and I much I should pay for it. It already has the lift, the front arb bumper, the Warn winch (never used), new ko2, lift and it looks super clean. How munch would you think it's worth, keep in mind that this is in cnd dollar so the price would be a little higher then in the US
I wouldn’t pay much over the blue book value for all of the mods. It’s very likely you’ll end up like a lot of us and stick mostly to fire roads and easy-moderate trails in which case you won’t need any of that outside of the tires. If it were me I would focus on getting the newest/lowest miles I could afford. You can always make more money and buy more stuff to bolt on it later.

In the wise words of my mother. “It’s not a deal if you don’t need it”.

Blaklyte

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Marc
Last Name
D
I wouldn’t pay much over the blue book value for all of the mods. It’s very likely you’ll end up like a lot of us and stick mostly to fire roads and easy-moderate trails in which case you won’t need any of that outside of the tires. If it were me I would focus on getting the newest/lowest miles I could afford. You can always make more money and buy more stuff to bolt on it later.

In the wise words of my mother. “It’s not a deal if you don’t need it”.
That's wise :) but I do feel like I would want the bumper and winch in the future anyway. We probably all want stuff that we don't really need. Like rooftop tent, a normal tent could do, but people still get the rootop tent anyway.

Anyone know the blue book value of a 97 4runner with 243,000 km on it(that would be 150,000 miles). I feel like milage wise it's pretty good for the year.

Looking at the market around me there is 99 with 300,000 km with a winch but some issue that would need fixing and they are asking 3500$. Just in comparison the 97 is better priced.

Blaklyte

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Marc
Last Name
D
I found a new post for a super clean LRD2 near me and I have my eyes on a 4runner that already has the mods I want. What do you guys think?

1st: 1997 Toyota 4runner
243,000 Km ---> = 150,000 miles
Asking 5900$

Extras:
- brand new 33” K02 all terrain tire (5)
- 2” lift - Arb front bumper
- Warn winch never used and just needs to be wired up and have everything required
-4 led lights on two separate toggles

2nd: 2004 Land Rover Discovery SE7
137,000 Km ---> = 83,000 miles
Asking 6000$

Looks super clean, with really low mileage. 7 passenger is a little turn down for my as I would prefer to have the extra cargo space.

Last edited: