Help: Atlanta to the Grand Canyon route and stops advice:

• HTML tutorial

Rogue Donkey

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

LaGrange, GA
Member #

Me and my family are going to take 7-10 days in November to drive from Georgia to the Grand Canyon and back. This will obviously be a tight timeline, so I will need a pretty direct route. What I am looking for is suggestions on routes, stops, recommended locations to park/camp for the night.
Any and all help will be appreciated.

Hirvy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Jones OK
Member #

If you're traveling I-40 out north of Amarillo is Lake Meredith. It may be a bit of a drive from I-40 not sure how far you're willing to get off the highway. They've got some nice campgrounds and OHV area. We stayed in McBride camping area over the summer and it was quiet.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Like above if going on the 40 check out Cadillac ranch. Doesn't take much time and is a good spot for some cool photos. It is also a nice break to stretch legs on a long highway stint.

Reactions: Ruben de leon

Gryf

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

Meteor Crater is just SE of Flagstaff, maybe 5 miles south of I-40. Try and plan to pass that area during the day so it's open.

One note: It's just past the time zone line in the summer so it's likely an hour earlier than you think it is. Use the clock on your phone to know the time. Don't look at the clock in the car, see is 4:30 and think you can't go see it like I did :)