Launch Member

Contributor I

Duluth, MN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Moore
Member #

New to the group. I'm in Duluth. Hoping to do a lot more exploring in superior national forest. Just moved back from 15 years of exploring in SC and NC, from the coast to the mountains. I'm old school , no Facebook or the like, I prefer to write letters! Bottom line, forums are not my strong suit, but just letting everyone know I'm out here and willing to help or be available here in NE MN.

Reactions: toxicity_27

North Shore Scout

Rank II

Enthusiast III

New to the group. I'm in Duluth. Hoping to do a lot more exploring in superior national forest. Just moved back from 15 years of exploring in SC and NC, from the coast to the mountains. I'm old school , no Facebook or the like, I prefer to write letters! Bottom line, forums are not my strong suit, but just letting everyone know I'm out here and willing to help or be available here in NE MN.
sweet!! i live in silver bay up the shore about 60 miles! if you are ever interested feel free to send me a message on here and we can meet up to chat! i know a bunch of good places to camp! specially if you have an atv!

northwood

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Crosslake, MN, USA
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Heisler
Member #

Hi everyone, I'm Evan. New to the forum and new to overlanding. Born and raised in MN, currently residing in Crosslake (north of Brainerd, deep in cabin country). I'm not too far from the Spider Lake trails.

I hope to learn as much as I can on this forum while I shop for a rig. It would be great to meet some local enthusiasts some day.

Reactions: North Shore Scout

Snowflake

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Minneapolis, MN, USA
First Name
Mookioe
Last Name
Tierney
Hey All, I'm here in the twin cities but travel north or east just about every weekend to get into the forest. I have a place north of Eau Claire and frequent Duluth, Walker, Clear Lake, St. Cloud, etc. Would love to get out on a forest trip this summer with a group of people. Big mountain biker, hiker, camper, you know the drill. I've been living in Oregon the past year and really leaned into the overlanding bug while out there. Would love to continue here. Message me if you are interested in getting together in the cities or going on a trip somewhere!

North Shore Scout

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Hey All, I'm here in the twin cities but travel north or east just about every weekend to get into the forest. I have a place north of Eau Claire and frequent Duluth, Walker, Clear Lake, St. Cloud, etc. Would love to get out on a forest trip this summer with a group of people. Big mountain biker, hiker, camper, you know the drill. I've been living in Oregon the past year and really leaned into the overlanding bug while out there. Would love to continue here. Message me if you are interested in getting together in the cities or going on a trip somewhere!

hey bud! im north of duluth in silver bay! i have an electric fat tire bike and atv. we have TONS of trails up here! theres a hiking/biking trail from duluth all the way up the north shore! so shoot me a message if you are up in the area! have a good one!

Snowflake

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Minneapolis, MN, USA
First Name
Mookioe
Last Name
Tierney
hey bud! im north of duluth in silver bay! i have an electric fat tire bike and atv. we have TONS of trails up here! theres a hiking/biking trail from duluth all the way up the north shore! so shoot me a message if you are up in the area! have a good one!
Oh most definitely. I'll be coming up your way in a few weeks and will drop you a line. I may head to the sawbill put in for BWCA for a few days...

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I did some work on some hotels up that way. The Residence (I think) in Duluth, Two Harbors (Burlington Bay and Superior Shores) Beaver Bay (AmericInn), and I think Silver Bay. Used to build commercial pools and spas.

North Shore Scout

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I did some work on some hotels up that way. The Residence (I think) in Duluth, Two Harbors (Burlington Bay and Superior Shores) Beaver Bay (AmericInn), and I think Silver Bay. Used to build commercial pools and spas.
yeah the american inn has a HUGE pool! big slide into it too! we should have a minnesota overlander meet up here someday!!

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

yeah the american inn has a HUGE pool! big slide into it too! we should have a minnesota overlander meet up here someday!!
Yup, definitely worked on that one then. Had to replace the pump for the slide once upon a time.. Think we had to do some stuff with the floor drains when laws changed around that too, but I could be mistaken.

We should try to figure something out meeting up there. Would be nice to get back up that way again.

Snowflake

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Minneapolis, MN, USA
First Name
Mookioe
Last Name
Tierney
I know this is a Minnesota thread but... does anyone want to organize a trans wisconsin adventure trail trip in September? I've been jonesing to get out onto some forest roads and dirt tracks after arriving back in MN. I think a rendezvous somewhere in the middle of Wisconsin to shorten the overall length a bit (See the map at the attached link below. We could determine how much of the trail to do and how long we want to take once we get a headcount and figure out where people are coming from) and then do the top half of the trail in a long weekend. I'm also a mountain biker and would love to take time in the afternoons to take a quick ride or hike and find a swimming hole to cool off in. I'd be camping out of my rig and planning to drive around 125-150 miles per day for 2-3 days on gravel, dirt, some mixed sand/mud, and some pavement. If you have 4wd and some decent tires, the trail should be navigable although I haven't done it and I've been monitoring the Chequamagon forest's road repair schedule which means we need a few chain saws and extra chains between us. If you have a high clearance rig the site below says you can take a few of the ATV portions that likely add more off road experience to the overall trip. The two trails meet up frequently so shouldn't be a problem to split for half a day etc. Below is a great website with a brief overview of the trip. They also have the route that you can download in .gpx and pull into Gaia or your GPS app of choice. It's a bit too long for a short get together and people could extend the trip or do the lower section of the trail before meeting up with a larger convoy as needed.

Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail

The super rough and brief itinerary could be:
Thursday night: Camp at a set spot for the night to allow people to roll in after work and into the night.
Friday: Get our ducks in a row in the morning and then just head north most of the day through the forest. Stop along the way for camping in the Chequamagon National Forest
Saturday: Drive the upper section north of the forest towards Lk. Superior/Bayfield/Madeline Island and stop around the south shore to camp.
Sunday: Split up or break into smaller groups depending on which direction you are going back and drive home. Would be nice to have the day to explore along the way instead of cramming too much into this and getting home super late on Sunday.

Let me know if anyone is interested! Labor Day weekend would also be a good time to be able to do this on a Friday-Monday instead of Thursday-Sunday. Could also do a Friday - Sunday thing if people wanted to keep it shorter and more travel intensive vs. stopping and exploring out of the car.

TR5 Overland

Rank 0

Contributor I

Minnesota
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Raaymakers
Hi everyone, Chris here from TR5 Overland! We are a family of four but soon to be five and we are pretty new to overlanding but not new to camping. Just bought a 2016 F150 with absolutely no intentions of overlanding and didn’t even know what it was prior to the purchase. I was actually going to buy a trailer and then I stumbled across a roof top tent and the rest was history! The truck is pretty much bone stock with the exception of a 2in lift in the front. If anyone knows of some relatively easy to moderate trails and some cool camping spots in the area please let me know! I will also be starting a YouTube channel that will be showing you our overland adventures and truck upgrades. Feel free to check out our Instagram @tr5overland

Cheers and see you on the trails!
8FA65D1D-EB22-49FD-AF4F-53FA5B6F09D5.jpeg

matgmaer33

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Hey all. New to the forums. Been an OB member a few years now. I’m in the north metro Minneapolis side. Is there still a group meeting in maple wood every month?

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Hey all. New to the forums. Been an OB member a few years now. I’m in the north metro Minneapolis side. Is there still a group meeting in maple wood every month?
It's a different group that meets in Maplewood every month, but it is overlanding related.

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

When and where is the next meeting?
I will have to get back to you. It will be in October. I believe the second Thursday at Crooked Pint in Maplewood. I was out last week with no cell service, and haven't gotten caught up on that side. I haven't been able to attend one of those meetings in a while due to other commitments. I will double check this week and let you know though.

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

When and where is the next meeting?
I will have to get back to you. It will be in October. I believe the second Thursday at Crooked Pint in Maplewood. I was out last week with no cell service, and haven't gotten caught up on that side. I haven't been able to attend one of those meetings in a while due to other commitments. I will double check this week and let you know though.
It is the second Thursday of every month at Crooked Pint in Maplewood, MN. This is not an OLB meeting, but a Midwest Overland Society meeting. Still overland related, but not everyone there is on this forum, and vice versa.

DarkMandalorian_Actual

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Big Lake, Minnesota, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Minion
Member #

Service Branch
Law Enforcement
Hello MN Overlanders.

I am new to OLB and overlanding in general. I am an outdoorsy person and can probably hold my own, but I would love to get to know people in MN.

Rig: '17 Ram 2500 Laramie Limited
Experience: Camping, Hunting, Kayaking, Hiking, ATVing, and just about everything else outdoors.

North Shore Scout

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Hello MN Overlanders.

I am new to OLB and overlanding in general. I am an outdoorsy person and can probably hold my own, but I would love to get to know people in MN.

Rig: '17 Ram 2500 Laramie Limited
Experience: Camping, Hunting, Kayaking, Hiking, ATVing, and just about everything else outdoors.

Welcome bud!! im from the north eastern parts of minnesota! im new to the overlanding world myself. hoping to start work on my truck next year! maybe a little bit this winter!