Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

hey everyone! I just joined the forum and wanted to say hi! I moved to rapid city, SD a year ago and have finally had sometime to do a little off-roading in the area. I am planning on doing a few long weekend camping trips to Colorado, Wyoming and Montana in the near future. If anyone has suggestions that would be great!

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Welcome from Iowa. You might be the first South Dakotan on this forum. But membership is growing fast so you probably won't be the only one for long. One of these days I hope to hit some trails over there.

Reactions: Daniel Etter

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

@Daniel Etter Hello and welcome to the group!
Im over in Mn. and hopefully will be travelling over to the Black Hills and Custer State Park, sometime in June.

Maybe we could talk about some of the trails that you know of,
and you could recommend some "off the beaten path" places to camp near Rapid City, Hill City, Deadwood, Sturgis, and Lead.
We will be hitting the Badlands and Needles and Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse and of course, Wall Drug. Hope to hear from you soon!

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

@Daniel Etter Hello and welcome to the group!
Im over in Mn. and hopefully will be travelling over to the Black Hills and Custer State Park, sometime in June.

Maybe we could talk about some of the trails that you know of,
and you could recommend some "off the beaten path" places to camp near Rapid City, Hill City, Deadwood, Sturgis, and Lead.
We will be hitting the Badlands and Needles and Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse and of course, Wall Drug. Hope to hear from you soon!
If you go to the forest service website, they have a downloadable trail map for the black hills. Many of the trails around here and in the badlands require a permit which you can get from one of the forest service offices in town, or you can order one online. They are $25 for a year round pass which is a great deal! I'll look over my maps and get the trail numbers and quite/scenic camping spots.

Reactions: NorthStar96

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

Welcome from Iowa. You might be the first South Dakotan on this forum. But membership is growing fast so you probably won't be the only one for long. One of these days I hope to hit some trails over there.
There are tons of trails across the black hills and badlands area! You should definitely make it out here sometime!

Rubilocal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pollock Pines Ca
Member #

Hello Daniel and welcome.
I usually spend a week hunting the black hills every year. Most of which I've been up near Deerfield lake near Hill City. Lots of great roads and scenery to explore. Keep us informed of your adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

That's the
Hello Daniel and welcome.
I usually spend a week hunting the black hills every year. Most of which I've been up near Deerfield lake near Hill City. Lots of great roads and scenery to explore. Keep us informed of your adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the area I've been going the most, working my way north up towards spearfish which is a little quieter than the Custer area

Reactions: maxfederle89

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
hey everyone! I just joined the forum and wanted to say hi! I moved to rapid city, SD a year ago and have finally had sometime to do a little off-roading in the area. I am planning on doing a few long weekend camping trips to Colorado, Wyoming and Montana in the near future. If anyone has suggestions that would be great!
I've spent a lot of time up there in the Rapid City area in the last few years. That's a sleeper of a town, cruising right under a lot of radars. Mountain Biking is great, the Rapid City Rush are a fantastic hockey team, Sanford's is a good place to get a beer, and the best Indian food I've ever had is right downtown at the Kathmandu Cafe. There's also the Independent Ale House, and a Dunn Brothers Coffee.

Cranky Jeff's bicycles hooked me up with a bike rental, out to the Centennial Trails and a few other spots. But right in town I rode at Chuck Lien family park.

I did some time in Wyoming near Guernsey, at the State Park, and up in Glendo State Park. Of course we camped and drove in Thunder Basin and Black Hills National Forest. I would very seriously consider living up there if the right opportunity presented itself. Are you military?

Sent from my iPad using Overland Bound Talk

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I've spent a lot of time up there in the Rapid City area in the last few years. That's a sleeper of a town, cruising right under a lot of radars. Mountain Biking is great, the Rapid City Rush are a fantastic hockey team, Sanford's is a good place to get a beer, and the best Indian food I've ever had is right downtown at the Kathmandu Cafe. There's also the Independent Ale House, and a Dunn Brothers Coffee.

Cranky Jeff's bicycles hooked me up with a bike rental, out to the Centennial Trails and a few other spots. But right in town I rode at Chuck Lien family park.

I did some time in Wyoming near Guernsey, at the State Park, and up in Glendo State Park. Of course we camped and drove in Thunder Basin and Black Hills National Forest. I would very seriously consider living up there if the right opportunity presented itself. Are you military?

Sent from my iPad using Overland Bound Talk
I was in the military and decided to get out and use the gi bill. My fiancé is from Rapid which is why we moved out here from Bethany Beach, DE. The businesses here are all locally owned and friendly which is similar to coastal Delaware, except there is a significant change in scenery! Lol.

Mr. Nelson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Inwood, Iowa, United States
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZZK
Moving back to my home state of South Dakota in the next couple months. I'll be living on the East side, but have family over on the West side. Is anyone organizing meets or are there any groups that roll out ever so often together out in SoDak?

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I would like to organize something but there are very few people on here within a reasonable distance of Rapid City. If you are ever on the west river side it would be great to try and organize something, maybe do a convoy with people in Minnesota or something. What rig do you have?

Mr. Nelson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZZK
I have a 2004 Toyota 4runner. Not too much done to it, I would think, but it has a modest 3 inch lift and 34" BFG TA KO2's to get me places. My younger brother lives out in Rapid City and he goes wheeling. He has a jeep and recently just bought a Toyota FJ Cruiser, so I know he will be down to venture out when the time comes.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

@Jrahn0822 Nice! Camp 5 is definitely the place to go for more serious off-road/ rock crawling. With more people in this region becoming active, we can try to set up a meet and greet sometime.

Jrahn0822

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wakefield, NE, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

Yes that would be awesome. I'm going to try and make it in July for the Toyota cruiser meet up out there.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Mr. Nelson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZZK
Well gents a couple weeks ago I headed out to the Hills for a birthday weekend getaway and got to do a little off-roading with my brother and his FJ up by Gelena. First time really testing my 4runner out on some good terrain to be honest and thoroughly impressed! We ended up taking route 170 to 170.5I and ended up taking the creek through route 8043 and 8044 back out to 567.1 and 172.1 to Camp 5. Great route! My family and I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to get back out there for some more fun. Next time I roll out there, I definitely need to get on here to try and rally the troops for some fun!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

Well gents a couple weeks ago I headed out to the Hills for a birthday weekend getaway and got to do a little off-roading with my brother and his FJ up by Gelena. First time really testing my 4runner out on some good terrain to be honest and thoroughly impressed! We ended up taking route 170 to 170.5I and ended up taking the creek through route 8043 and 8044 back out to 567.1 and 172.1 to Camp 5. Great route! My family and I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to get back out there for some more fun. Next time I roll out there, I definitely need to get on here to try and rally the troops for some fun!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Glad you had fun in the hills! I have started planning a meet up for this area, but haven't been able to complete and set it up yet due to work/school. It would be fun to hit some trails with a group!